S&W 1991 Magazine Question

This is a discussion on S&W 1991 Magazine Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first 1911. Have 100 rounds thru it so far. Love the gun but when I use the 8 round factory supplied magazine ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: S&W 1991 Magazine Question

S&W 1991 Magazine Question

This is my first 1911. Have 100 rounds thru it so far. Love the gun but when I use the 8 round factory supplied magazine I have to really whack it for it to latch and then the first round doesn't want to feed the first round when I slingshot the slide. And the 8th round goes into the mag hard. Problem goes away when I only put 7 rounds in the mag. Magazine bodies appear to be the same length. Problem does does not exist with the factory supplied 7 round mag.

In the picture the mag on the left is supposed to be the 8 rounder and rt side is 7 round. I disassembled both mags, lightly oiled and reassembled. Same problem. When I look at the parts the major difference seems to be the length and diameter (shorter and lighter) of the wire used in the spring on the 8 round mag.

Thought I'd ask here in case I'm missing the obvious before calling S&W. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I would call Smith & Wesson. Their Customer Service is 1st rate. Good Luck, nice weapon by the way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The 8-rounder a new mag? I'd stuff it full and let it sit a couple of days before I got too concerned about it. New mags can be overly stiff until the spring eases up a bit. Also oiling mags only lets the gunk build up faster. Use a dry lube or graphite powder instead. Atracks less garbage.
    QKShooter and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Ditto what OldVet said. That is a fairly common problem with some spanky new 8 round magazines.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Yup. My G30 mags had the same problem when I first got it.

... and I'm still jealous over your new E-series. Whec wants one bad.

Also try loading the gun with the slide open.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links