1911 rail gun for duty use?

This is a discussion on 1911 rail gun for duty use? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Intellectually, I have preferred the concept of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other. After actually practicing building clearing the other night, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1911 rail gun for duty use?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Intellectually, I have preferred the concept of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other.

After actually practicing building clearing the other night, I am considering a duty gun w/rail.

It will have to be a 1911.

Currently looking at Colt and Kimber offerings, but am open to other options--Wilson looks pretty nice, but the pricetag is out of my reach.

Anybody out there with thoughts or relevant experiences??

THANKS!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Check out Sig's line up of 1911s. I find them impressive
    kmagnuss and JD like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I own 2 kimbers, and have shot several others. I would look at the tactical entry from kimber if this a true duty/HD gun. Extended magwell for easier reloads, comes with night sights, and has the rail you are looking for. That said, you can't go wrong with a Colt either.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Colt all the way.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Take a look at the Rock Islands. They might fit your need.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Springfield Armory Operator or Light Weight Operator, also comes in a 4" bbl , Champion model. Great customer service and they have a Lifetime Warrenty .

VIP Member
    Give Springfield a look. The Operator is railed, and available in 5" or 4" barrel.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Take a look at the Rock Islands. They might fit your need.
    I would not consider a RIA for duty carry.
    atctimmy, SIXTO and glockman10mm like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Here is another idea....if you can handle the ugly extractor.

Product: Model SW1911

Or a Springer (my choice):

Springfield Armory

Springfield Armory
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I am a 1911 fan. I love my Kimber. You will spend $1,800 to get into the quality and options needed to be a robust and reliable duty pistol with 8 rounds. You then get to spend the next week properly breaking it in. Then you will enjoy time with this piece of history keeping it properly tuned. This is quality time for us gun nuts. Kind of like they guy who tunes and washes his '63 Stingray so he can keep it running in peak condition.

Or you could buy two H&K USP's, carry 13 rounds, and be done with it. Running a 1911 s a beautiful thing, but requires $$ and devotion.

Just for laughs:
    YouTube

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Curious why you say this? I have a RIA that is more reliable than any other gun brand that I have (Sig, Springfield and a slew of S&Ws). Is your comment based on their price, or actual experience?

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    A reason why would be nice. Any experience with them?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Simple, they're not built for that kind of use. They're entry level guns built to a certain price point to attract a particular market segment. The metallurgy, tolerances, and quality of the internal parts of the low buck guns from the PI, Turkey, etc. are not the same as those made by Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and so on. This is the same reason police depts and the military don't issue guns from RIA, Bersa, Taurus, Hi Point, and the like. If you want some good guidelines on picking a 1911 for duty use check out the 10-8 website.

Yes, I have owned RIAs and they were good guns for what they were. However, when I carried a 1911 on duty I carried a Springfield and a S&W. Currently I carry a FNP45 Tactical on duty and Colt 1911s off duty and in plain clothes.
    IsaiahM33, OD* and JD like this.

Springfield Operator and Kimber TLE/RL are both worth considering.

Well put WC145. I have owned 2 RIA's that were superb right out of the box. I wouldn't have a problem carrying one for duty if that was all I had. Given the choice, however, I would rather go with Colt, Springfield, Kimber, STI, Wilson, etc., for the reasons you stated. Absolutley nothing against RIA, but they are entry level for a reason.
    I was THIS CLOSE to getting into a Colt Rail Gun a few months back and I still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that deal!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links