What do I "need"?

What do I "need"?

This is a discussion on What do I "need"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have the following handguns: Kahr CM9 Glock 27 XDm 3.8" 9mm Springfield Champion Operator Ruger Sr40c XDsc .40 The first 4 are staying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do I "need"?

What do I "need"?

So I have the following handguns:

Kahr CM9
    Glock 27
    XDm 3.8" 9mm
    Springfield Champion Operator
    Ruger Sr40c
    XDsc .40

The first 4 are staying with me, but I was thinking of trading off the last two. What do I need? Not really interested in a long gun or Revolver.... I have thought of perhaps adding a Glock 23, XDs, or Walther PPS 9mm. Help me out of this horrible, horrible predicament I am in.

Glock 19.
    Last edited by joker1; April 11th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    You need a good, high quality, accurate, handgun in .22 Long Rifle.
    and a few bricks of rim-fire ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    M&P 9mm, or a Glock 19.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

HK P30 in either 9mm, or .40 S&W
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Wait and try to find the new Glock 30S.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member
    It would greatly help us if you told us what the purpose of a new gun would be? Range, home defense or concealed carry. I do not see a nice 9mm range gun on your list or a fun .22. I bought 38 guns in the last 2.5 years so I have owned and shot quite a bit of the popular guns out there. For carry an XDs is good and what I bought two weeks ago. A lightweight and smallish .45 that does not recoil as bad as a 3" Colt Defender is hard to beat for an EDC. The M&P line is also good. Sort of a Glock with better ergonomics. They have a nice Pro model that shoots well and a C-Tac dark earth model with all the tactical touches.

I like the Glock 19 but the 23 is good as you seem to like the .40 cal. Good size for carry and home defense. I carried one for 6 months. You owe yourself at least one Sig and HK models with my current preference for HK's due to a variant that allows you to use it DA/SA or in SA only mode. Very soft shooting and reliable gun. The only .40 cal. I ever liked was a Sig P229 SAS with the DAK trigger. It came with the fancy wood grips that were a little too fat but also included slim polymer grips that were more suited for carry. Still a big gun though. The HK USP, P2000 (SK Model if you like sub compact and one of my carry guns), and their latest P30 are great guns for fun shooting, carry and home defense.

I also own a Sig P238 and P938 if you like pocket guns or small belt guns with SA triggers and manual safeties like I do. FNH guns are also very reliable and sort of a less expensive HK. Also allows you to use it DA/SA or just SA. They have hammer and striker fired models. I used their hammer FNX-9 with a TLR-1 light in my night table for HD. Their new .45 model is very popular and has great reviews. Also up there in the reliability chart.

I would not write off revolvers if you like recoil because shooting a .357 or .44 magnum is a lot of fun. I still own 2 .357 magnums, one a LCR snub nose and the other a Ruger GP-100 special edition. I enjoy shooting them a lot and ammo is easy to get right now for them. My favorite was the Ruger Alaskan, a 2.5 " barreled .44 magnum that was heavy enough so that the recoil did not hurt. Got lots of attention at the range and was a hoot to shoot. Everyone who is into guns should have at least one revolver or you cannot call yourself a shootist. Got to be well rounded and shoot them all great. :) Another type of revolver which is fun is the SA ones. Either the Colt SAA or clones or the Ruger Blackhawks. I had a Colt SAA just to see how it felt to shoot one. Did not like the plow handle grips though so I sold it. Had a few Ruger Blackhawks to shoot the most powerful loads in the magnum calibers and they were a lot of fun and easy to shoot for all.

If you are into mouse guns as I am try a Seecamp .32 or .380. They still can be found new without waiting a year for them. The easiest gun I ever carried for those times when I did not need a gun. The LCP at 9 oz. is so light and small that there is no excuse to not carry it. The Kahrs are all good too as I have owned a few but the PM40 has too much recoil to allow for fast accurate follow-up shots in my opinion. I loved my PM9 though and may get a P380. For just kicks and fun take a look at the NAA mini revolvers. With the new .22 magnum ammo out there by Speer, Hornady and Winchester they approach .380 power, expand and penetrate. Aside from being so darn cute, they are small enough to be carried anywhere, anyplace. Have carried mine in a waterproof pocket of my bathing suit. You can easily hide it in your hand when walking to your car in a parking lot. Makes a great BUG or third gun or as I sometimes do, use it instead of an extra mag. You can add lasers and even a bayonet if you like and dress them up with all sorts of fancy grips. I have a neck holster for mine and simply wear it around my neck. At 5.5 oz. it is no bother at all.

The new Walther PPQ has a very good trigger. Too light for my taste for carrying but for shooting a 4.5 lb trigger with a short reset and grips that mold to your hand it is a winner. If you have not scratched your inner James Bond there is always the PPK. I owned one when I was 21 and carried it in a shoulder holster until I got wiser and smarter. I had a few 3" 1911's but did not find them reliable enough to carry but the XDs has proven better so far. The new Colt Mustang Pocketlite is also on my list if I can ever find one after letting one slip through my fingers because I wanted to think about it for a day. If you are young it may not be of interest as it was a popular model in my day for pocket carry.

Hope I gave you some ideas as most of these I have owned in the last two years and were fun for me.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

A well rounded gun enthusiast would have at least one revolver. An Airweight S&W j-frame is a very utilitarian piece, versatile, and takes some effort to master but very rewarding and purposeful. As ammo has been unavailable lately, I've had occasion to find plenty of .38 Special. A 22 pistol would also serve a good purpose for cheap fun and training.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    *Snip*
    Some really awesome info here Old_Dog. I really only get guns that I could carry at some point or another. I have so many .40's because I was on the hunt for the perfect .40 subcompact (for me I think the G27 will be hard to beat). I would always love another carry piece, but I think the CM9 will fill the pocket micro carry well. I really like the Glock 19 or Glock 23 suggestion, but am also interested in the M&P line. Is there enough difference between the M&P 9/40c and Glock 27 to get an M&P? I also like the idea of a carry .45 like the XDs because the 1911 may just not cut it for anything other than deep winter. All of your guys suggestions are great, keep them coming!

Echoing a couple of sentiments already posted - you need a .22 for fun and skill development, and you also need a revolver to broaden your capabilities as well as skills.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Really ought to have at least one good 4" or 6" barrel .357 Magnum. Ruger GP100 or S&W 686. I prefer the Ruger. My wife likes it but likes her 686 better. You really have to experience Full Magnum loads out of a 6" 686 or GP100 to appreciate what a potent handgun that is. My wife's 6" 686 shooting full house 158g SJHP ammo is almost like a rifle compared to my semi-autos. Another really fun gun, especially if you reload, is the Ruger BlackHawk in .45 Colt. Shooting a hard cast 255g LSWC loaded to 1150 fps that thing has some serious thump. If I was home I'd put in a picture of mine. I have all semi-autos for carry (SIG C3, XDs, G19, G26, PPK/S, P238, LCP) and home defense (G19, G17, FNX45T), but for fun I have the .357 Magnum and .45 Colt. Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; April 11th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Some really awesome info here Old_Dog. I really only get guns that I could carry at some point or another. I have so many .40's because I was on the hunt for the perfect .40 subcompact (for me I think the G27 will be hard to beat). I would always love another carry piece, but I think the CM9 will fill the pocket micro carry well. I really like the Glock 19 or Glock 23 suggestion, but am also interested in the M&P line. Is there enough difference between the M&P 9/40c and Glock 27 to get an M&P? I also like the idea of a carry .45 like the XDs because the 1911 may just not cut it for anything other than deep winter. All of your guys suggestions are great, keep them coming!
    If you like .40 the Glock 23 is sweet. Although I like the grip of the M&P, I do not like their triggers so I would go with the 23. For me the 19/23 is the ideal gun. Just big enough to grip with all fingers and small enough to carry with a high round capacity. Plus there are a ton of accessories for Glocks that I can install myself. The recoil from the 23 is better than from the 27. Unless you time your split times you do not know how much faster you can shoot a .40 with a larger gun. Plus you can use the 23 mag in the 27.

I tend to like a .45 as the recoil pushes back rather than snaps up like a .40. The Xds is remarkable. With the extended mag which you can see in my Avatar as that big silver thing, you get 7+1 capacity in a 20 oz. gun with a good trigger and grip safety. Due to the small grip of the XDs there is no way you can hold it and reach the trigger at the same time without engaging the grip safety. I pocket carry mine during the day an at night I put a TLR-3 on it for home defense.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Ammo.
    blake716 likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Everybody needs a .357 revolver, that way you have two types of ammo to choose from .38 special or .357 mag. These days with ammo so hard to find you need several to choose from.

Hogwash!

What you really need is a Taurus PT945!

NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links