Range Report: HK P2000SK .357Sig LEM

This is a discussion on Range Report: HK P2000SK .357Sig LEM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I'm finally back, got this gun almost 3 weeks ago but between work and life in general I have had very little free time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Range Report: HK P2000SK .357Sig LEM

  1. #1
    Ex Member Array MJB_17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,419

    Range Report: HK P2000SK .357Sig LEM

    Well I'm finally back, got this gun almost 3 weeks ago but between work and life in general I have had very little free time for much of anything nonetheless a range trip. Finally got to take it out this past Sunday. Unfortunately, no pics since I don't own a camera and using my phone didn't occur to me, oh well next time.

    First step in my trip was to reenact (with myself) the scene from Sudden Impact where Callaghan shows Horace his new .44 Automag...

    I didn't fire a huge number of rounds, mainly due to my supply being limited and the fact the .357 Sig isn't exactly cheap. I shot 100 rounds of Fed American Eagle FMJ 125gr and 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 125gr. I split it up to 50 FMJ, 13 JHP, 50 FMJ, 12 JHP for variety and testing the weapon under different cleanliness and heating conditions. I only have two magazines as of now so that kind of slows things down. I had zero malfunctions of any kind, very please.

    As far as the shooting experience, the recoil isn't really harsh, it is more of a sudden snap but not quite as strong as .40 is. However, it is LOUD. I didn't notice any flash, but it was a dry sunny day so it was impossible to know, I imagine in the dark their would be one. The LEM trigger takes a little bit of getting used to, but I'm comfortable with it now and really like it. I can see how it really does allow for faster follow up shots but it is unlike any trigger I've ever used before.

    What I Like:
    -The quality is immaculate, everything is machined perfectly and clearly the tolerances are extremely tight. I own Glocks and M&Ps and they are well made, but HK just takes it to another level.
    -The trigger, it takes some getting used to but once you get comfortable it is very good, also the hammer seems to cycle faster than any hammer fired weapon I have ever seen.
    -It is reasonably small and light, I don't have a holster for it yet (on order) but intend to carry it IWB and expect it will be just fine for that purpose.
    -The .357 Sig cartridge delivers excellent firepower and performs well through auto glass and sheet metal, this is of particular importance to me since I consider an attempted car jacking to be one of the most like SD shooting scenarios.

    What I Don't Like:
    -The mag release (on the trigger guard) is kind of awkward. I'm used to the conventional American style thumb activated push button. This one you have to kind of shift your grip and then pull it down, I'm going to play with the interchangeable backstraps to see if this can be fixed.
    -Parts/magazine availability is not exactly easy, panic or not. It came with 2 mags, I've been looking for more but so far can't find any anywhere. The search continues.
    -Not really a 'dislike' per se, but the takedown procedure is kind of weird. You literally take a large piece out of the gun which is kind of disconcerting that a major part can be removed so easily!
    -The costs involved are steep in every regard. I paid roughly $1000 for the gun after tax, mags cost roughly $60 each and .357 Sig ammo is not cheap. To be fair, I knew all this before I bought anything, and this definitely was an indulgent purchase. I've been fortunate to have had a good past couple of years with the business and decided to treat myself. I'm not into things like expensive cigars or clothes etc. but I definitely do appreciate fine machinery. I'm thinking of getting a .40 barrel for it, but they seem to cost about as much as a used Glock so I don't see that happening soon.


    Kind of a funny side note, the range (outdoor) was unusually quiet despite it being a weekend and great weather (sunny, 75 or so), I was there alone and there were only a few other shooters. The noise of the .357 definitely caused others to pay attention to me! There were two guys on the same range next to me who were definitely 'bubbas' (no offense to any bubbas on here, but one reminded me of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill) who had 1911s and some revolvers, during a cease fire they started talking to me asking what I was shooting. I said an HK P2000SK and got a 'huh?' response...I explained that it is the gun the Border Patrol use (mostly true, they use it in .40 and mostly the full size model) and that rang a bell for them.

    All in all, I really like the gun. After I get my holster (Comptac kydex IWB) it will certainly go into my EDC rotation with my Glock and my M&Ps. Yes, HKs are expensive, but I feel that I have gotten my money's worth without a doubt. Right now, I only have a small amount of .357 Sig ammo on hand (25 rounds of Gold Dot 125gr), but enough for EDC use. Unlike how I normally treat my EDC guns by unloading them every night, I'm not going to do that with this one due to the risk of setback with the very high pressure loading of the .357 Sig. I'm very glad I bought this gun and I expect it will serve me well for many years to come.
    JD, GhostMaker and Phaedrus like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,058
    The H&K P2000SK is one heck of a good gun. Extremely reliable, capable, fully-ambidextrous controls. You're right about the magazine release being a bit different than most everything else on the market. For me, that's its only real downside. Great choice!

    Once you're really up to speed with it, if you're willing, feel free to post some target pics. It'd be nice to show what this gun's capable of.

    Congratulations on the new stable pony.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array MJB_17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The H&K P2000SK is one heck of a good gun. Extremely reliable, capable, fully-ambidextrous controls. You're right about the magazine release being a bit different than most everything else on the market. For me, that's its only real downside. Great choice!

    Once you're really up to speed with it, if you're willing, feel free to post some target pics. It'd be nice to show what this gun's capable of.

    Congratulations on the new stable pony.
    Thanks, yea next time I take it out I'll take pics. I'm a decent, not great, but decent shooter in general and found the SK easy to shoot accurately, I think the trigger helps a lot. Some people complain about the somewhat unusual sight picture but I have no issue with it.

    When I got it I texted my father, who has an affinity for snub revolvers, he looked up how much it cost and was flabbergasted that I spent that much on a gun. I made up a story about how the .357 is a semi auto equivalent of the magnum and the SK is a subcompact equivalent to a revolver haha.

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quantico/ F'burg, VA
    Posts
    1,389
    The more you use the paddle style mag release, the more it makes sense. There are three ways folks press the paddle. One way with the thumb, as many are used to doing with button releases, second is with the trigger finger and third using both fingers. After years of shooting the HKs I've come to prefer the paddle lever mag release. It is the only release that I can use without changing my grip. It can be done very fast too.The different backstraps can have an effect on both grip and shooting speed. You may want to try both mag bases as well.

    The SK is a terrific pistol. It always makes me smile when I shoot. It's just so competent. For practice I use both 10 and 13 round mags for the USPc. The 10 round mags can be found for much lower prices, or could before the current madness.
    kmagnuss likes this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array Old_Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,151
    As a long time revolver shooter, I love the LEM trigger. Nice smooth first pull and then just relax your trigger finger a little bit and you feel the reset point for quick follow-up shots that feel like SA. I have a 9mm P2000SK as my research has led me to believe that a .357 Sig out of a short barrel will give you the same ballistic performance as a 9mm +P out of the same gun but with all the muzzle flash and recoil of the .357 Sig round. It is truly a cartridge that needs a longer barrel to reach its potential as a .357 magnum clone. Without the longer barrel it is like shooting a .357 magnum round out of my snub nose revolver. I may gain a little velocity over a .38 spl but if I choose my .38 +P ammo carefully I can find some that will meet or exceed the performance of most .357 magnum rounds out of the same gun but with less recoil and flash. That is why most carry .38 +P in their small .357 mag guns.

    However, if the ammo were not so expensive I would buy a full sized .357 sig in a heartbeat as I love hard recoiling and loud guns. I used to shoot .357 magnums from an 11 oz. snub nose for fun and they lit up the place and I had to use ear plugs and ear muffs to lower the volume. Enjoy the gun as you have good taste. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,135
    Try HKParts.net. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to get mags in and they won't be cheap, but the service is superior and the products will be genuine HK. Great review! I'm a bit of an HK fanboy myself!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    “You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,058
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I'm a decent, not great, but decent shooter in general and found the SK easy to shoot accurately, I think the trigger helps a lot.
    Some folks rail against the heavier trigger pull, many even complaining how it's not smooth as "buttah." If interested, you could always give H&K a call about their options for altering the trigger pull-weight, or give one of these gunsmiths a call about smoothing up the trigger/action: Gray Guns (Bruce Gray).

    Prior discussion on action/trigger jobs for H&K's: click.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  9. #8
    Member Array OJDerrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    My Home
    Posts
    66
    Consider the larger hk45c mag release. It makes it much nicer.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanks for the write up. I really like the 357 Sig and enjoy shooting it.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

    --- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array SCfromNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,028
    I have the H&K 2000sk also and it is a great gun. The double recoil spring tames the recoil. I have .40 and it's recoil is as managble as many of my larger guns. I found that using 2 fingers on the paddles that the mag drops easily with very little pressure.

    As many have suggested USP larger mags for back up or practice work well and are cheaper. I picked up 4 on gunbroker for $100. H&K gets mags in constantly. I am looking for some myself and the next delivery would be at the end of April: 706-568-1906 ext. 227 "Travis"

    I also believe the quality of H&Ks are worth the price.
    Registration: A prelude to Confiscation and Anarchy.

  12. #11
    Ex Member Array MJB_17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I have the H&K 2000sk also and it is a great gun. The double recoil spring tames the recoil. I have .40 and it's recoil is as managble as many of my larger guns. I found that using 2 fingers on the paddles that the mag drops easily with very little pressure.

    As many have suggested USP larger mags for back up or practice work well and are cheaper. I picked up 4 on gunbroker for $100. H&K gets mags in constantly. I am looking for some myself and the next delivery would be at the end of April: 706-568-1906 ext. 227 "Travis"

    I also believe the quality of H&Ks are worth the price.
    Thanks for the info and contact #, I'll look into that for SK mags. I bought 2 USPc mags from HK parts today, $40 each, I know they will stick out but they are more for range use than anything else so I don't mind the protrusion. I'll stick with the SK specific mags for carry, holster should be in tomorrow if UPS is telling the truth! Since I have a lunch meeting about a mile from where I live, I'll probably stop home if it is delivered in the morning and carry it for the afternoon/evening.

    Now the quest shifts focus for ammo, maybe DHS can hook me up...

  13. #12
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,190
    I work the paddle with the middle finger of my shooting hand.

    1: It forces the trigger finger up and away from the trigger during reloads.

    2: I don't have to shift my grip as much and the longer finger seems to press back/in/down and seems more solid.

    I've been so happy withe the light LEM in my P30LS that I just converted my HK45 to LEM. Even though the P30 trigger has been worked by Gray guns, I really like the trigger I ended up with in the 45, although I'm not using a standard configuration.

    Now I just need a LEM kit for my P30S....and a P2000SK in 9mm.


    Good write up, thanks for sharing.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,058
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I work the paddle with the middle finger of my shooting hand.
    That's my method, as well, on the P2000SK.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  15. #14
    Member Array R040607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    206
    Congratulations on a fantastic gun! Many people that have not experienced the quality and feel of an HK will say that it is too expensive and not worth the investment. Most all of them will not say that after they have actually handled one.

    While I don't have a P2000SK, it is certainly on my short-list! In the meantime, I'll have to make do with my USPc .357SIG. I love it!

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post

    What I Like:
    -The quality is immaculate, everything is machined perfectly and clearly the tolerances are extremely tight. I own Glocks and M&Ps and they are well made, but HK just takes it to another level.
    -The trigger, it takes some getting used to but once you get comfortable it is very good, also the hammer seems to cycle faster than any hammer fired weapon I have ever seen.
    -It is reasonably small and light, I don't have a holster for it yet (on order) but intend to carry it IWB and expect it will be just fine for that purpose.
    -The .357 Sig cartridge delivers excellent firepower and performs well through auto glass and sheet metal, this is of particular importance to me since I consider an attempted car jacking to be one of the most like SD shooting scenarios.

    What I Don't Like:
    -The mag release (on the trigger guard) is kind of awkward. I'm used to the conventional American style thumb activated push button. This one you have to kind of shift your grip and then pull it down, I'm going to play with the interchangeable backstraps to see if this can be fixed.
    -Parts/magazine availability is not exactly easy, panic or not. It came with 2 mags, I've been looking for more but so far can't find any anywhere. The search continues.
    -Not really a 'dislike' per se, but the takedown procedure is kind of weird. You literally take a large piece out of the gun which is kind of disconcerting that a major part can be removed so easily!
    -The costs involved are steep in every regard. I paid roughly $1000 for the gun after tax, mags cost roughly $60 each and .357 Sig ammo is not cheap. To be fair, I knew all this before I bought anything, and this definitely was an indulgent purchase. I've been fortunate to have had a good past couple of years with the business and decided to treat myself. I'm not into things like expensive cigars or clothes etc. but I definitely do appreciate fine machinery. I'm thinking of getting a .40 barrel for it, but they seem to cost about as much as a used Glock so I don't see that happening soon.


    Kind of a funny side note, the range (outdoor) was unusually quiet despite it being a weekend and great weather (sunny, 75 or so), I was there alone and there were only a few other shooters. The noise of the .357 definitely caused others to pay attention to me! There were two guys on the same range next to me who were definitely 'bubbas' (no offense to any bubbas on here, but one reminded me of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill) who had 1911s and some revolvers, during a cease fire they started talking to me asking what I was shooting. I said an HK P2000SK and got a 'huh?' response...I explained that it is the gun the Border Patrol use (mostly true, they use it in .40 and mostly the full size model) and that rang a bell for them.
    First let me thank you for an extremely LUCID thread/post, seem these days we have a rambling post!

    I glad you had time to get out with your SK. Some notes from my experiences: You'll find the mag release takes time and training to get accustom to the release and you should be able to release and drop the mag with one hand for reloads. If the trigger is an issue after time, then you may wish to have a trigger job done. I did mine my self and all three of my are a V1. My 9mm has over ± 7,000 rounds with no failure to feeds. Now you need to get a 40 S&W barrel!

    If you think it loud at an outdoor range, try it indoors! PM if you can find 357 Sig. SD ammo.


    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

h&k p2000sk .357 sig
,
hk p2000 357
,
hk p2000sk
,
hk p2000sk .357 sig for sale
,
hk p2000sk 357
,

hk p2000sk 357 sig

,
hk p2000sk 357 sig barrel
,
hk p2000sk review
,
p2000 357 sig
,

p2000sk .357 sig

,
p2000sk 357
,
p2000sk 357 sig
Click on a term to search for related topics.