Hand position

This is a discussion on Hand position within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading the 'Why do people carry revolvers?' thread and wondering about mixing revolvers and semi-autos for EDC. Iíve read about the dangers of ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By BMAT
  • 1 Post By detective
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7

Thread: Hand position

Hand position

I've been reading the 'Why do people carry revolvers?' thread and wondering about mixing revolvers and semi-autos for EDC.

Iíve read about the dangers of using a thumbs forward grip on a revolver where the support hand thumb could be injured if it is across the cylinder-to-barrel gap. For those of you who have both revolvers and semi-autos in your EDC rotation, do you use one grip for both platforms (ie. thumb over thumb) or are you able to Ďautomaticallyí (subconsciously) switch your grip when you pick-up (or draw) one or the other? Just wondering about what would happen in a high stress life or death encounter when someone needs to present their gun in a hurry.

2. Remove Ads

I use the same thumbs forward grip for revolvers and semi automatics. My thumb is a good distance away from the cylinder gap. Never had a problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thumb over Thumb for revolvers, thumbs forward on auto's. I don't think about it when I draw the thumbs know where to go.
    blitzburgh and SWIll like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I've been reading the 'Why do people carry revolvers?' thread and wondering about mixing revolvers and semi-autos for EDC.

I’ve read about the dangers of using a thumbs forward grip on a revolver where the support hand thumb could be injured if it is across the cylinder-to-barrel gap. For those of you who have both revolvers and semi-autos in your EDC rotation, do you use one grip for both platforms (ie. thumb over thumb) or are you able to ‘automatically’ (subconsciously) switch your grip when you pick-up (or draw) one or the other? Just wondering about what would happen in a high stress life or death encounter when someone needs to present their gun in a hurry.
    Better I think to Carry different guns that have a commonality of hand grip, perhaps action also. But having a semi where you use thumb forward and then have to change to standard hand grip for your revolver - well, I wouldn't. Watch someone shooting their full-size 357 Magnum from the side sometime as the exploding gas through the minute gap between each chamber of the cylinder and the back of the barrel blows out of the gun's side just behind the barrel like a nuclear event, Plus more gas 'n flame out the front of the barrel. Great show! But say goodbye to half your thumb were it held forward in error. Hold the Semi in a more traditional hand-hold, thumb NOT forward. THEN, you may be able to use the two to alternate Carry.

My view....
    Doghandler likes this.

It's what works for you. I shot revolvers for 20 years before getting into semis. I tried and tried to get used to thumbs forward on semis, but the most natural and effective grip for me is thumb over thumb for both. So essentially I use the same revolver type grip for both. I should note that in my effort to use a "proper" grip for semis, my accuracy with them suffered immensely. When I finally went back to my natural grip on semis, I started shooting the eyes out again. So, that's where I'm at.
    Doghandler and Eric357 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It's what works for you. I shot revolvers for 20 years before getting into semis. I tried and tried to get used to thumbs forward on semis, but the most natural and effective grip for me is thumb over thumb for both. So essentially I use the same revolver type grip for both. I should note that in my effort to use a "proper" grip for semis, my accuracy with them suffered immensely. When I finally went back to my natural grip on semis, I started shooting the eyes out again. So, that's where I'm at.
    I know quite a few people like this. As long as you are accurate, that all that matters.
    Doghandler likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Tiny autos like the LCP require thumb over thumb. I can shoot my Sig P226 either way. I stick with thumb over thumb mostly for sake of consistency, plus thumb forward is less comfortable for me due to the de-cocker hump.

Accuracy? I can hit the broadside of a barn if it's within range. ;)
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Thanks for the feedback folks. It'll be a while before I'm able to buy a second handgun. I'm just thinking about possible future options...especially with all this ammo stuff going on. I Have been thinking about finalizing a choice in my mind, and starting to buy ammo accordingly if I decide to go with a caliber other than 9mm. We'll see.

Links