1911: Still a top choice for CCW/defensive carry in 2013?

This is a discussion on 1911: Still a top choice for CCW/defensive carry in 2013? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my first LTC in MA in 1982 when I got out of the Army. Favored weapon of choice was a 1911. Same holds ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree413Likes

Thread: 1911: Still a top choice for CCW/defensive carry in 2013?

I got my first LTC in MA in 1982 when I got out of the Army. Favored weapon of choice was a 1911. Same holds true today 31 years later. I've tried a lot of different platforms and calibers ; Glocks,Sigs,revolvers even a Seecamp and none of them suit me like the 1911.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Lets switch this up a bit. For the record I own several of each dogs in the fight. I have one simple question.

If you have just one shot to take what would you use?
    My Les Baer. No question about it.

My first 1911 and the one I learned on. It's 95 years old now and I've had it for 35 of those years yet would still particularly want it over the other pistol models mentioned in the original post if I desperately needed a reliable automatic.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    My first 1911 and the one I learned on. It's 95 years old now and I've had it for 35 of those years yet would still particularly want it over the other pistol models mentioned in the original post if I desperately needed a reliable automatic.
    Nice, take care of it.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    As I see, the role of the defensive sidearm is driven largely by the masses of new shooters attending schools who teach a curriculum that requires large amounts of shooting to satisfy the shooter into the idea that they are actually doing something. If you fire 500 rounds and pepper a paper target in two days, you must be learning to be a gunfighter, right?

So this type of training requires, or at least, suggest that the best arm is one of lightweight, hi capacity, and mediocre power that appeals to, and is easily handled by a broad base of shooters. And that would be the Glocks, and all their clones.

Pistolcraft has evolved, much as this country has. More is better for the vast majority. But there are still a few who demand more. And for those, the 1911 is neither wanting or lacking respectively.

Excellent well stated and thought out... nicely done!
    I did get a laugh at your forum name however... Glockman10mm Least it wasn't 9mm... :)
    I will say I agree with you 100%... I don't say that often on any forum...
    My first center-fire Handgun was a delta elite 10mm.. had it and it only for 23 years.
    I'm back to owning a 1911 again in 45.. a Colt Officer ACP.. but I want a full size. for CCW....

I know this was an old thread that was dead....... I'm contemplating a full size 1911 for CCW and trying to decide which is the best choice and ran across
    this one... good info as always from Defensive Carry.com

Cheers...

An old thread but I think an interesting one! It's cool to revisit in a year later to see how my thinking may have evolved over that span of time. I've settled in with an HK P30S in 9mm as my main CCW now but instead of the one I had when I started this thread it's another one I just bought (also in 9mm) with Trijicon HK night sights and a Gray Guns trigger job. The GG trigger still won't touch a good 1911 trigger but it's remarkable for a modern combat sidearm. In hot weather I often switch to my Beretta Nano for even a Ruger LCR for the small size and ease of concealment.

I don't currently have a 1911 and probably won't be getting one any time soon. If I won the lottery I'd add a few to my collection but right now I'm more focused on getting the parts do do the UMP conversion on my HK USC carbine.

It's a complicated balancing act, choosing a CCW gun. There's an old adage that says the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun. Very true! To be always armed requires a serious commitment, and requires adjusting your lifestyle somewhat. You must dress around the gun. If I knew there would be a gunfight on a given day in a given place I would make sure to be somewhere else! If I couldn't avoid the fight then I'd show up with a rifle. Since modern gunfights are rarely scheduled in advance we have to work with what we have available. Most of us will live our whole lives out peacefully and never draw a gun in anticipation of a confrontation. I suppose realistically most of us don't need to carry a gun at all. But of course, we don't just buckle our seatbelts when it's icy out nor do we cancel our health insurance because we're feeling especially healthy. After years of having a gun and not needing it it's easy to become complacent. Maybe my choice to occasionally carry a 5 shot snub .38 is complacency.

Monday I went to the range with a kid I used to work with. I took several different guns that I knew he'd never fired before, including a 9mm Beretta Storm carbine and the little Ruger LCR in .38 Special. It was interesting! I have the Storm carbine set up for HD/zombie use; it's equipped with a 650 lumen JETBeam BC25 and a Primary Arms dot sight. Being new to RDSs it was amazing how fast it was to get hits and how easily I could put 20-30 rounds of fire practically through the same hole at handgun distances. If I hear a bump in the night now I won't grab a sidearm- I'll grab the Storm carbine or HK USC carbine.

Of course, the LCR was on the other end of the spectrum. The Kid couldn't hit with it at all. He's young and impatient with a disdain for "obsolete old revolvers". I've shot wheelguns enough over the years that I can manage pretty good accuracy out to 10 yards with it without much effort. Mine has no hammer, so just DAO. Past 15 yards it's less a 'group' and more a 'pattern' in my hands.

Which kind of leads me back full circle to my original post last year. It really depends on what role a handgun will play in your life and what you expect it to do. And how you train, of course. The active shooter situations that have dominated the news over the last year are troubling for many reasons, and they have forced me to revisit my choices of CCW gun. If someone pulls a knife on me at the ATM I'm pretty confident that I can resolve the situation with my LCR. But what if I'm in a theater and a guy walks in with an AR-15? I often say half jokingly that if I ever have to get in a gunfight I hope it's on the day I'm carrying one of my full sized HKs. But what if it's not?

I doubt I'll ever carry a 1911 again for defensive carry. Again, I can't flatly rule it out but I think other guns are more appropriate to my 'missions' in life. Heck, I'm even reexamining the guns I do carry and my penchant for carrying Cocked-and-Locked. I can't help but notice that fewer and fewer pros are doing. And I'm not talking yahoos like James Yeager...I mean real 'tip of the spear' guys. Larry Vickers teaches 1911 armorer courses and helped design the HK45. But he carries a Glock. Retired Navy SEAL and current firearms trainer Kyle Defoor also carries a Glock. IIRC so does Travis Haley. Christ Costa runs an M&P. The list goes on and on. These guys could carry literally anything they want but they're not carrying 1911s. That doesn't mean you can't, but it makes you wonder why they run what they do.

My next gun will probably be the HK VP9 that I have pre-ordered. I might sneak in one HK with an LEM trigger before the VP9 is ready to ship. I'm certainly not looking to abandon carrying cocked-and-locked but I'm going to at least unpack my dogmatic insistence on always doing it. Who says an old dog can't learn any new tricks?
    40Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I show my 1911s to my friends
    I show my Glock to my enemy's

I carry a full size Ruger 1911 and love it. It's very reliable and is an excellent shooter.
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    What oldman45 said. The 1911 is also my EDC.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I will jump back in here on this.

In my gun safes, there are guns of every caliber, brand, size and platform. I can carry any of them in my personal life. I carry a 1911 (one of several I own). In my line of work, I was told to carry a Glock and I did so for a few years. It was not as good as a 1911 and I told those above me so. The powers to be told me if I could show where a 1911 was better than a Glock, then I could carry one but I had to prove it was better. The Brass are younger guys that grew up knowing only Glocks. After a single visit to the range with me shooting mine and letting them shoot mine, they not only let me carry a 1911 but they bought and carry one themselves now. The current policy is carry a Glock or a 1911. More and more are choosing a 1911 to carry. One guy just bought a really nice Kimber 1911 with a rounded grip and a lot of other extras. I just may buy one for a rotational carry. It feels great in my hands.
    Jaeger, RebelSoul, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Aceoky, Phaedrus and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

FRANKENTHREAD...well done sir.

Simple answer...yes. Lots of folks carry FS 1911's.

Take a look at commander and officer size too.

A poster above mentioned some high profile instructors carrying Glocks, M&Ps, etc...NOT 1911s...of course I don't know for certain but I'd wager a pretty penny they carry what they carry because they get them for free - sponsors. Just sayin...
    Aceoky, oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Love carrying a 1911 or .357 feel very comfy with either
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Carry a 1911 and never feel undergunned or anything of the nature at all

YMMV
    OD*, oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    FRANKENTHREAD...well done sir.

Simple answer...yes. Lots of folks carry FS 1911's.

Take a look at commander and officer size too.

A poster above mentioned some high profile instructors carrying Glocks, M&Ps, etc...NOT 1911s...of course I don't know for certain but I'd wager a pretty penny they carry what they carry because they get them for free - sponsors. Just sayin...
    Great post and accurate.

Most people, certainly the younger guys (under 40) does not know how Glocks came to be the accepted gun of the law enforcement. In short, they bought their way in. Since 1938, the civilian population bought what their area LE carried. Glock came out and it was not as good or dependable as what was being used. In this area, they offered some $350 as I remeber for each trade in S&W model 686 and sold their new Glocks to the LE for $275. Multiply the profit from each tarade in and it was a no brainer to buy Glocks. Years later, Glocks no longer offered a discount and they offered very little in trade for the older Glocks but had the LE pretty much locked in to Glock and civilians began swearing by them because they never knew anything else. As more KaBooms happened, more ADs and other things, LE began pulling away and going to SIg, S&W and Baretta. Now Glock is faced with millions of dollars in injury and death claims. Yet the general public knows little of that and still buying Glocks

Glocks are ok guns. They work fairly well and they appeal to many because they look tactical. There are better guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links