Advise on taser device for wife?

This is a discussion on Advise on taser device for wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Want to start off by saying Ive been a lurker here for awhile, and finally decided to join. Seems like a great forum. Glad to ...

Thread: Advise on taser device for wife?

Advise on taser device for wife?

Want to start off by saying Ive been a lurker here for awhile, and finally decided to join. Seems like a great forum. Glad to be on board. I realize Ive posted this in the carry gun category, but the knives and other weapons category seemed like more of just a knife category to me, so I put it here since this would potentially be my wifes primary protection device.

Anyways, here goes. I have my carry permit (actually called license to carry handgun in IN), and Im quite happy with my glock 27, but my wife is still a little iffy on carrying a handgun. We have 2 boys ages 1 and 2 and she just isnt quite prepared mentally to start carrying a handgun, I think partially because of our kids. She would like to start carrying a "weapon". She mentioned a taser. Im actually thinking maybe this is not a bad idea for someone like her. She has family in Ohio and often travels over to visit them. So Im also taking this into consideration, because Ohio will not honor Indiana permits. She did finally apply for her lifetime permit tonight, so in about 12 weeks she should have that. This is more just for her carry defense weapon. I do own other handguns she can use for protection at our home. I would love to here any real world advice on tasers. I do know the main difference between a taser and stun gun, but thats pretty much where my knowledge on them stops. My wife is medium/small frame, 135 lbs. Any certain models any of you recommend? Wheres best place to shop for them? Any advice appreciated!

P.S. I am working with her trying to rid her of her fear of guns. I taught her the basic functions of my beretta, but to be honest, I dont feel confident she would be able to operate it quickly if the need ever came. Mainly what worries me with her is working the slide and remembering to turn off the safety, clear a jam, etc... I am most likely going to purchase a revolver for the home eventually for this reason. Like I said, its a work in progress. Im sure she'll get there with time.
    Last edited by Hollow_point; April 4th, 2013 at 04:21 AM.

2. Remove Ads

My daughter was a prison guard for several years until recently. And has used and watched tazers used in that setting quite a lot. For all their hype they are iffy at best. If they work as they should they are effective. But oft as not they dont work as they should. Barbs dont get thru heavy clothing, a barb misses, both miss, wires break etc etc etc.

A snub 38 would be much better for her. All that being said if a Tazer is all she will do then its better than a harsh look. And less messy than peeing and throwing up the BG
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If you're not ready for a firearm, or she doesn't want a firearm, the only real choice is the taser c2. Not as expensive as the police versions and still has the flying fish hooks, and can drive taze without the hooks or once they're fired.

Thanks for the replies. One of my concerns was not penetrating clothing. Being able to taze after potentially missing a target sounds like a key selling point. I'll check into that c2. I admit to not doing much research on the things yet. Figured this would be a good place to start and ask for real world current info. I agree on the snub 38. She could carry it and Id feel comfortable with her being able to operate it, and that would solve my issue of worrying about her protecting herself and our kids at home while Im away. But she does know where the shotgun is and she knows how to use that pretty well. I wont turn this into a topic thats probably been beat to death on here before with "what GUN for my wife" questions lol. Shes got her mind set on a taser for carrying right now anyway. Ill try to change her mind, but also want her to feel comfortable.

Your wife is about the same size as mine. And mine is 52. Not particularly strong in the arms, and hands anymore though she is familiar with firearms. If she will go for it, I have a SW40ve basically the same weapon as a Sd9ve by Smith and Wesson. Not crazy expensive and my wife has no trouble working the slide on my 40 at all. Its striker fired, pretty much a Glock copy by Smith no safetys except the little passive one on the trigger but with a trigger pull heavier than the Glock. Comparable to the DA revolver. my 40 13 rounds plus 1 the 9mm in the same model is i think 15 plus one.

That might be an option with a little more ummph behind it and more capacity though its not as small as the snubby. But for a house gun its great and mine is my EDC.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Not penetrating clothing is iffy. You've seen the spark jump a 2-3 inch gap between prongs on a taser right? Well, if the barbs don't hit their skin but almost make it there, the sparks may still jump the gap and complete the circuit.

Biggest thing is to check local laws. Interestingly enough, in Oklahoma (last I checked anyway) the law says next to nothing about stun guns or tasers. The only thing I've ever seen that it does say is that you can't use one against a police officer. Other than that, nothing. However your laws may vary, so definitely check up on that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My wife has a Taser that she carries. It has a red dot laser sight and is good for up to 15 feet. It looks like a big pink vibrator:) To me this is way better than nothing and it is a full power Taser brand. The worst thing is having to buy new battery packs pretty often whether it is used or not.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I wouldn't taze her, that's just going to make her that much madder when she regains her composure. If she is so out of control that you are considering electric shock, I would recommend drugging her first and only using electricity as a final option. Remember she may be awake when you are asleep and the female mind is readily capable of conceiving all types of deviant punishment and torture techniques. Please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I wouldn't taze her, that's just going to make her that much madder when she regains her composure. If she is so out of control that you are considering electric shock, I would recommend drugging her first and only using electricity as a final option. Remember she may be awake when you are asleep and the female mind is readily capable of conceiving all types of deviant punishment and torture techniques. Please be careful.
    super funny. that's what I thought when I read the title as well.

to the OP; when you taze your wife, please video it. at least let us know how it went.

Have you considered OC spray? I really like the Kimber pepper blaster.

Its going to be tuff for her to carry with two little ones, bags, strollers hers hands will be full most of the time. Her best defense is going to be situational awareness an staying away from risk areas. Another words you keep her car filled an go to the bank an fast store trips. Stay in the better super markets well light lots of people round. Stay away from ATMs do online banking. Have security system at home. A cheap one is at chamberlain garage doors. Little black box in house on night stand wireless sensors can transmit up to 400 ft you place them outside they shoot beam 88 ft i had four of them covered whole yard it beeps in house when anything crosses beam ony 150.00 good luck

Links