Cz-82 & cz-83

This is a discussion on Cz-82 & cz-83 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago, I bought a used CZ-82 that was supposedly military or police surplus. It's chambered for the 9mm Makarov round, and has ...

Thread: Cz-82 & cz-83

Cz-82 & cz-83

About a year ago, I bought a used CZ-82 that was supposedly military or police surplus. It's chambered for the 9mm Makarov round, and has unusual elleptical rifling.

Since then I have fired 2 boxes of Wolf (Russian) fmj's, 2 boxes of Wolf HP's, and about 140 rounds of cast bullet reloads. Have not had a single malfunction, even with the reloads. It seems to me that is a pretty good reliability record.

It has become the "Car Gun" and usually lives in the SUV's glove box. In Missouri, anyone can have a loaded handgun in their car without any permit required. The CZ-82 came with a few scratches, so I don't worry about it collecting a few more while in the car. Its a very nice medium-sized pistol, and carrys 11 rounds. Quite accurate at 7 and 25 yards.

A friend has a commercial CZ-83 with better finish. It's chambered for the regular .380 acp round. His is almost the same pistol as mine, except for the chambering difference. His has also proven to be very reliable.

2. Remove Ads

That's a great gun. The rifling is polygonal. The trigger might be the best feature.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It should hold 12 rounds in the mag, although it might require the use of a mag loader. And yes, the "poly" barrel looks like a smoothbore. But the accuracy of the -82 is great and the reliability is second to none. Mine, on occasion, takes a turn in the carry rotation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My 83 is one of my favorite guns. Heavy enough to tame the recoil and an excellent grip.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ... and the reliability is second to none.
    I've had four of these, both 82 and 83 models. Two of the 82s broke. Reliable is not how I view the used CZ82. I enjoyed my .32 CZ83, but it wasn't reliable either. Small sample size but the results were bad.

Mr. Ripley,

1. I would be interested in learning what parts broke on your CZ-82's.

2. Were you able to buy the repair parts easily?

3. Other than the "broken part" on the CZ-82's, did you encounter reliability or Fail-To-Function issues?

Thanks for the information. It is worthwhile to know what parts to watch carefully.

gold40

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    1. I would be interested in learning what parts broke on your CZ-82's.
    2. Were you able to buy the repair parts easily?
    * Front sight fell off.
    * Slide release lever spring disappeared. The 82 and 83 springs are not compatible and 82 springs were unavailable.
    * Trigger sear wore out.
    * Mag release mechanism worn. Parts were available but I didn't bother.

3. Other than the "broken part" on the CZ-82's, did you encounter reliability or Fail-To-Function issues?
    The worn sear allowed the hammer to fall without remaining cocked. I feared a slam fire.
    On the CZ83, which was in .32acp, (not .380 or 9mm Mak), the magazine was susceptible to rimlock. CZ later redesigned the mags to prevent this. Other than the rimlock, I liked the gun a lot.

I have carried a CZ82 for several years now; '86 was the year of manufacture. It has never burped even once at the range. So far, so good. Real good trigger action. I have only ever shot FMJ in it though. I was a bit surprised to learn of the problems articulated above. Fortunately, service is available, and this weapon is not rare in any sense. I really like mine.
    HANK
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member
    Buffalo Bore Ammo has some great souped up rounds for the 9x18 that I carry in mine. I have also put XS big dots on mine (use the CZ75 sights).

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=220

Mine is in the rotation.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Was thinking of adding a rami bd to the stable but where the heck are the CZ's did they stop making them?

Distinguished Member
    I have a CZ RAMI in 40 S&W. Great gun and does well with Speer GDHP 165 gr.

CZ's are hard to come by as they don't really have a great distribution program and their pricing is reasonable. On last count I have 2 CZ's and 2 clones. Great reliable guns with triggers that I love.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/

You can special order them from J&G Sales

http://www.jgsales.com/Pictures/JG_CZ_PRICES.html
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links