Why do people carry revolvers?

This is a discussion on Why do people carry revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why? Am I just too young to understand...I'm 24 and none of my friends shoot them. I think only two guys even own one. One ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree607Likes

Thread: Why do people carry revolvers?

Why? Am I just too young to understand...I'm 24 and none of my friends shoot them. I think only two guys even own one. One of them being something that is nothing short of canon with a handle so he never shoots it.

They hold less ammo and take longer to reload.

What are the pros and cons of carrying a revolver?

less likely to malfunction
    no looking for brass
    comfort for some
    some people shoot 'em better

I personally prefer semi-autos, but won't knock those that choose revolvers

Because they are and always have been great guns. They are reliable, safe, easy to carry and operate. Sure, they don't get the movie semi-autos do, but in the real world they do a great job.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The first time you have a real magazine issue(or a broken ejector, or a maladjusted extractor) in an autoloader, you'll understand the attraction of a wheelgun.

Here are some other reasons:

Compact revolvers are very concealable - and often better defensive guns that a similarly concealable autoloader.
    Medium and large steel-framed revolvers with the right set of grips and the right balance are a joy to shoot - and VERY accurate.
    Many revolvers allow multiple types of ammunition through the same firearm (.45LC/.410gauge, or .38 special/.357 Magnum, or .44 Magnum/.44 Special, or .45LC/.454 Casull )
    It's far easier to engineer a revolver to take a long, powerful cartridge than to engineer an autoloader to do the same thing and still keep weight and size in check.
    Some revolvers hold more rounds than some autoloaders (S+W make a revolver that offers 8 rounds of .357 Mag...that's as much or more firepower than most single-stack autos)
    A competent operator with a speedloader or speed strip can reload a revolver quite quickly...certainly more quickly than a poorly trained person tend to do a reload on an autoloader.

And by the way....I don't happen to own any revolvers - so I'd like to think that my thoughts on the topic are pretty much objective.

Revolvers are fun to shoot!

But for carry, the simplicity cannot be denied. They draw easily. They can be lightweight as well.

I often carry a S&W 360PD; weighing 11.5oz and carrying 5 rounds of .357MAG. You can't find that power to weight ratio in may guns its size.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Because I'm 80 years old and have a hard time racking my 1911. Instead I carry a 625 and I can reload it as fast as you can change a magazine - it uses a moon clip.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Several reasons:

1. They look good.
    2. They are cool.
    3. They ALWAYS work.
    4. Some revolvers are lighter and smaller than some semi-auto's.
    5. Takes less time to learn how they operate.
    6. They look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Because I'm 80 years old and have a hard time racking my 1911. Instead I carry a 625 and I can reload it as fast as you can change a magazine - it uses a moon clip.
    My gut tells me that Der Alte is probably one of the "competent operators" that I referred to earlier.

I frequently shoot IDPA with a gentleman that is getting on in years - and is very open about the fact that he doesn't shoot anywhere near as quickly as he used to. That doesn't change the fact that I learn something new from him every time the we shoot in the same squad.

Agreed! They're reliable, you don't have to chase the brass, and they're pretty safe to carry. They are also available in some very potent rounds.
    QKShooter and candalos like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I felt the way you do. Then I bought a Rossi .357 snub. For $230 I got a gun that holds 6 rounds of man stopping goodness, is easy to conceal, and is amazingly accurate. Now, when I am just running out for some milk or what not, I throw the Rossi down the front of my pants (try that with a 1911!) in an IWB and away I go.

It has it's place in my day to day life. Like anything else. They aren't for everyone, but those who choose them, they are rewarded with a great weapon.

And by the way, if you have a speed loader and train enough, reloads are almost as fast as a mag change. And as Clint Smith says "I've never seen a stopwatch in a gun fight"

Youtube Jerry Miculek if you want to see someone who knows how to wield a revolver with some serious speed.

Watch the video at 29 seconds in....

As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'm 41year old and just bought my first autoloading centerfire pistols a few weeks ago. I have owned .357mags since I was 21. I honestly feel more comfortable with my revolvers. I'm not saying that will always be the case .But to me a good revolver is a true pleasure to shoot and own. It might be different if I was an LEO or military but I have no issues with 5 rounds of .357 for protection.

I select a defensive firearm based on its reliability, suitability to task, concealability, and ultimately how well I shoot it. Ones that don't cut it are culled from the herd. The right revolver, for me, is the epitome of reliability, reasonably concealable, easy to use. About its only downside is, from my perspective, capacity when compared to other higher-capacity alternatives. Many find the revolver matches their criteria well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What about catching flack that flies out of the cylinder? doesn't that worry anyone? Especially for home defense and close quarters..

Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    What about catching flack that flies out of the cylinder? doesn't that worry anyone? Especially for home defense and close quarters..
    You do realize that people have been using revolvers for hundreds of years without burning down their homes right? Besides, I do not indiscriminately go torching rounds off inside my house. If I fire in defense, the police/fire dept have likely been called shortly after.

As for your hands and such, learn how to properly hold a revolver and no harm will come your way.
    Wreckr, msgt/ret, BamaT and 10 others like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Reliability.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links