what should i buy for my conceal carry

This is a discussion on what should i buy for my conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok i been looking at my next carry piece thinking revolver rossi 351 or maybe a xds 45 i have not owned a revolver yet ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Aquaman
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By bgusty

Thread: what should i buy for my conceal carry

ok i been looking at my next carry piece thinking revolver rossi 351 or maybe a xds 45 i have not owned a revolver yet thinking i could try something i just want a good carry gun i was thinking a pf9 doing a pocket but i am thinking iwb what do you guys thinks i should buy looking for opinions looking to spend 500 or so

Out of the two you listed I would pick the xds .45 but none the less, every bodies carry gun should be what is comfortable for them and not what others think, I personally carry a Shield or XDsc in 9mm, I like to sling a lot of lead when I go shoot, so 9mm was my choice because of cost factor, and yes I reload my own, but it is still cheaper than reloading other calibers. You are going to get a lot of opinions on what is best but you have to decide things like, are you going to pocket carry, IWB carry, what kind of outfits do you usually where? these are all things that will determine what kind of firearm would be good for you. I could go on and on but I'm sure your going to get some good info here.
    .45acpguy likes this.

Have a friend who's normal carry is a 1911. Mine is a compact 40. And eventually I'd like a compact 9mm also.

Snubbie all the way i either cary my sp101 or mod 60 either way you wont be undergunned

Pf9=pos
    foxytwo likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

IMHO, Rossi is junk....YMMV.....

If I were you I'd think about Glock 26 or 19, or S&W 9C

George

Go to a gun range that has Guns for Rent before you buy. There are lots out there and renting them is sure lots cheaper than finding out the one you bought is really a bear to shoot. You will have to pay for their ammo, but doing this will save you several hundred dollars of heartbreak with the wrong gun that does not work for you.
    Good luck with your selection, and get training with that gun after you buy it!
    PEF likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

S&W M&P 9c Not too big, not too small, feels good in the hand , shoots good and is in your price range.DSC02848.JPG
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

VIP Member
    Everyone needs at least one revolver in their stable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by skinner1790 View Post
    ok i been looking at my next carry piece thinking revolver rossi 351 or maybe a xds 45 i have not owned a revolver yet thinking i could try something i just want a good carry gun i was thinking a pf9 doing a pocket but i am thinking iwb what do you guys thinks i should buy looking for opinions looking to spend 500 or so
    That's a lot of ground to cover: like, all handguns.

Can you offer some thoughts on your particular preferences, in terms of caliber, ergonomics, dimension/size limits (if any), weight, balance, etc.?

Of all the different handguns you've ever shot (not just handled), what felt and worked the best?

Here's a search tool that might help provide some options: Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com. You can sort the results by OAL, weight, capacity.

Without knowing more ...

Assuming utter reliability is key, I might suggest a H&K P2000SK, CZ P-01 or PCR, CZ 2075 RAMI, Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro, Glock 19 or 26. If ergonomics in a compact format is key, perhaps consider the Kahr K9 or P9, or even the CW9, all of which are fairly flat-riding on the hip. Any revolver with a 2-3" bbl should do well as a concealed gun, though I would suggest sticking with the ones in the ~20-25oz range (instead of the ultra-lightweight variants out there). Check the 3" models of the S&W Model 60 or the Ruger SP-101.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you plan on looking at a revolver I would look at a steel variant, S&W 60/640/36, Ruger SP101, Colt Detective special, etc. Airweights are great to carry, not so fun to shoot IMO.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I carry an M&P 9 FS.

VIP Member
    I'd get the XD-S and a couple of 7 round mags.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Personally I dislike the heavy pull of our JFrame. I own two Glocks with 3.5 connectors. I can shoot the snubbie fine, but it's not enjoyable. And it only holds five shots. I don't have crystal ball like some folks and can say how many shots all need. However I'll take my ten plus an extra nine with my 27 over only five.

Very fine guns, just not a fan of the snubbie.

However I like the pull on the LCR. Ruger did a very good job on making the triggers manageable.

Between the two options you listed I'd go XDS. It's easier carrying backup ammo with a semi. Or the new Glock 30S. I think it holds more ammo!

People say go snubbie because there are no funky levers or switches. There are none on a Springfield or Glock. Pretty simple weapons!

In God and Glock we Trust

Sponsored Links