questions for the lady CCW

This is a discussion on questions for the lady CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello, We're looking at getting my Wife and Daughter their CCW permits after going through the appropriate training. My Wife wasn't as receptive of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: questions for the lady CCW

questions for the lady CCW

hello, We're looking at getting my Wife and Daughter their CCW permits after going through the appropriate training. My Wife wasn't as receptive of the idea but does agree with it now. I showed her my S&W 442 revolver and she thinks it's too big for her to conceal. I've been doing research on this site about the pocket 380's that are out there and it seems like this might be the route to go for the 2 of them. She did however think she wanted a safety on her gun.i'm not so keen with that idea but we'll see when the time comes. One thing i did learn is I'll need to take them both to a local gun/shooting range to try before we buy. I've looked at the bodyguard 380, ruger lcp, bersa 380,p238,taurus738, etc.
    There's alot of guns and opinions out there and i welcome any input and advice from this wonderful site. Thank you in advance.
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Taking them to the range and trying as many guns as they want is the best bet. While a .380 may sound good they may instead prefer a 9MM, .38Spl or even a 45ACP and it is best to let them find what they want and are comfortable with.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Let them pick what they want... its key.
    Aceoky, Eagleks and Ddog0587 like this.

All of this gun legislation stuff has already started to backfire on what its intended to do.
    There are a lot folks that were going to get a cc permit etc that absolutely refuse to do so now. They are getting guns thru private buys and carrying CC but will not be tracked, traced or back grounded by a government they absolutely do not trust after this last round of NY CT etc and the Feds latest run on our Constitutional rights.

I have mine and have for years but in a sense I cant blame them.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If you plan on sticking with a .380 that Bersa isn't a bad choice. Large enough to get a decent grip without killer recoil, but still small enough to easily conceal,.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    My wife has a S&W 642 for her CCW, and loves it, she will not change or upgrade. As she says, "I like my gun".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I showed her my S&W 442 revolver and she thinks it's too big for her to conceal.
    There's a lot of guns and opinions out there and i welcome any input and advice from this wonderful site. Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

First congratulations to you both for her taking the steps to become armed and trained. Question is why does she think an S&W 442 is too big to conceal? Having a good bit of experience with petite ladies, that is hard for me to fathom. How has she tried to carry it? Concealment is a topic of its own and if you will answer that question you will get a number of good suggestions to try out.

As to what she will like to shoot that is both concealable and effective, the "try before you buy" is well advised. Start with low recoil, close target and slow fire.

Consider Sig P238

If your wife wants a gun smaller than a 442 plus a manual safety, the Sig P238 might suit her. The photo below shows my 642, the stainless version of your 442, together with my P238. Both guns weigh about 15 ounces, but the P238 is smaller and thinner, hence more easily concealed. And being single action, the P238 has a manual safety and is carried cocked and locked. The gun also has light recoil and the slide is easy to rack, making it attractive to many female shooters.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

First, what everyone else says about letting her shoot them. And maybe more than once, since the first time could just be a novelty reaction. For concealability and reliability as well as simplicity of operation, I recommend the LCP. The long trigger is as good or better than a manual safety. I think the single action nature of the P238 just offers too many complexities for a new CCW holder. My wife has both the S&W Airweight (which she likes to shoot) and an LCP. Most often, the LCP goes with her because it's so easy to carry and conceal. The size and weight of the Airweight is fine, but its thickness and shape make it uncomfortable to conceal on occasion.

It can't be said enough that the most important things are letting them try different guns and then deciding for themselves what's comfortable. A person can learn any gun. I racked the slide on the P238 and was sold. Being new to guns, I wasn't familiar with the single action platform, or any other platform for that matter. But boy was that a motivation to learn. I say "I love my gun" all the time and I love shooting it and becoming better with it. It's very easy to conceal as well.

Besides, if you buy your gun THEN apply for your CCW permit, you unfortunately should have plenty of time to practice!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Getting comfortable with a gun and cc is a long process. Lots of range time reloading safety lots to learn. Have patience start stocking up on ammo to use. To be able to use a gun in a emergency situation you have to have practiced till its second nature. This is not the mindset of a novice. Try to make it a hobby you can all enjoy. Good luck

My wife has been adament about me always having my gun with me but never wanted one of her own. One day she came to me with an application for a CCW. I have bought several guns she wanted and she settled on a 442 I added a laser and she got rid of it. She wanted an extendagrip by hogue and now says this is the gun for her.

I think it has to be their choice. I will say she shoots that one gun very well.

Congratulations on their commitment. The only down side is I don't always get the chair facing the front door of a restaurant with my back to the wall. She gets that chair about 50% of the time now.

VIP Member
    I agree with the others, range time to find what works for them. Then let them make the final decision. While that small and light little Bodyguard or LCP may be great for concealing and carrying, it may be detriment when it comes to practicing with it. While the standard .380 is a fairly mild load, the recoil in an ultra lite gun can be brutal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packerfan View Post
    There's alot of guns and opinions out there and i welcome any input and advice from this wonderful site. Thank you in advance.
    You may wish to start them with a NRA Basic Pistol Course just to learn the basic of a pistol and shooting.

While I don't recommend the Ruger LCR, the Ruger LC380 provides a better platform. As everyone else has stated the Bersa 380 or the the Walther PPK/s would be additional choices.

Please start them out at the range with a 22LR then move them up as they become comfortable with the explosion in their hands. Helps with recoil management. Hopefully the range has 22LR ammunition!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

The Selecting a Handgun for Home Defense sticky post is highly informative. See the sticky list at the beginning of the Defensive Carry Guns topic page. It will give you and your wife a good grounding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links