Looking at a New 1911

Looking at a New 1911

This is a discussion on Looking at a New 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My RIA 1911 is on its way back from having its second round of work done to it. It shot great...until it broke twice, so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking at a New 1911

Looking at a New 1911

My RIA 1911 is on its way back from having its second round of work done to it. It shot great...until it broke twice, so now I don't have much confidence left in it. I really like the 1911 platform, so now I want a better one.

I was at my LGS yesterday looking at 1911s and they had offerings from Rock Island, Para, Remington, Sig, S&W, Kimber, and Colt in stock. I really only looked at the S&W, Remington, Kimber, and Colts since I'm trying to get away from RIA and the salesman said the Para they had in was on the same level as the RIA.

I liked the look and feel of the Kimber, Colt, and S&W, but only the S&W came in the configuration that I'd want. The Colt was a plain 1991A1 and the Kimber was a tricked out version with more bells and whistles that I'd care for.

After playing around with some of them and doing some research, I narrowed it down to three options: Colt XSE, S&W Model SW1911, and the Kimber Custom TLE II. These three have the features that I'd want on a 1911, except for the Colt, which has an ambi thumb safety (which I don't much care for). I'm not looking to spend more than around $1,000 on whichever one I get.

Thoughts?

Get the Colt, take the ambi safety off. It is not a clone, they are great guns, and resale value, if you are into that is good. Others can attest to the plethora of mechanical or other reasons, but if you can get a Colt right now I would. I am looking for another one...always.

I really like the modest look of the Colts (IMO) and the history behind them is amazing as well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

1911 for a carry gun??? I just bought a Kimber Compact CDPII. 4 inch slide with a smaller officers grip for better concealment. I only have 700 FLAWLESS rounds through it but I liked it so much I just ordered the Custom CDP full size and plan to bobtail the grip. Hard to go wrong with any quality 1911. I disagree with those that say it HAS to be a Colt. Enjoy the search.

Here is a blog post JD did a few years back. Its pretty informative.
    Guns, Guns, & More Gosh Darn Guns: 1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2012-06-16
    tubadude likes this.

Yesterday, I picked up a new Remington 1911 R1. I've looked at several 1911's recently and for the money this seemed like my best choice. I didn't want an expensive gun and wasn't looking for a bunch of bells and whistles either. The R1 is almost your basic GI 1911, but had enough updates to make it appealing to me. Like the flared and lowered ejection port, stainless match barrel, beveled magazine well, dovetailed front and rear 3 dot sights and carbon steel frame and slide. Its solidly constructed and looks great. I can't wait for the weekend to take it to the range. By the way, I have a Glock 30 and 36 and they perform flawlessly, but there's something about a 1911 you've just got to love.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

If the S&W came in the configuration you want and is within your budget, then get that. You can't argue with S&W and the guns they make, their 1911's are excellent. I have a Pro Series 3" 1911 and love it. I'd also champion the Sig, I have one of those in a full size that has been an excellent gun too for the money. I love Colt, but for me there are guns out there just as good for lesser prices.

Overall though, I still love my Dan Wesson. I think they make the best guns for the money. You get an almost custom 1911 for a couple of hundred more than a Colt. But that's just my humble opinion.

For the same or less money, go ahead and buy the Colt. I am not going to bad mouth the clones that are out there, but really, for near the same money, why not get the real deal? It is the best value on the market with a minimum of mims parts, using solid steel frames and slides and all critical components are good ol steel.

Dont take my word for it; do your own research and compare parts, and price. You will see you cant go wrong with a Colt Gov model.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I love Kimber, but of the models listed, I'd get the Colt too.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

What broke on the RIA? I have had good luck with mine...by the way, the new Para USA 1911's are nice.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mesamay2003 View Post
    What broke on the RIA? I have had good luck with mine...by the way, the new Para USA 1911's are nice.
    Thumb safety, then immediately after that got back from the shop, the hammer. Both appeared to be poorly produced MIM parts. RIA has taken good care of me.

This purchase will probably be a birthday gift to myself in June, so I'm really researching what is out there since this will end up costing over twice as much as the Rock. Hopefully the distribution networks will have eased up by then so I can compare the three I am interested in since I haven't held the exact models I want.

Quote Originally Posted by mesamay2003 View Post
    I'd like to know this as well, I'm carrying a Citadel (RIA Tactical with a different roll mark) compact and I'm definitely curious as to what to look out for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    I just picked up the new Commander version of Ruger's SR1911 - a phenomenal 1911 for the money!
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityChief View Post
    I just picked up the new Commander version of Ruger's SR1911 - a phenomenal 1911 for the money!
    I checked out one of those at the shop as well. It seemed pretty nice, just not what I'm in the market for (commander length, that is).

I have a S&W 1911PC and a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Both cost about the same, but the craftsmanship on the Kimber is head-and-shoulders superior to the S&W. Both shoot exceptionally well, but the S&W occasionally ejects back into my face. Although the S&W is lighter (commander length, Scandium Alloy frame, & ported slide cuts) and has a sweeter trigger, the Kimber is the finest 1911 I've ever fired.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I've owned 6 Colt's and I've had no problems with any of them. 2 Government, 1 Commander, 2 New Agent, and 1 Mustang Plus II. I've also had 2 RIA's and 1 Remington....not bad 1911's...but there's just something about the pride in owning a Colt.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links