odd comparison. Bersa 380 vs Savage 32

This is a discussion on odd comparison. Bersa 380 vs Savage 32 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is a longshot. But does anyone own both guns? I have a 1907 savage 32 that my wife can shoot fairly well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: odd comparison. Bersa 380 vs Savage 32

odd comparison. Bersa 380 vs Savage 32

I know this is a longshot. But does anyone own both guns? I have a 1907 savage 32 that my wife can shoot fairly well but its not a very good carry weapon. she hates my LCP its to snappy for her so I'd like to find out what the recoil is like between the two guns. the local range does not have one we can rent to try and I'd hate to buy it and have her not like it. if I can confirm that the felt recoil is similar between the two then I'm golden. thanks for any help someone can provide.

Jeff
    Last edited by Nanoman; April 5th, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The Bersa 380 is bigger than those pocket 380s, so the recoil is much more manageable. I've never shot the Savage you mention, but I have shot a Colt Hammerless 32 that was a sweet shooter. The 32 will be slightly easier to shoot.

I have the Bersa thunder 380. The recoil isn't to snappy for a gun its size I like mine real well.

Thanks for the replies so far. My wife has arthritis in her hands so I am trying to find a 380 or 9mm that she can shoot with a minimum of discomfort. I know I wont find anything that shoots like a 22 but I gotta try and help the girl out. I am also told the Walther 380 is a model with lower recoil and a "not so hard to rack" slide. Can anyone comment on that?

Jeff

The Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/S models do not have lower recoil when chambered for .380. They are rather more brisk than that Savage likely is. The Walther slides aren't so easy to manipulate either for someone with diminished capabilities.

Couldn't help out on the Savage pistol on its suitability for carry duty. Don't know how positive the safety is without research. It's interesting that you have mentioned the Savage as it is scarcely ever seen here. The Savage models are neat, well-made, pistols with some innovative features for such an early automatic. I like 'em and would like to have one to play with.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Its a great little pistol. Been in my family longer than I have and I'm nearing the half century mark.....One of the reasons I don't want her to carry that or my little Colt 25. That goes back as far as my Great G-Dad. We would both hate for something to happen and loose either of those heirlooms. I have a neighbor with a Sig 380 (read expensive) she is going to try this afternoon and we can compare to the Savage. I think I'm leaning toward a Bersa as all the reviews I have read so far give Big Points for it's reliability and willingness to feed just about anything.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    No experience with the Savage, but plenty with the Bersa. My guess is going to be you'll find quite a bit of difference in recoil. Two reasons for it. One is the difference in caliber, the other being the Bersa is a blow back fixed barrel, where the 1907 is not a blow back design.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have had quite a few .380's over the years, and the sweetest shooter of them all is the Sig P232 with Hogue grips. It's a tiny bit smaller & lighter than the Bersa Thunder, but considerably more expensive. Worth every penny of it in my book. I have the stainless version.

100% flawless operation, and it's genuinely fun to shoot. Can't say that about too many .380's!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ...the Bersa is a blow back fixed barrel, where the 1907 is not a blow back design.
    Yes, it is. It's delayed, but not a locked-breech.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

A couple of other options, Bersa did recently produce a batch of thunder pistols in .32 auto, and there's always the Beretta Tomcat .32 which has a tip up barrel so you don't have to rack the slide to chamber a round. I've always had a bit of a partiality to the .32 caliber, I have an old Romanian model 74 surplused from the Hungarian secret service that is the most accurate gun I own. well with one particular ammo at least.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    CZs 82 is another smaller 380 that you might look at. Its not quite pocket sized but that adds to its being comfortable to shoot. I have hand pain too. I cant shoot the current compact guns well any more but I could easily shoot the Bersa 380. it has a nice sized grip that I can get three fingers on [with the mag in place.] I currently shoot two 32s, A Titian, and a Walther. Both have similar controls, both are able to fit in a pocket but only in pants with larger pockets, and both are all steel. the weight makes them more controllable. That's probably why your wife likes the Savage. DR

yes I'm certain the weight is a difference is well. that's why I was leaning towards the bersa or the Walther. I will have to look into the others. it doesn't need to be small for a pocket it just needs to be able to fit in a purse. some great feedback though I appreciate it very much.

Jeff

Hi Nanoman. Some photos of the neato Savage pistol would sure be in order if you could provide them. I'd like to see it at any rate.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Get a Colt Mustang or the SIG copy . Thes are 2 of the softest shooting 380 's I have ever fired . My Mustang with Corbon ammo is like a KelTec P-32 almost no recoil.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi Nanoman. Some photos of the neato Savage pistol would sure be in order if you could provide them. I'd like to see it at any rate.
    Yeh! Me too!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links