What happened to the Beretta COUGAR?

This is a discussion on What happened to the Beretta COUGAR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember thinking it was a fine looking gun when it came out (of course, hadn't the money to buy one, though). ...Now it's not ...

Thread: What happened to the Beretta COUGAR?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

What happened to the Beretta COUGAR?

I remember thinking it was a fine looking gun when it came out (of course, hadn't the money to buy one, though).

...Now it's not even on the product catalog list on Beretta's website.

What happened to it? Discontinued? When? Why? (Lack of interest? Problems?)

It had that barrel that had an unconventional rotating barrel lockup, didn't it? Is that the reason it's not around anymore? I thought that was supposed to be a good design, with better inherent accuracy.

Does anyone around here have and use a Cougar? What are your views on it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's now being made in Turkey and distributed by Beretta sub, Stoeger.

http://media.benelliusa.com/Stoeger/releases.tpl

According to folks on the Beretta Forum that own them, they are every bit as good as the Beretta-made Cougars.

I own two Cougars and they are sweet firearms.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The older ones are around; I just saw a used Cougar at Cabela's a couple of months ago.

I've never shot one, but have always heard good remarks about their performance. As some, though, I find them to be a bit homely, proportioned oddly I guess. Sorry srfl...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Good helpful Info srfl
    Beretta Cougar & the Mini Cougar nice guns.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Would one expect parts and/or service to be harder to come by since they're not "current" Beretta guns?

The Cougar has been replaced by the PX4 in the Beretta line. And the 92FS for the 90-Two.

For more complete information about Beretta's, I'd suggest going over to Beretta Forum: http://www.berettaforum.net/

That place is full of Beretta enthusiasts who know what they're talking about, and can easily clear up your Cougar questions...there are a couple of Cougar fans there in addition to srfl; when you post, they'll pop up.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    For more complete information about Beretta's, I'd suggest going over to Beretta Forum: http://www.berettaforum.net/

That place is full of Beretta enthusiasts who know what they're talking about, and can easily clear up your Cougar questions...there are a couple of Cougar fans there in addition to srfl; when you post, they'll pop up.
    I'm one of "enthusiasts." That was the first gun forum i joined, which led me here eventually. It's a great place, lots of great guys and gals all very willing to answer your questions.

VIP Member
    According to several Beretta USA managers that are members of the Beretta Forum, the 90-Two has replaced select Beretta 92/96 models, including the fantastic Vertecs; the 92FS will still be made, but IMHO, who knows for how long.

Beretta needs to come out with another compact full-power gun to stay in the CCW game. Dropping the Mini-Cougar, Cougar L, and 92/96 Compacts (including the nine-shot 9mm Type M) was a grave mistake.

Beretta Cougar just didn't sell well

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    What happened to it? Discontinued? When? Why? (Lack of interest? Problems?)
    I never owned a Cougar, but remember when they came on the market, back in the 1990s. I would see them in gun stores and at the range, and read articles in the gun mags about them. Beretta touted the rotating barrel design as being more accurate, with less muzzle rise. They also advertised the ergonomics of the grip, which were a comfortable fit for most hands. But they were not the most attractive gun, in my eyes - a little clunky looking. And they were fairly heavy, with their metal frame. So I never bought one.

Evidently the market agreed, because they never seemed to sell very well, and Beretta lost market share to companies like Sig and Glock. I guess Beretta finally decided they needed a polymer framed gun with more attractive lines, and came out with the PX4. But they kept the rotating barrel design. Unfortunately for Beretta, the polymer frame market is already crowded with competition, and new guns like the S&W M&P and the Springfield XD are doing well in the polymer niche.

Here is a picture of the one Beretta Cougar that once tempted me to buy it - the "Inox" or stainless model with wood grip panels. But I didn't buy it.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It had that barrel that had an unconventional rotating barrel lockup, didn't it? Is that the reason it's not around anymore? I thought that was supposed to be a good design, with better inherent accuracy.

Does anyone around here have and use a Cougar? What are your views on it?
    To the best of my knowledge, the new PX4 uses the rotary design, though they may have made some slight changes to the design. I had a Cougar L in 9mm, and while it was a good gun, I didn't feel it met my needs for carry, and traded it in on a 1911...

VIP Member
    Right you are jts1031, the Px4 incorporated the Cougar's rotating barrel system.

I have a Cougar L which I love.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Beretta needs to come out with another compact full-power gun to stay in the CCW game. Dropping the Mini-Cougar, Cougar L, and 92/96 Compacts (including the nine-shot 9mm Type M) was a grave mistake.
    Indeed they do, and they claim to acknowledge this need. They also make claim of a compact version of the PX4 being right around the corner and make mention of a brand new CCW gun which will be single stack and compete with Kahr. When they will ever get around to releasing these is anybody's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Garg View Post
    Indeed they do, and they claim to acknowledge this need. They also make claim of a compact version of the PX4 being right around the corner and make mention of a brand new CCW gun which will be single stack and compete with Kahr. When they will ever get around to releasing these is anybody's guess.
    Release is supposedly going to be May, but of course thats not set in stone, especially with Beretta. They're also going to be releasing a .45 version of the full-size PX4 at that time.

Here's the upcoming Compact PX4:

I love Beretta, Have a PX4 9mm and it was perfect right out of the box. Not one single problem and no break in period. Also own a 90-two and its my favorite. I have over 1,000 rounds in each and never had one failure...
    I do wish that Beretta would come out with a CCW soon.
    I am seriously looking at the Kimber Ultra CDP ll .45. But I have to tell you that I am concerned with all the stories I hear about Kimber feed problems and break in periods.
    To be fair I called Kimber and they have assured me that if I have one single problem that they will stand behind their product 100%.
    Is just hard to imagine if the day you dread comes upon you and after all the training and preparations, you gun fails. Not a good thing........

Links