Shooting an S&W 442

Shooting an S&W 442

This is a discussion on Shooting an S&W 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range yesterday, and shot a full box of standard Remington 158's (not +P) through my S&W 442. Not much fun at all! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Shooting an S&W 442

Shooting an S&W 442

Went to the range yesterday, and shot a full box of standard Remington 158's (not +P) through my S&W 442. Not much fun at all! My hand is still a bit sore this morning.

Its a great carry gun, but not much fun to shoot. I sure wouldn't want the .357 Magnum version.

gold40

The lightweight snubs are hardly 'fun' guns in serious calibers, although the all-steel models, which weigh about 8 ounces more, are actually enjoyable with light loads. When I practice with my "ultralite" snub, long before I hit the 50-round mark my hand's had all the 'fun' it can stand. At that point I switch over to something relaxing, like a .45 1911.
    bmcgilvray, JT353, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Yep. I've switched to regular, non +p loads for my airweights. I can get back on target much more quickly than with +p. Started a thread on it a while ago.

I just point shoot with the airweights.

These ain't range guns. The model 60 or the model 640, which are all steel, absorb the recoil and are easy on the hands with .38's.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

And ignorant guys still get one for their wife to use...

Lightweight snubbies are actually one of the more difficult guns to master.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    They are tough to shoot accurately and painful for the hand, yet I find my S&W 442 the most fun gun in my rotation to practice with for the aforementioned reasons. I just tough it out and typically shoot 100 rounds through it before I switch over to my 9mm or .40 S&W to let the hand rest.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I enjoy shooting my 360PD immensely, when I'm using .38SPCL. My favorite target load is Remington's 110gr Target Wadcutter. Wow! Easy Baby! I group well, but I would not call myself a master by any means.

On a range day I'll typically shoot 100 rounds of 130gr .38SPCL American Eagle, 50 rounds of the 100gr target loads, and 20 rounds of 124gr .357MAG. This allows me to work up to the heavy load. ...I don't find them enjoyable (how could anyone) but I can hit well with them.

- I carry Double Tap's 110gr .357MAG (Barnes X)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post

very true

Hmmm, my experience is somewhat different. I like shooting my S&W Airweight, and I even shoot it competively sometimes at steel challenge. One reason is that there are so few shooters in the J-frame class that I can end up ranking pretty well. We got the gun originally because that's what my wife like to carry and shoot, and she is a small person.

Goes to show that everyone's different, and you really don't know what you'll like until you try it.
    PEF and R040607 like this.

I can shoot the Smith & Wesson Airweights and I can control them, slow fire or rapid fire, and be efficiently accurate at car length distance but do not profess to like to do so. I don't really enjoy extended sessions with the little buggers.

Actually, I've not fired the Model 642 kept around here once this year though my wife has.
    JT353 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carried a borrowed 638 Airweight for several months and had plans to buy a 442 as a more concealable alternate to my Shield. The 638 was not fun to shoot, but I liked how it concealed. I eventually decided a BG 380 would make a better secondary for me and returned my friend's 638.

On the other hand, I absolutely love shooting my brother's Taurus 66 .357 Mag 4" stainless. I plan to get a similar revolver from either S&W or Ruger. I'm watching for the right gun to come along at the right price.

Great thread love y sp101 i carry plus p in very accurate, my mod60 shoots sweet had it at range today great gun, wife loves her 642 I had it ported for her an the trigger face polished to a mirror finish this was the improvement she likes the most she is dead on with 38 sp cant get it away from her

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post

My bride loves her 642 and I like my 442. She wears a gel glove when she is at the range and goes through over 100 per range visit. It helps to also have light loads. She ends the day by shooting a couple of loads of defensive carry. BTW, the gel glove is actually a bike glove available at Big 5. It has gel in the thumb and index finger web area.

I too shoot light loads (reloads) with my 442 and end the same with defensive rounds. It's a tough gun to handle but love to carry as my normal carry.

BTW, My bride went through dozens of rental guns before she decided on her 642...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Distinguished Member
    I enjoy shooting my 638 quite a lot. I've come to shoot it with reliability that surprises me. Even with a lapse of a couple of months I can point it down range and experience accuracy as though I had been shooting it regularly. But for perspective, that's snub accuracy not target gun groupings. And I'm practicing with light loads normally, except for the last wheel or two. I avoid shooting to the point of fatigue. I'm afraid that the muscle memory that I'm enjoying will be wiped out by some newly developed twitch factor and I'd have to go to square one.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

j frame guns are not range gun when you are shooting regular loaded ammo. but 148 gr wad cutter ammo and the j frame is a fun gun. don't know if you can find any during these hard to get ammo days. but it is good to shoot some carry ammo just to know what it is going to be like.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My wife chose the 442, and carried a Taurus for years before that. She's a small lady and loves shooting snubbies, obviously we don't stand around a paper range target shooting. We practice with them as close combat guns for which they are flawless. Yes, they may take care to master but they are also wonderful for people who don't feel comfortable with pistols, magazines and complications. Took my wife over 10 years to get her away from revolvers and shotguns and move torward to operating a pistol in a life and death situation. The problem here is people want to make hard rigid rules about what is best, who is dumb or smart. Which is pretty instantly wrong in itself. IMO....

If a 442 with +P ammo hurts your hand firing 2-3 chambers full, you need to work on your shooting and dry fire a whole lot more. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. After that your pistol shooting will also improve dramatically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links