Sig P938 are they reliable yet?

This is a discussion on Sig P938 are they reliable yet? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of buying a Sig P938, I know they had some problems wondering if anyone has purchased one lately and how is it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sig P938 are they reliable yet?

I am thinking of buying a Sig P938, I know they had some problems wondering if anyone has purchased one lately and how is it shooting? Any problems?

Mine has been. I bought it back in October/November 2012. It has been absolutely flawless. Eats anything I feed it, accurate and pleasant to shoot. I love this gun and its my main carry piece now. I carry with the extended mag. Hope this helps!
    stancehold likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Gun test Magazine tried two of them, both had reliability problems. They gave the gun an F.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member
    The only problem I have had was feeding 115 grain practice ammo. Sig says to use 124 gr. ammo which has been flawless although others have no problem with any ammo. My carry ammo is 95 grain DPX and no problems so far. None with any of several defensive loads. Just some 115 grain FMJ cheap practice ammo. As a sometimes instructor I am finding that many of these problems are due to the shooter not gripping the gun tight enough no matter how much they insist they are using the proper technique. They eh be using it but not effectively. :) I cannot remember how many small guns that jam did not jam when I shot them. Even big strong guys can have problems with these small guns due to not being able to get a good grip on them. What works on your Glock may not work for a mouse gun.

Just last week I test fired me new XDs. Not one jam. I then purposely held it just slightly looser than I was and experienced all the problems that I read about. There is even a YouTube video do a guy's wife shooting a XDs. He trashed the gun because it kept jamming and had light hits on the primer which could never be user induced. He showed that his wife was not limp wristing it so it must be the gun. Fast forward to part 2 when the gun came back from Springfield with just some springs replaced and it still was jamming for his wife. He takes it and shoots it and it is perfect every time. It seems that the gun only jammed for his wife. You can watch the video and swear she had a firm grip. I see this at the range all the time and the dumbfounded looks I get when I hand their perfectly functioning gun back to them. Also get to try a lot of guns with crooked sights. :)

The gun has been out long enough that any problems are fixed but small guns are not for everyone. I twice bought an LCP but kept causing it to jam unless I really concentrated on my grip. The gun was just too small and light for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    zeke4351, PAT FINN and stancehold like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

No issues here also November of 2012 gun. Even with Winchester 115 white box maybe I am blessed that I do not work for a Gun test magazine.

VIP Member
    Bought two of them and the only problem I have is stopping myself from buying a third.

When you get your first P938 get yourself some 7 round mags for it.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg

P938 Nightmare.jpg
    stancehold likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by rickshooter View Post
    No issues here also November of 2012 gun. Even with Winchester 115 white box maybe I am blessed that I do not work for a Gun test magazine.
    Lol. Funny thing is they are all freelance writers. Which is why a majority of their reviews are all over the board. No credibility to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
    Lol. Funny thing is they are all freelance writers. Which is why a majority of their reviews are all over the board. No credibility to me.
    I had to chuckle when I saw what ammo they tested it with.

"We tested them with three types of ammo, Russian WPA 115-grain FMJs, Cor-Bon Pow'Rball 100 grain, and Ultramax 127-grain round-nose cast lead. I guess since I've never used any of these boutique or cheap rounds is why my 938 has always worked perfectly?

Mine has a build date of August 23, 2012. I've had 0 problems with it. I shoot nothing but Federal and Winchester bulk 115 grain ammo, then tested out my carry ammo. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Just stay more current than August/sept 2012 and you should be fine.

EMH
    I have one. I have around 300 rounds of 115gr FMJ through mine and I have had 0 problems with it.
    stancehold likes this.

No problems with mine; manufactured 12-7-12. Has become my favorite EDC.
    Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
    take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

I have an early one. I returned it to have the ejection and slide stop retention spring issues resolved. It has been great since it returned about 4 months ago and it eats 115 gr without issues.

I just got the extreme model it comes with a 7 round mag and a 6. I have about 500 rounds of wwb 115 grain through it without one problem! I love mine and will buy the next one I find for my wife.

I have the extreme....love it. It's my pocket carry piece. I broke it in with Magtech 115grn..this was before I knew about Sig's advice to use 124grn..all the same I had no problems at all. I have had two failures to feed tho in the time I've owned the gun (SD loads), but I've perhaps put 400 rounds or so thru it. Its a solid piece and I'm just hoping that Sig comes out with a 'HD' (all stainless) model as I would love an all steel copy..regardless of resulting weight.

My wife has the Blackout version, can't comment on reliability yet, maybe only put a couple hundred rounds through it, no problems with any of those. The only problem is it shoots low and left, I don't believe this is a shooter induced problem, she shoots her p238, my XDsc and Shield, just fine, she should be a bullseye shooter with those she punches the center out of targets, but if she adjusts her point of aim she can hit center of target, I've tried it too and had same results, Sig makes different height sights but if I can find a set of adjustables for it that might be the route to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links