Acp 45 revolvers

This is a discussion on Acp 45 revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only have one revolver( colt buntline 45), but was wondering if they make a smaller acp45 da revolver possible for pocket carry. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acp 45 revolvers

Acp 45 revolvers

I only have one revolver( colt buntline 45), but was wondering if they make a smaller acp45 da revolver possible for pocket carry. I have gotten started and now want a revolver. I have a decent supply of acp45 and .380 ammo so wanted to stick with these calibers. I think sw has one but it looks fairly big. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only revolvers I am familiar with in 45ACP are the S&W Model 25 a large N-Frame revolver. The other is the Ruger Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP that uses interchangeable cylinders and it too is a large revolver. Neither would be suitable for pocket carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The S&W revolvers are all built on the relatively large N frame. There are some short-barreled and light weight models, but overall these are going to be too big for pocket carry unless you're Andre the Giant.

I'd wager that someone could take a Charter .44 and modify it for .45 ACP, but that's a lot of work and cost for a questionable tradeoff in downrange effectiveness. Otherwise, I think you're looking for a unicorn.

I'd steer you toward compact .45 autos, like the Kahr CW45 or Glock 36. Both are also too big for convenient pocket carry, but both are quite compact and offer 6+1 capacity.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have an xds 45 and love it, but just have an urge for another revolver. Any good .380 ones? Maybe this urge will pass. My wife keeps saying, I thought you said that you were done.

Revolvers converted for auto rounds never really caught on. I have seen a few for the 9mm over the years but don't recall any for the acp45.
    You would be looking at one bulky weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I have an xds 45 and love it, but just have an urge for another revolver. Any good .380 ones? Maybe this urge will pass. My wife keeps saying, I thought you said that you were done.
    I think Taurus at one time did make a .380 revolver but they discontinued it. Their catalog does list a 9MM though.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think a company called double tap has a interesting little pistol

...S&W 625-10 is scarce...but was a great idea...don't think it's in production now...can't in good conscience recommend the Taurus snub...

Thanks for the replies.

All of the S&W .45s are N (large) frame guns. If you don't mind Taurus, they used to make a medium frame 5 shot .45acp revolver you might look around on gunbroker for one. I had one for a while, it was a solid, decently built gun.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I've handled the Taurus 380 revolver and it felt and looked cheap compared to the fit and finish of my Ruger revolvers. I don't know if they make it anymore though. The S&W 45ACP revolvers are going to be way too big for pocket carry.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...S&W 625-10 is scarce...but was a great idea...don't think it's in production now...can't in good conscience recommend the Taurus snub...
    Actually, AFAIK, S&W has been making various versions of their .45ACP revolver almost continuously For years. Currently they still makes the "Jerry Miculek" version of the 625 (special grips, sights, and engraving). They also just recently discontinued their 325 "Night Guard" version (snub nose, alloy frame, dark finish, night sights) so you may still find some of these on dealer shelves. Older versions included their "Mountain Gun" and "Thunder Ranch" versions.

All in all S&W revolvers in .45 ACP have certainly been the most popular and prolific revolvers chambered for auto cartridges over the years and are fairly easy to find either new or used.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

The various Smith & Wesson .45 ACP revolvers produced through the years are lovely handguns but, even if they have snub barrel lengths, are too large for practical pocket carry.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

For pocket carry, none unless you have some unusual pockets.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Smith & Wesson 325PD

The smallest .45 ACP revolver that I know is the S&W model 325PD, which is a 21 ounce gun with scandium frame and titanium cylinder, having a 2.5 inch barrel. It was manufactured during the period 2004 to 2006 and is 7.25 inches long. It is a fairly large gun for a snubby, given its 6 round cylinder and the diameter of .45 ACP ammo. I think it would conceal very nicely on the belt under a cover garment, but doubt if it would work in a normal pocket. Here is a picture and a YouTube video of the gun:

Smith and Wesson Model 325PD Revolver - YouTube
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links