Am I Crazy?

Am I Crazy?

This is a discussion on Am I Crazy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am the owner of a shiny Kahr PM9 with big dot night sights. The gun is a treat to shoot. I just picked up ...

View Poll Results: Would you trust your life with a Keltec PF9

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 57.69%
  • No way!

33 42.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Am I Crazy?

Am I Crazy?

I am the owner of a shiny Kahr PM9 with big dot night sights. The gun is a treat to shoot. I just picked up a Keltec PF9 and for some reason I like it better. Is this like owning a Corvette and a Yugo but liking the Yugo better? There is some novelty with Keltecs but I can't put my finger on it....?????

VIP Member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I voted "no way!". Be careful with that 'C' word...you may end up on a list somewhere when they decide from whom they are going to confiscate things from. Oh wait...just noticed you're in Texas...proceeeed...
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Personally I think the Kahr is just about as good as it gets for a slim 9mm. However, if you like the Keltec and shoot it well then I say get a nice holster and carry it.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    If it works..............
    I'd do the standard 500+/- before I'd carry it though

If the PF9 was the only gun available to me, sure. Given my other, real-world choices of Springfield Armory, CZ, Sig, Kahr, Smith & Wesson, Ruger and others, no.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Hmm... I always thought it was the beerholder.
    GhostMaker and sixgun like this.

I owned one and my buddy as well neither of us had problems. The gun was flawless shot as well as i could. I ended up using it as trade for a G26.
    Last edited by AustinS; April 5th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

If all I had for a gun was a NAA .22, so be it, if it's what you like and trust, go with it.
    There are lots of choices out there, and only YOU can determine which 'tools' you should select, and how well they work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can't say. I.have never handled or fired one.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

It looks by the poll that people wouldn't trust a Keltec! I guess I have had bad luck with Kahrs and oddly good luck with Keltecs...

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I like um to ah modern-day Saturday Night Special. Because they can be had for $250. NIB. Half the cost of ah quality Shield and ah lot less then ah trustworthy g26.

From what I read on the always reliable { bonjour belle } internet. They are hit or miss; more miss then hit.

They are similar to a diamond in the rough, so most need to be given some TLC before they become fully reliable. That is why they cost less then similar little 9mm's.

I personally would spend the extra coin and get ah Shield or g26 and KNOW I have a quality piece too, as the poll asks; trust my/your life with!

I just like too know that when I activate the bang-switch on any firearm`s that it will react as intended mostly 101% of the time. I'm just funny "ha ha ha" that way

Had a couple of kel techs in 9mm had a bad mag with a new one out of the box called KT they sent a new one here in 3 days. Flawless after that and shot the heck out of it. Other one never had the first hicup no matter what you fed it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I've never fired any Kel-Tec gun, but I could answer the question pretty easy if I owned one. If you shoot it a bunch and it runs well, then who cares what anyone else says? The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the old saying goes. It's possible to get a pretty decent gun from a maker everyone thinks is dodgy just like you sometimes get a lemon from a great company. In the end you really have to verify by just running the gun for awhile. The KT might not be the best CCW for everyone but if you like and you've proven its reliability to your satisfaction I say go for it!
    sensei2 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

If you like it, you like it. I EDC a gun from a manufacturer with a hit or miss reputation, and just understand that it is the case.

Go with what you like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links