Who can argue with 5th Special Forces Group?

This is a discussion on Who can argue with 5th Special Forces Group? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When the first one of them came through the door I scanned the isles for cover. By the time the last one came in... I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who can argue with 5th Special Forces Group?

Who can argue with 5th Special Forces Group?

When the first one of them came through the door I scanned the isles for cover. By the time the last one came in... I felt VERY safe. Nine civilian-dressed members of 5th Special Forces Group just walked into my favorite Gun Shop. They're easy to spot if you're paying attention; fit, smart, quiet, smooth, clear-eyed, confident & all-business. The owner greeted two of them by name, introduced me to them and, in turn, introductions were made with the remaining seven. The Shop Owner then turned to stack nine, black GLOCK boxes on the counter. These guys, these professional soldiers of the highest level, had come to pick-up their new G19 GLOCKs.

As if I wasn't paying enough attention before...these best-of-the-best, fresh on leave, Ft. Campbell Fire Eaters were picking the same pistol I had under my sweatshirt! NOW I'm all ears. I HAD to ask the obvious question -"why"? Simple - the U.S. was supplying the new Afghani & Iraqi Police Forces with the G19. As a result, these men (who are free to carry basically whatever they WANT) had gotten their hands on a few. It didn't take long to scuttle-butt through the SF community that the G19 would keep running when the M9 (Beretta 92) "might not" (no insult intended to Beretta fans, that's just a direct quote). So these nine members of 5th Group had all spent their own money & ordered their own, personal G19 to carry upon their return assignment. We talked about 9mm stopping performance (no problem according to these guys), what things were "really" like (tough & rewarding), and I shook their hands & I thanked them for their service. Honestly? These are the type of men you HOPE they would be. And I was proud to meet them.

It'a rare to get eye-witness, first-person confirmation of almost anything gun related. In a Gun Shop, 45 miles NW of Ft. Campbell, I had the good fortune to meet the real deal. And they're all betting their 1* on the GLOCK G19. Thought you'd enjoy the tale.

God Bless the USA & the Members of 5th Special Forces Group. (And the Devil can welcome the poor ******** who fight 'em.)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Who can argue with guys from the 5th Group? Guys from the 1st Group....3rd Group....10th Group....20th Group....the ODD.....SEALs.....USAF Pararescue.......

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

+1

Good read, thanks for sharing.
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Yeah, you're right srlf. We're blessed with the hardest fighting, finest trained, best equipped military force(s!) in the world. I didn't relay the story to begin a "my dog's tougher than your dog" debate. Nor am I bashing the Beretta M9. I've met HARD ASSES at Church Camp and cowardly Army Rangers. It's the man that makes the uniform, not vice versa. And if THESE guys wanna' pack a GLOCK bad enough to BUY one? It's a story worth telling. YOU go argue with 'em!

Kinda makes me want to go out and buy a Glock...but they are really just to square for my hands.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

If I was going to carry a 9mm, a G19 would be my first choice. Cannot beat the size vs. capacity, IMO. And this from a die-hard XD fan!

Excellent story--thanks for sharing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    Kinda makes me want to go out and buy a Glock...but they are really just to square for my hands.
    Or maybe your hands are just too round for the Glock?

What A Great Opportunity...

to meet the troops 'first hand'...we should all be proud of what they do...
    Spending their own $$$?...I hope they got superb bottom line deals!!!!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Great read - thx, I enjoyed it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    One wonders why they didn't opt for the G18... if they can carry "what they want"...

Oh, I forgot -- the U.S. military barely trusts its own with handguns! It's no surprise then that they don't let them have select-fire ones.

VIP Member
    It was a joke Ghost....relax. I actually liked your story.

Argue with them?....I do occasionally, I regularly work with SF at my current AFRES assignment at MacDill....us Type A types in Intel and Type A types in Ops always argue....but we get our respective jobs done....us: getting them real-time intel; them: breaking things (and they do it better many most on this website realize).

The Shop Owner offers substantial discounts for LEO and Active Military on everything (not just on GLOCKs). It pays-off in the long run. After all, most of his old, faithful, gray-beard customers are ex-Airborne Kentuckians. The Big City makes us a little nervous but we're REAL comfortable in the Deep Woods.

Administrator
    Good story ghost tracker...I would have been tempted to buy them some spare magazines or something as a show of appreciation.

Not to side track the thread, but the G18 is kind of a worthless pistol. I did not care for it in full auto mode at all. I would choose G19 over one anyday for a working gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The Glock discount program is also extended to reservists, NG, fire and (I heard from a couple of gunshops) EMTs.

srlf, I was cuttin'-up with you too (but I'm not smart enough to use those little smiley faces). I used to argue with 'em as well but that was 25 years ago. And, if memory serves, it didn't do that much good back then either.

peacefuljeffrey, these guys already have select-fire weapons. They're issued M4 carbines but often carry an AK model to present a less immediately identifiable profile. They dress like Bedouin nomads wearing Scott sand goggles. If you're close enough to tell they're SF... it's too late.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links