Anyone ever hear of this?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever hear of this? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On another forum, a guy said he sprayed the firing pin hole with gun scrubber and a lot of junk washed out. Shreds of brass ...

Thread: Anyone ever hear of this?

Anyone ever hear of this?

On another forum, a guy said he sprayed the firing pin hole with gun scrubber and a lot of junk washed out. Shreds of brass etc. this was in a kahr cm9. This runs against every practice I've ever heard.
    Aren't you supposed to remove the firing pin, clean it & run it dry?

Anyone else do this?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    NO.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

GH
    Me either.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    He must think he owns a Glock.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

People shoot tens of thousands of rounds and probably don't do that
    Me neither and my guns work just as good

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Took apart the firing pin and ejector on my 1911 a month or so ago- cleaned out (what seemed like) enough crap to keep the firing pin from even fitting in there with it. It stopped throwing brass back at my face, and runs a lot smoother now.

As for my striker fired pistols, I never did anything like that because I didn't want to mess anything up (break that one piece of something loose to get caught in a spring or something), so I never tried it. - It seems to me to be like servicing an automatic transmission; either do it often, or not at all- none of that half-way 'it's been 200,000 miles, I should probably change my fluid and filter' stuff. Then you have to start replacing major components (transmission) because it breaks up all that nasty stuff that's built up and clogs or sticks in other things that are supposed to move freely.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, I've done that with my S&W 3rd Gens but not with my Glock. The Glock slide is much easier to break down for cleaning. Use a cleaner that leaves no residue (Brakeclean, gun scrubber, etc.).

The brass shavings are indicative of sharp edges on the firing pin hole shaving the case base as it slides up. It needs to be dehorned (chamfered), particularly on the top side. The shavings can cause light strikes or jam up the firing pin entirely.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I actually had a Ruger M77 .30-06 that got completely tied up while sighting in the day before I was leaving to go deer hunting by a tiny shaving of brass that worked its way into the bolt through the firing pin hole. Was amazed how small a piece this was and how thoroughly it shut down the rifle.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the same thing could occur with a handgun. Keep the dedicated self-defense handgun properly lubricated and also detail strip it infrequently to make certain that there's been no accumulation of gunk.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I actually had a Ruger M77 .30-06 that got completely tied up while sighting in the day before I was leaving to go deer hunting by a tiny shaving of brass that worked its way into the bolt through the firing pin hole. Was amazed how small a piece this was and how thoroughly it shut down the rifle.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the same thing could occur with a handgun. Keep the dedicated self-defense handgun properly lubricated and also detail strip it infrequently to make certain that there's been no accumulation of gunk.
    This is also why one should be careful not to over lubricate a firearm.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Links