Looking for a better EDC

This is a discussion on Looking for a better EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my problem is a simple one, but I wanted to get some feedback from you all. In early February I bought a S&W Bodyguard ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: Looking for a better EDC

Question Looking for a better EDC

So, my problem is a simple one, but I wanted to get some feedback from you all. In early February I bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 because I was under the impression I was deploying and my wife wanted something she would feel comfortable working with if needed. Since then I have now been taken off deployment, but I don't feel the Bodyguard is a great EDC. It is fun enough and the wife still likes it, but I've got a couple of leads on a couple different choices. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Glock 36, but I've had a 19 and didn't really enjoy it as it never really seemed to "fit." So, my question is do I go with the 36, which feels better than the 19 did, or do I keep looking. Right now my other options are Taurus PT709 Slim and I'm working to find a XDs.

So, again, thoughts and advice are appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Ahhhh, the Glock-36, it is my EDC...in fact, I now have two of them.
    Couldn't make a better choice IMHO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AKWolverine View Post
    I don't feel the Bodyguard is a great EDC.

I've had a 19 and didn't really enjoy it as it never really seemed to "fit."
    What exactly are your must-have and might-want criteria? If the Bodyguard and G19 don't cut it, you should give us an idea of what would, in terms of that "fit," feel, ergonomics, balance/weight, preferred dimensions, relative ease of concealability, size issues (ie, small hands), or whatever else matters to you that's getting in the way of the Bodyguard and G19 working. That might give us something to go on.
    AKWolverine likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    With little info to go on from you, I'll recommend the CZ P-07. Good ergonomic, 16+1 in a compact frame and smooth trigger. Another plus is you can switch it from a decocker model to a manual safety model with no special tools and no gun smith training required. Takes about 5 minutes to do and the gun comes with both parts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    The 36 is about the same size as the 19 and one of the least reliable of the Glocks. In a recent gun mag where they had a shootout with the XDs, Glock 36 and Taurus. The Glock jammed a few times and the XDs did not. The XDs are not hard to find if you look. I just bought one at one of two local gun stores that had them. Impact guns had them up till recently and a few other websites have them on and off. Mine shot everything I fed it, was manageable and shot softer than the two 3" 1911's I used to own. I put a 7 round mag on it with a TLR-3 light and use it for my desk gun. 8 rounds make sit about even with any 1911. When I carry it I usually pocket carry it with a flush magazine although I do have one magazine with a Pearce extension on it and it does not seem to make any difference when I carry it. I also put Talon rubber grip decals to soften the grip which can take off skin when shooting 50 rounds at the range.

If I were you I would go with the XDs which won the shootout. The Taurus finished last in every category with the Glock a close second but mostly due to some of the judges being Glock users and feeling more familiar with the Glock than the other guns. Just look and you will find one. Check the online vendors daily or the XDS forum for posts on who has them for sale. Heck, there are guys on the XDs forum who are selling their because they have delicate hands and the XDs is not very tolerant of weak grips. That is true of all small .45's though.

P.S. - That is my XDs in my avatar along with a custom Mika pocket holster (just $30), 7 round mag and TLR-3 Streamlight rail light. Give me the same power that my $1000 Colt Defender did but without all the jamming and weight. I also have an IWB and OWB holster for it but mostly carry in my pocket of regular shorts and pants. I just take my gun with me when I shop for clothes but by now I know which brands and styles are fashionable but have deep pockets.
    AKWolverine likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What exactly are your must-have and might-want criteria? If the Bodyguard and G19 don't cut it, you should give us an idea of what would, in terms of that "fit," feel, ergonomics, balance/weight, preferred dimensions, relative ease of concealability, size issues (ie, small hands), or whatever else matters to you that's getting in the way of the Bodyguard and G19 working. That might give us something to go on.
    Great questions...The G19 felt too large for my hands...I am used to using the Beretta M9, but I wouldn't want to carry that everyday either. The Bodyguard actually feels small and would make a great backup. I've held the XDs and it feels great, but finding one is my problem at this time. But, I haven't fired the XDs and have read reviews of it being snappy and not very accurate. I want to be able to conceal the weapon relatively easily and prefer a IWB holster.

Again, I would appreciate any advice.

saa
    The G36 with Pearce +1 mag extensions is one of my EDC's - love it!
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Links