Anyone know why Ruger pistols never caught on with LE/Military?

This is a discussion on Anyone know why Ruger pistols never caught on with LE/Military? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W, Glock, Springfield, Sig, Beretta and HK all caught on with police departments and the military. All of which are currently being used nationwide as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Anyone know why Ruger pistols never caught on with LE/Military?

S&W, Glock, Springfield, Sig, Beretta and HK all caught on with police departments and the military. All of which are currently being used nationwide as the issued duty gun of Agencies or are on the approved carry list for agencies.

So why hasn't Ruger been able to move in on the block and at least get some agency to issue out a SR9, 40etc?

VIP Member
    There could be several reasons. One could be Ruger may not have opted to go after the government contracts. The other is the Ruger SR series guns are new kids on the block. They SR9 was not introduced until Oct 2007.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There could be several reasons. One could be Ruger may not have opted to go after the government contracts. The other is the Ruger SR series guns are new kids on the block. They SR9 was not introduced until Oct 2007.
    What about the P90 series of guns?

M&P didn't come out until 05 and they are being used.

P89 had a good go of it during the late 80s during testing for new mil pistol contract. Durability testing I remember was really impressive - I don't know why M9 won. I think Ruger won a small Army contract with newer P95 variant about 10 years ago as well.

I never owned one, but when a buddy wayback started carrying a P89 (we could carry issue .357 Mod 66s or personally-owened firearms within certain standards) I shot it a good bit. Big ugly pistol that ate everything and went bang every time. I've "almost" bought a used one several times - they're really reasonable - but each time those dollar bills have decided to team up with other ones and go buy something different.

[Edit... I did a search and my memory must be getting as old as my knees. P85 was the variant my buddy must've had based on when it was released, and probably the one that the military looked at as well]
    Last edited by NH_Esau; April 12th, 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: CRS disease

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    P89 had a good go of it during the late 80s during testing for new mil pistol contract. Durability testing I remember was really impressive - I don't know why M9 won. I think Ruger won a small Army contract with newer P95 variant about 10 years ago as well.

I never owned one, but when a buddy wayback started carrying a P89 (we could carry issue .357 Mod 66s or personally-owened firearms within certain standards) I shot it a good bit. Big ugly pistol that ate everything and went bang every time. I've "almost" bought a used one several times - they're really reasonable - but each time those dollar bills have decided to team up with other ones and go buy something different.
    Yes I heard the same thing about the P89 and P95 and how they will eat anything and are really reliable.

Beretta probably had the lower price.

The Government "always" buys from the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for, not saying those purchased are bad. And yes I would agree, don't think Ruger really goes after Gov't contracts that I'm aware of. I believe from 2000 through 2011, Ruger only had two "small" government contracts.

...Ruger's done quite a bit of overseas business...and a few PDs...not nearly like the others mentioned...the P90's highly respected but doesn't have nearly the sex appeal of Sig or S&W...

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post

I would imagine S&W gave agencies they had existing relationships with a pretty sweet deal to trade in for the M&Ps.

And didn't the Beretta deal include putting missile stations in Italy?

Although the govt buys from the lowest bidder there is always a standard that has to be met where firearms are concerned.

If all else is equal yes the govt will buy the lowest bid.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomarfl View Post
    The Government "always" buys from the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for, not saying those purchased are bad. And yes I would agree, don't think Ruger really goes after Gov't contracts that I'm aware of. I believe from 2000 through 2011, Ruger only had two "small" government contracts.
    Your argument holds no water. If cost was the only factor then Ruger would win head and shoulders above Sig, Glock, HK and S&W. The only reason people buy the SR series pistol is to save a buck. Out of the four I mentioned it's below each and every one of them.
    glockman10mm, JD and Cdknox like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

After owning my first and last Ruger in the SR40c, it could be that their quality is sub par and I have a hard time seeing them compete in reliability with the other major manufacturers.
    Aragorn77 and C hawk Glock like this.

Ruger handguns and rifles aren't crap, but they aren't the best either. They've always made nice revolvers, but their semi autos are a little lacking.

I had a p95 series and absolutely loved it, it would eat anything put in it and after a 1000 rounds never jamed I would still have it but someone else needed it more than me I guess

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

My department did an exhaustive, and trying test on all the higher quality pistols to be allowed as Authorized Duty Firearms. Sig, Baretta, S&W, H&K, Glock and Ruger. Only three ended up being accepted. Glock, S&W, and Sig. The Ruger P85's that were used for testing were allowed to remain in service. There are a few probably still in service. The 92FS didnt make it, the H&K didnt make the cut either.

While the 92FS didnt make the cut for patrol service, it was/is the issue pistol to ESU (swat).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post

OK, I thought you were talking about the SR series guns. I know Ruger did try for some government contracts with their P series. As mentioned by someone else, pricing is probably the reason they failed to get the contracts. S&W is known for giving big price breaks onto get contracts and throwing in extras (holsters & spare mags) to sweeten the pot.

Back in the days when everyone wanted wheel guns, Ruger had some contracts with the federal government for their Six Series guns, and several states and a lot of local PD carried the Security or Service Six.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links