Beretta Nano: Quick First Impressions

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano: Quick First Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only recently gotten into handguns and concealed carry, but I wanted to share my thoughts for others considering the Nano. I'm no expert, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano: Quick First Impressions

I've only recently gotten into handguns and concealed carry, but I wanted to share my thoughts for others considering the Nano. I'm no expert, so take this for what it's worth.

I've spent the last couple months looking for a new 9mm for EDC. After considering several options, I narrowed my options to the Nano, Shield 9, and Glock 26. Ultimately, I went with the Nano as it is single stack and more easily concealed than the Glock (especially in shorts/t-shirt during summer), and it's actually available in store cases unlike the Shield.

That said, I picked one up today for $380 out the door. After a quick but thorough clean and a few hundred times racking the slide, I was off to the range to start breaking it in and testing for reliability/dependability. I was pressed for time and I don't have a cache of ammo to send down the pipe, so I brought 150 rounds FMJ plus a few 115 gr JHP. I have read several reviews that this gun has failure to extract issues with lighter load 9mm, so I started with 50 rounds of remanufactured brass 124gr FMJ; no issues. Those were followed by 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ, out of which I had 2 fte. I thought I'd push my luck and see how it would handle 50 rounds of steel cased TulAmmo 115 gr FMJ; I was actually surprised with only 1 fte. I followed these up with two mags of Remington 115 gr JHP; all of which functioned without issue.

A few notes/thoughts:
    -I've read about people calling this gun top-heavy; it is. When I held it in store, I figured it would "balance" a little once loaded. It doesn't. Definitely top heavy. This is not entirely bad, however, as it helped with its lack of perceived recoil. It is a very manageable gun for its size with little to no "snap".
    -Trigger pull is long but it's smooth and has a consistent and predictable break.
    -For such a small gun, it's very accurate. I blew out the center of my paper target at the range today from 7 yards.
    -The diamond stippling on the backstrap is very aggressive. It hurt my hand by the time I was finished with just over 160 rounds.
    -Takedown couldn't be any more simple; (after safety checking of course) pull the trigger, turn the dial, take off slide, remove spring and barrel. Bam, done.
    -This thing is ultra concealable. Single stack mag so it's super thin. It's approx 4" tall, so even a skinny guy like me can make it disappear in a waistband.

Overall first impressions are positive. I'll reserve judgement on reliability until I have a few more rounds through it and will update this thread on a later date if there's interest.
    DJC7 and sonnycrocket like this.

I've been doing a ton of research for my first carry gun and thought I had settled on the G26. But, recently have been thinking I may want to get something thinner to help ensure I want to carry it at all times. The Nano is one of the guns that has really interested me. Thanks for the review. I look forward to more of your reviews on it.
    Last edited by DJC7; April 16th, 2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: grammar
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I love, love, LOVE my Nano. 250 rds. to date (from Feb. 1 to present) with 0 zero zilch fte's or other issues. The aggressive backstrap hurt/cut into my fat jelly roll with my hybrid IWB holster, so I got the rubber talon grips: Problem solved! Trijicon night sights should be here this weekend. And I got a PJ Holster that should be here this weekend too. Great gun!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My brother in law recently bought a Nano and I too was surprised at how well it shot. Congrats on your new purchase.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    FYI: You don't have to pill the trigger to disassemble. It has a take down "button" that you can press with a ball point pin or something similar that will release the seer without pulling the trigger. It is one of the advertised features of the Nano.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I've been doing a ton of research for my first carry gun and thought I had settled on the G26. But, recently have been thinking I may want to get something thinner to help ensure I want to carry it at all times. The Nano is one of the guns that has really interested me. Thanks for the review. I look forward to more of your reviews on it.
    Yep, this was a concern of mine with G26. I have been carrying a full size Ruger P95 and it's the same width (1.2") as the Glock vs. .9" for the Nano. .3" of an inch isn't much but makes a big difference under a t-shirt on a skinny guy. Thin/concealable was one of the biggest factors in my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    I love, love, LOVE my Nano. 250 rds. to date (from Feb. 1 to present) with 0 zero zilch fte's or other issues. The aggressive backstrap hurt/cut into my fat jelly roll with my hybrid IWB holster, so I got the rubber talon grips: Problem solved! Trijicon night sights should be here this weekend. And I got a PJ Holster that should be here this weekend too. Great gun!
    Glad you like it. So far, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    My brother in law recently bought a Nano and I too was surprised at how well it shot. Congrats on your new purchase.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    FYI: You don't have to pill the trigger to disassemble. It has a take down "button" that you can press with a ball point pin or something similar that will release the seer without pulling the trigger. It is one of the advertised features of the Nano.
    One less tool to use just adds to the simplicity of takedown. Nothing is habit for me yet, so I was/am very diligent in safety checking and handling and have no issues pulling the trigger.

Here is a very simple tool that I carry on my key ring for de cocking the Nano and turning the take down cam. I made it from an old key that had lost it's usefulness. You can use a file or a Dremel Tool.
    Attached Images

McTufferton, Congratulations on the new Nano. I bought mine January 15, 2012. I've shot it a lot and the only FTEx that I had early on were with sub-standard ammo. I trust it completely and carry it daily. It does have the LaserMax, Talon Grips, and Bedair stainless steel guide rod. I like to carry it in my front or back pocket or with the Remora 4ART between my belt and jeans. A "T" shirt hides it well. Here is my current round count.
    Nano NU0018xx
    350 Monarch 115gr FMJ brass
    55 Monarch 124gr JHP brass
    250 RWS 124gr FMJ brass
    14 Speer Gold Dot 115gr GDHP
    247 Winchester 124gr NATO
    14 Hornady 135gr Critical Duty
    50 Blazer 115gr FMJ brass (2 FTE)
    100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ (4 FTE)
    25 PMC 115gr FMJ (very old but worked fine)
    50 American Eagle 124gr FMJ
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
    Yep, this was a concern of mine with G26. I have been carrying a full size Ruger P95 and it's the same width (1.2") as the Glock vs. .9" for the Nano. .3" of an inch isn't much but makes a big difference under a t-shirt on a skinny guy. Thin/concealable was one of the biggest factors in my decision.
    I would have considered a single stack sooner but couldn't bring myself to give up those 3 or 4 additional rounds that the G26 offered. Now, I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of a 6 round capacity. Would much rather have 6 rounds on me than 10 rounds at home!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by Nano65 View Post
    McTufferton, Congratulations on the new Nano. I bought mine January 15, 2012. I've shot it a lot and the only FTEx that I had early on were with sub-standard ammo. I trust it completely and carry it daily. It does have the LaserMax, Talon Grips, and Bedair stainless steel guide rod. I like to carry it in my front or back pocket or with the Remora 4ART between my belt and jeans. A "T" shirt hides it well. Here is my current round count.
    Nano NU0018xx
    350 Monarch 115gr FMJ brass
    55 Monarch 124gr JHP brass
    250 RWS 124gr FMJ brass
    14 Speer Gold Dot 115gr GDHP
    247 Winchester 124gr NATO
    14 Hornady 135gr Critical Duty
    50 Blazer 115gr FMJ brass (2 FTE)
    100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ (4 FTE)
    25 PMC 115gr FMJ (very old but worked fine)
    50 American Eagle 124gr FMJ
    Thanks and I'm glad you like yours. Nice setup you have going. I'd have no issues carrying my Nano with those stats. I might be looking through rose colored glasses, but I have a feeling I'll come to trust this little gun based on performance with the lighter rounds yesterday this early in the break in process. And most of what I've read on the FTE issues were based on earlier models/serial numbers.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    After reading about the Nano in an issue of the NRA magazine, what induced me to purchase it was its modular construction. It was originally designed as a .40 cal pistol. They decided to make it a 9 mm because of the popularity of the rnd. They may come out with the same gun in .40 cal. This told me that the gun was over- built and would go the distance. It is also now available in a pink model for women. I saw a young lady drooling over one at a recent gun show. The new model also comes with one regular mag. and one higher capacity mag. That being said, I still think my G-26 is the smoothest shooting .9mm I've ever fired.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I handled a Beretta Nano last week at my LGS and was practically drooling while holding it. It is a beautiful little pistol and very easy to conceal. I think the Nano, Shield, PPS, and Sig 938 are the top ultra compacts right now and a great option for those that have a small build and a tough time concealing a weapon.

In my case, I am a big dude standing 6'2" and weighing a lean 195 pounds, so concealing a Glock 26 is much easier for me. Otherwise, I would be carrying a Nano or PPS.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My G26 has been very concealable during my skinny days (6'1" and 165lbs) and all the way through my heavier days after quitting smoking (210lbs) all during the hot summers here in South Florida wearing shorts and a polo shirt. However, I have been really checking out the Nano's. I haven't shot one yet, but I hear good things.

My experience with the Nano is almost identical with the OP's, as are my overall impressions of it. I bought mine with 2 uses in mind: a carry gun for me and something my wife would be comfortable with at home. Mine came with one 6 and one 8 rd mag and I purchased one more of each. This works out nicely because when I carry it, I have the 6 rd mag in and when it's at home, the 8 rounder goes in. The 6 rd mag makes it easy for me to conceal while the extension of the 8 rd mag lets her get a good grip on it. The perceived recoil of this pistol makes it a good choice for her as well. If I had to make one criticism, it would be aesthetic. It is not what I would call a good looking gun but if all goes according to plan, nobody's going to see it anyway. So far I'm pretty happy with this thing.

Update 5-11-13: Another 150 rounds through. 100 rounds PPU 115gr FMJ with 1 fte; case extracted and made it about 3/4 of the way through ejection and got caught. 50 rounds TulAmmo 115gr FMJ; 0 issues.

To date: 312 Rounds:
    -150 PPU 115gr FMJ with 3 FTEj
    -50 Remanufactured 124gr FMJ with 0 issues
    -100 TulAmmo 115gr FMJ with 1 FTEj
    -12 Remington 115gr JHP with 0 issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links