Defensive Carry banner

1911 rail gun for duty use?

4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  GH 
#1 ·
Intellectually, I have preferred the concept of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other.

After actually practicing building clearing the other night, I am considering a duty gun w/rail.

It will have to be a 1911. :king:

Currently looking at Colt and Kimber offerings, but am open to other options--Wilson looks pretty nice, but the pricetag is out of my reach.

Anybody out there with thoughts or relevant experiences??

THANKS!!!

#3 ·
I own 2 kimbers, and have shot several others. I would look at the tactical entry from kimber if this a true duty/HD gun. Extended magwell for easier reloads, comes with night sights, and has the rail you are looking for. That said, you can't go wrong with a Colt either.

#4 ·
Colt all the way.

#5 ·
Take a look at the Rock Islands. They might fit your need.

#10 ·
I am a 1911 fan. I love my Kimber. You will spend $1,800 to get into the quality and options needed to be a robust and reliable duty pistol with 8 rounds. You then get to spend the next week properly breaking it in. Then you will enjoy time with this piece of history keeping it properly tuned. This is quality time for us gun nuts. Kind of like they guy who tunes and washes his '63 Stingray so he can keep it running in peak condition.

Or you could buy two H&K USP's, carry 13 rounds, and be done with it. Running a 1911 s a beautiful thing, but requires $$ and devotion.

Just for laughs:
YouTube

#13 ·
Simple, they're not built for that kind of use. They're entry level guns built to a certain price point to attract a particular market segment. The metallurgy, tolerances, and quality of the internal parts of the low buck guns from the PI, Turkey, etc. are not the same as those made by Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and so on. This is the same reason police depts and the military don't issue guns from RIA, Bersa, Taurus, Hi Point, and the like. If you want some good guidelines on picking a 1911 for duty use check out the 10-8 website.

Yes, I have owned RIAs and they were good guns for what they were. However, when I carried a 1911 on duty I carried a Springfield and a S&W. Currently I carry a FNP45 Tactical on duty and Colt 1911s off duty and in plain clothes.

#16 ·
Thanks, However their are military carrying bersa guns as well as police departments (Argentina). The RIA is a little better than what you describe. I am not one to say that a gun is not worthy because the local PD or the military do not use it. I appreciate you explaining your reasoning...

#15 ·
Well put WC145. I have owned 2 RIA's that were superb right out of the box. I wouldn't have a problem carrying one for duty if that was all I had. Given the choice, however, I would rather go with Colt, Springfield, Kimber, STI, Wilson, etc., for the reasons you stated. Absolutley nothing against RIA, but they are entry level for a reason.
I was THIS CLOSE to getting into a Colt Rail Gun a few months back and I still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that deal!

#22 ·
GREAT links!!!! Thanks for the info. All you other guys as well, thanks for the comments.

#24 ·
I suggest S&W. They have the 1911 down to an art. That also may be why there is a lot of difficulty in locating one. My collection has a lot of various brands of 1911 in it. The S&W even beats the customs in feel, accuracy and dependability.

#25 ·
I'm not telling anyone to carry what cops do, the OP is a cop and asked about duty quality railed 1911s, my suggestion to him to buy a Colt and to avoid RIAs for duty carry was based on my experience and knowledge as a LEO that carries and competes with 1911s. If you've got a RIA that has been gone through and upgraded and you want to carry it, more power to you, if you trust it that is what matters. However, it doesn't make sense for a cop to buy a gun that has to be built up to duty quality when there are guns that meet and exceed such criteria out of the box readily available. Heck, chances are excellent that the department he works for wouldn't even approve a RIA for carry.
WC145--I'm not sure that I'd call myself a cop quite yet. I am in the Reserve Academy, getting close to graduating and being sworn, been doing LOTS of ride-alongs, and find myself looking at situations that I see and thinking about how I'd handle it......BUT, I know that I am actually like some kid who is almost done with Basic training thinking that he is a Soldier :embarassed: But, thanks for the info and encouragement. I am now looking into sources to buy a Colt rail gun with some kind of LEO discount.

#27 ·
I whole heartily agree with the statement that you do not want to choose a RIA or other lower tier gun for duty. The problem here is that there are 2 reason people buy these lower tier guns, 1 they want a 1911 but cant afford, or dont want to spend the money on a top level gun, or 2, they like the 1911 platform but only want a range gun. Of course there may be other reasons, and all of these are perfectly fine.

The problem is, when you attempt to convince yourself that what you have is up to the job of other top tier guns and emotionally defend your purchase against suggestion that its not up to ALL jobs.

But the truth is, a profession where the firearm is carried with not just the possibility, but the probability that it will be used at some point and time, and probably numerous times, is not the place for testing a cheaper product. When one is charged with the duty to run to the gunfire, instead of away from it, your sidearm needs a pedigree of proven performance built with the very best parts.

Now, to tell the truth, I have actually considered the purchase of a cheaper made gun like one from Turkey or the Philippines as a knock around gun for hiking or just hard abuse.
But, I couldnt bring myself to do it when I considered a couple of things. First, regardless of the use, I will still have to trust it to be up to the task. And 2, I can put a couple hundred dollars more with the 450 or 500 you would spend on s budget model and have a used Colt 1991, or a Springfield, which are made to a much higher standard with respect to steel hardness, and small parts constructed of solid steel.

These are my thoughts and observations. I have no emotional attachment to my Colts. If I did not think they were the absolute best value for the money spent, they would be gone, period.
I believe you will be very happy and greatful you chose a Colt and did not settle for a lesser product.

#29 ·
Chaplain - I simply love the Colt 1911 after having used them extensively in both the Navy & the Army. The downside is ammo capacity. I had a Glock 21 & that was also a great handgun in .45acp. I carried that alternately as Armed Security/Private Detective with a Glock 23.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.