Still able to go to the range?

This is a discussion on Still able to go to the range? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before all this crazy gun stuff started I was able to go to the range 3-4 times a month but since then I haven't been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Still able to go to the range?

Before all this crazy gun stuff started I was able to go to the range 3-4 times a month but since then I haven't been able to go once. Either it's the cost of ammo or the fact that I can't even find any that's keeping me from staying savy on my skills. Is there anyone else that's having the same issue and is there a way to train while being able to hold onto the ammo I still have?

Get some snap caps. It helps to work on your form. I'm in the same boat with my 9mm. Can't find any ammo. No fun.
    Life is about service.

VIP Member
    I'm a .38/.357 guy so I've been able to acquire ammo at near pre-panic prices - but it takes a bit of effort, and I have now a decent supply to get me through the fall, I would suppose. Also, in October I purchased a lot of .22 ammo because I was getting low, so I'm well stocked with .22's as well. I also have about 1600 rounds of 9mm, but I'm not shooting it, as the prices is simply outrageous.

But - I've been cutting back. I went to the range today to test out some guns that I modified with new spring kits and to test out a pair of VZ grips, but I'm going to curtail my activities now, probably down to once a month, maybe 100 or so rounds of point shooting and a couple of hundred rounds of .22. The cutback will continue until this madness is over or until the supply chain is replenished and costs resume steady state, whatever that may be.

So even if you have ammo, you are affected.

But hey, at least you're saving some money.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure many are in the same fix. Lucky for me, I reload and keep a good supply of components. What I am almost out of is 22 rimfire. Let's all hope that this craziness ends soon!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have alway kept well stocked with reloading components and I cast my own bullets. Ammo shortages haven't effect me yet. But it could happen.

Currently it costs me around $3.00 to assemble a box of 50 .45 ACP rds with either a 200 gr SWC lead bullet or a 230 lead round nose bullet. About the same for 147 gr lead 9mm bullets.

I refuse to load for anyone except myself, wife, sons and daughters
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Become a more deliberate shooter, that's what I have done. We all know how quickly you can blow off a couple of hundred rounds in less than an hours time ( considering your at a range where you pay for an hour on the lane ). I have also been buying the range ammo ( reloads ) from the range as I am trying to hold on to what I have until this ammo shortage madness calms down. I shoot a 40 M&P and a LC9 and can get ammo at the range for about $20.00 for a box of 50 rounds for each caliber but your only limited to 2 boxes of ammo due to the current ammo issues. Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I found one store that seems to have a reliable supply of ammo. They do limit you to two boxes, and the price is inflated, but I also think that this is why they have it. I haven't been to the range since December and have been getting the itch. Part of the reason is that my membership expired and I don't want to renew it until the ammo situation stabilizes so I know I will get my moneys worth out of it. I have also been setting money aside for the more expensive guns that I would like to get.

I do have a question. A dumb one perhaps, but would someone please tell me exactly what snap caps do? For example, I have a Glock and if you dry fire it, you need to manually rack the slide to do so again. Do snap caps help with this?

A visit to the range is my recreation and I look at it like playing a round of golf; I still spend less on average than my friends do for 18 holes.

I carry several different calibers with me and generally shoot what is available in relative abundence at that time at the best price. I see nothing wrong with reloaded range ammo and its mostly all I shoot if I have a choice both from a financial and conservation standpoint. While I don't shoot as much per visit as I did before things got crazy: I do enjoy the time and have found that with everyone in the same boat we spend a lot more time talking than shooting and thats ok too.
    NewtownSam and Florida_9mm like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Dry fire practice is extremely valuable. And it is free.

If you have a smartphone, IPSC Shot Timer is a great app.

You can increase the sensitivity such that it will pick up the click of the striker.

It will also get tripped as you slam home magazines. Thus you can set up some targets (smaller the better) and set the timer to give you a randomly timed beep to start, draw from the holster, engage one or more targets in tactical sequence, drop and reload mag, engage a second time, drop and reload mag. Record your time.

As to your original question, my range time has increased, but I shoot .22 almost exclusively. If I find 9 mm I pick it up and shoot it, but I don't want to go through my stock. As for 22, it has remained available throughout the shortage, but at elevated prices, and in more limited quantities... And zero selection. The only thing available is CCI Mini Mags 40 grain, 1235 ft/s. My strategy has been to leave with as much or more ammo than when I arrived.

Ironically, I've been replacing real cheapo stuff with higher quality ammo... and while by stockpike has increased slightly (in 50 - 100 round increments) but now that I have officially run out of the cheap stuff, my shooting of 22 has become much more deliberate.

On the bright side, my Buckmark Camper loves the CCI. Consistent nickel size groups at 30 feet.

As far as the 9mm goes, I've seen more improvement from focused and disciplined dry fire practice than I was getting through live fire practice.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

I do have a question. A dumb one perhaps, but would someone please tell me exactly what snap caps do? For example, I have a Glock and if you dry fire it, you need to manually rack the slide to do so again. Do snap caps help with this?
    Snap caps don't affect the slide. They just protect the firing pin/striker. I believe Glock makes a dry fire kit that resets the trigger after firing. Trigger Reset Kit for Glock
    Life is about service.

Currently I'm shooting quite a bit of .177 caliber. So far, there seems to be no shortage.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    I try to shoot at least once a week but not very much at a time. By not very much, I mean shooting less than a half a box of ammo. I'd rather do that and stay in practice than shoot more ammo only once or twice a month. I'm a reloader and haven't been able to find primers (spp) for months. At the rate I'm shooting, I have enough ammo for a year. Hopefully, primer and powder levels will return to normal before that.

VIP Member
    We stocked up on components before the election and have enough for the season. Lots of matches to shoot
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm afraid this might not ever get totally better. I'm starting to think this could be a step or "sea" change when it comes to ammo prices and availability. Let's face it folks, there's more people being born on the East and West costs and fewer in-between. Add to that those coming in from the south and I fear we've reached a tipping point. Not to be depressing but I think it's true.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm afraid this might not ever get totally better. I'm starting to think this could be a step or "sea" change when it comes to ammo prices and availability. Let's face it folks, there's more people being born on the East and West costs and fewer in-between. Add to that those coming in from the south and I fear we've reached a tipping point. Not to be depressing but I think it's true.

Gideon
    No legislation I've seen, that has ANY chance of ever passing, has any impact on the ammo business in my opinion. The main reason for ammo prices to go up is because of supply/demand (which is what we're seeing now) OR due to the price of making the ammo which I'd guess is mostly the raw materials (lead, copper, brass, whatever). IMO, once the supply/demand equation settles down, and I see no reason why it won't eventually do so, then we'll be back to paying for the raw materials plus the respective markups. I think we'll be back down to previous prices in some period of time assuming commodity prices don't spike in the interim.

As to when that will occur? I have no freakin' clue. Soon, I hope!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links