SP101 modification?

SP101 modification?

This is a discussion on SP101 modification? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw these pics on a google search and was wondering why someone would want to modify their revolver's trigger guard in such a way. ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Stevew
  • 2 Post By WC145
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 3 Post By Madcap_Magician
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: SP101 modification?

SP101 modification?

I saw these pics on a google search and was wondering why someone would want to modify their revolver's trigger guard in such a way. It doesn't look too safe having an exposed trigger guard and I don't really see any benefits from the mods.

If you have some insight into why someone would make these changes let me know.

5765943865_a91d9f07d0.jpg5765944417_367e238a5d.jpg5766491814_2eb1fc2f9c.jpg
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

It used to be more common. It never was smart.
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret and grouse like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

That was a old mod from the old west texas rangers used to do that I have even seen a 1911 rigged up like that for fast draw, imho looks dangerous . I carry SP an had complete action job an big dot but could not see a valid reason for that

That would be a "Fitz Special" type of mod. It was the idea of John "Fitz" Fitzgerald, he worked for Colt back from the '20s through the '40s and was a competitive shooter, an author, and one of the pioneers of modern combat handgun tactics. The idea behind the mods he did - bobbed hammer, cut away trigger guard - was to allow for snag-free pocket carry and quick trigger access, especially if you were wearing gloves. While it looks like it would be dangerous, the heavy trigger pull of a DA revolver means that you'd have to hang the trigger up on something and then keep pushing until the trigger completed it's long arc for the gun to fire, not the kind of mistake an experienced gun man would be likely to make.

A less radical trigger guard modification from around the same time was to narrow the front of the trigger guard by half, leaving it intact but still allowing faster trigger aquisition.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Learn something new everyday. Personally I don't find that to be money worth spending if its a gun to be carried. Not to mention being potentially less safe, if you did for some reason have to use your firearm, that might be a bit more difficult modification to explain.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

...the weak point is that if it's struck and bends, it'll bind the trigger...not the best idea anyone ever came up with...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

But why?
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    People used Fitz specials to maximize speed from draw to fire. The finger doesn't have to go inside the trigger guard this way. There was a school of thought that emphasized speed-shooting from a 'gunfighter's crouch' with the first shots being fired as the gun reached the horizontal plane at the hip. Additionally, practitioners would draw with the finger on the trigger before reaching an aimed shooting position.

It was an expert's gun mod, and definitely a pretty unsafe one.
    bmcgilvray, WC145 and msgt/ret like this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

A unattractive and unwise mutilation in my view. Lots of poor Colt and some Smith & Wesson revolvers (along with a Webley seen in the photo link below) were, and occasionally still are, given this treatment. The unsupported remnant of trigger guard is said to be easier to bend, possibly interfering with the trigger.

Colt once offered it as a factory custom option. A Colt revolver that factory letters as a "Fitz'ed" gun is worth a pile of money these days. It's one old gun option that I would be uninterested in owning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fitz...w=1280&bih=890
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I would also hate to go to court after an SD shooting with that gun. Lawyer types would love that. I'll keep SD guns pretty well stock, thank you.

Oh, it wouldn't bother me in the least to press a Fitz'ed revolver into service for self-defense. It's "borrowing trouble" unnecessarily to fret about what could happen in court. A righteous defense doesn't depend on using only unmodified firearms or factory ammunition.

I just think the modification is hideous and an offense to the eye as well as a daft mutilation. Trigger guards have a purpose and that's to protect the trigger, both against accidental discharge and from becoming disabled due to a blow.
    msgt/ret and Snub44 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    That would be a "Fitz Special" type of mod. It was the idea of John "Fitz" Fitzgerald, he worked for Colt back from the '20s through the '40s and was a competitive shooter, an author, and one of the pioneers of modern combat handgun tactics.
    I’ve seen guns like that at gun shows, never knew there was a name for that mod.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsored Links