One of my New Favorites

This is a discussion on One of my New Favorites within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a number of carry, range, and HD hand guns. Some big, some small, some hi cap, some single stack, some revolvers, big ones, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: One of my New Favorites

One of my New Favorites

I have a number of carry, range, and HD hand guns. Some big, some small, some hi cap, some single stack, some revolvers, big ones, snubs, airweights, etc. But lately there is one that has quickly become one of my favorite guns, not only for carry but for shooting at the range. It's an unlikely contender for that slot for many reasons:

1) 380. I've bashed that round for a long time.
    2) It has virtually NO sights.
    3) It's a small gun.

It's my Bersa Thunder CC 380. I put a set of Marshall wooden grips on it and that really seemed to help the fit for my hand tremendously. It's super easy to carry almost regardless of what I'm wearing. Small, thin, rounded smooth design, and fairly light. I find myself pocket carrying it a fair amount, especially in dress pants. And at 8+1 and an extra mag, that's decent capacity.

The really surprising part for me is ACCURACY. With hardly some ever so slightly noticeable bumps for sights, I was not expecting much but boy was I surprised. It has a fixed barrel (like most 22 target pistols) which contributes to that to some degree, but it is just a very natural pointer. My last range trip, me and a buddy of mine both kept taking turns shooting it and he also said it was super fun to shoot too (and he mostly likes large 45s).

Mag after mag, from 10 yards, I was shooting the middle dot out of the target with this little gun. And doing it rather quickly too. Shooting with both eyes open so I could easily see where the rounds were hitting. It felt almost like painting with a brush. I shudder to say this, but I was shooting it as good as my S&W 649 (and I've been shooting j frames for a LONG time). I never thought I would say I shot ANY semi as good as a revolver.

In any event, the more I've worked with it lately and tailored it to my liking the more I like it. I removed the mag disconnect C-spring and took care of that issue and then changed the grips and got some extra mags and bam. Great little carry gun that I shoot darn well.

It will never take the place of my XD40sc as my main carry gun, or my XDm-9 as my HD gun, or my snubbie revolvers that are near and dear to my heart, but it has certainly found a niche in my options for certain situations. And I really enjoy shooting it!!! I never thought I would consider a mouse gun as a fun range gun, but hey, it's fun.
    Attached Images
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Great looking grips and if it works don’t try to fix it just enjoy.
    BugDude likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ... grips on it and that really seemed to help the fit for my hand tremendously. It's super easy to carry almost regardless of what I'm wearing. Small, thin, rounded smooth design, and fairly light. 8+1 ... ACCURACY ... a very natural pointer.

I was shooting the middle dot out of the target ... doing it rather quickly ... It felt almost like painting with a brush.
    I've had a couple guns feel just like that, almost like "painting with a brush." It's so very rare. And so extremely gratifying when it happens. Don't change a thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    those grips are pretty sweet looking, really makes that Bersa look like a totally different gun
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Marschals makes great grips if you don't mind the wait. Really spruced up my CZ-82. Obviously you can put the .380 rounds where you need to, so using it for a carry gun should be no problem. Nice firearm!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Looking very good there. I think you are better served with one of the larger 380s like you have, compared to say a LCP. They are just easier to shoot.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've tried shooting a buddy's LCP and my hands are just too large and thick to get a grip on the gun. I've had a Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact for a while and like it a lot. A couple buddies of mine have the 380s and I liked them. Got a chance to get this one for a deal and couldn't refuse. I'm in the camp of carry something given your circumstances. Even in gym shorts I can carry this. It makes always carrying easy when you have options to meet varying attire.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Nice looking shooter.
    NRA Life Member

Links