Shield 9mm Failure to Eject Issues

This is a discussion on Shield 9mm Failure to Eject Issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my Shield 9mm back in January after waiting only about 2 weeks, which I was psyched about. I really like the gun. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shield 9mm Failure to Eject Issues

I got my Shield 9mm back in January after waiting only about 2 weeks, which I was psyched about. I really like the gun. I like the way that it shoots. I like the trigger feel. I like the size of it with the extended magazine... However, I'm having failure to extract (FTE) issues that I thought I would let you all know about. After I got the gun, I got myself 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr ammo. I shot that ammo, and I had 3 FTEs in those 200 rounds. I was a little alarmed by that failure rate, but I thought "It's a new gun, I'll keep shooting it and see what happens". So I got 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr just to shoot something different to rule out it being an ammo issue. So I shot the 100 rounds of Blazer and had 2 FTEs. So at that point I had 5 FTEs in 300 rounds which was unacceptable in my eyes. So I initiated contact with S&W Customer Service. They got back to me in about 2 days and got me a return label to send it in. I sent it, and I had it back in about 2 weeks, which I thought was a good turnaround. S&W replaced the extractor and range tested the gun, and sent it back. I couldn't wait to shoot it once I got it back, so I went to the range. I shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr, and 50 rounds of Lawman 115gr. Had 1 FTE at about my 30th round shot. I wanted to throw the gun! After that FTE at about round 30, the remaining 120 rounds went without issue. That was last weekend and I have not had a chance to shoot it again. I'll try to shoot again this weekend, and see what happens. I have my fingers crossed. Below are pictures of 3 of the first 5 FTEs for reference.... Again, I love the gun when it works, and S&W's Customer Service has been outstanding so far. I'm going to shoot some more and see what happens. If I get any more FTEs, it will be going back to S&W again, and I am confident that they will correct the issue.
    Attached Images

Could it be you? lol. I've never had my M&P malfunction, or have a FTE. In like 3000 rounds... I've shot the shield quite a bit as well, just not as high a round count..never an issue.

My GF had a FTE on her first shot with my M&P... I'm convinced it was her limp wristing....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your issues. My Shield in 9mm has run flawless with WWB, Remington/UMC, and Blazer Brass.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

DragonFly, yeah, it could potentially be me. I have heard before about limp wristing being a possability, but I've had people who know what they are talking about watch me shoot and have not said anything. It is something that I can keep a closer eye on.

Tundra, I'm glad to hear that you have had no issues. I believe that if the issue is truly with the gun, that it is an isolated issue. I have not heard of a whole lot of issues with the shield with the exception of a few having issues with full magazines inadvertently releasing.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Is there anyone else available that could shoot the pistol and see if they have the same issues?
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

My M&P 9C is at S&W right now for the same problem. I have seen other posts about FTE with some of the M&P models. I'm hoping when I get it back all is well. Sounds like your problem might be solved.

Tundra, my brother is a good shooter, but he has never shot more than 1 or 2 magazines at a time through it, so it's not a good enough measuring stick. I'll have to have him shoot 100 or so through it and see what he comes up with.

Timbrr, hopefully you get yours taken care of. I hope mine is straightened out as well. Time will tell I guess.

My Shield has been flawless. Did you clean and lube before your first trip to the range? Always a good idea since some Mfg's may use a heavier grease when packaging the gun for distribution. That could certainly affect cycling.

I haven't had any problem with my Shield - got it two weeks ago with about 150 rounds through it.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

It was cleaned prior to shooting for the first time.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    That stinks. The only problem in the 500 rounds of various ammo was a failure to lock on the last round once. The shield is very normally a great gun.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

My Shield has been flawless when I'm shooting, however it is a FTE-omatic for my wife. She has a tendency to limp wrist any semi-auto pistol that isn't her Bersa Thunder 380. Like others have said, make sure the gun and magazines are clean and make sure you have a good firm grip on the gun.

Thanks I'll pay more attention to my grip as I continue to shoot. If it turns out to be the problem, I'll be extatic! I like the gun a lot, I just want to be confident in it.

Oh, and WannabeaCPA, when you are shooting, pay attention to where your hand is on the gun. My brother had the slide fail to lock back on the last round on my Shield, but it turns out that his hand was inadvertently on the slide lock, which kept it from locking back.

Hey buddy, my shield behaved very similar my first few range trips. The gun comes extremely tight from the factory IMO. It has loosened up some and now it is flawless and very very accurate. I wouldn't worry yet, Rack that slide about 100 times and dryfire the crap out of it and I think you will have better luck your next range trip. I was having ftf fte or doublefeeds as well as having to tap the back of the slide to get the gun to go fully into battery very often at first. I wouldn't send it to smith just yet ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links