How is Ruger quality, especially the SR compacts?

This is a discussion on How is Ruger quality, especially the SR compacts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read some comments in various threads which made me wonder about the quality of Ruger semi-autos, giving me the impression that they may not ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: How is Ruger quality, especially the SR compacts?

How is Ruger quality, especially the SR compacts?

I've read some comments in various threads which made me wonder about the quality of Ruger semi-autos, giving me the impression that they may not hold up well over the long term. I'm in the market for a 9mm for home/self defense and like the feel of the SR9c. It feels good in my hand and shoots well.

And, too, its price is attractive, but $100 or so under what seem like comparable guns makes me wonder why. Does Ruger simply not command the price that a Glock 19 or 26 or a Smith & Wesson M&P9c because of its name? Because local law enforcement or military often (or so it seems to me) carry Glocks or S&W's? Is Ruger a more cheaply made gun?

I admit that I'm not a gun aficionado! I have Stevens .410 single shot that my dad gave me when I was about 12, a Remington 1100 12-gauge that I bought some 40 years ago, and a Charter Arms .38 Special Undercover that I've had for over 30 years. Still, I think a good 9mm semi-auto or two would be good to have, and the question about Ruger's quality is one I'd like to get a handle on. And, as you can see, I like to keep what I buy.

I realize my question may almost seem like I'm trolling, just trying to stir the post, but I am simply looking for some reasonable insight. And I've seen a lot of reasonable insight around here!

Thanks.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Ruger LC9 about 6 months ago, I've run probably 50 rds through it. I really do like it. It fits in my pocket well. I gave the guy $350 FTF. He'd fired 20 rds through it.

I don't feel like it feels cheap, seems like good little gun.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My wife has a LC9 and it seems like a well built little pistol. It is accurate as well. I personally don't like the magazine disconnect safety but that is more personal preference. I have always liked Ruger pistols, revolvers, and bolt rifles.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Ive got an M&P 40, Sig P290, and my Ruger SR9c does not feel lacking in quality compared those two. It has held up well for the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    Ive got an M&P 40, Sig P290, and my Ruger SR9c does not feel lacking in quality compared those two. It has held up well for the last two years.
    Welcome to the forum, Halem, and thanks for your input.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have a Ruger P89 and a Ruger P95, beat the heck out of the both and never had a problem.

CSL
    I own the SR9 and absolutely love it. I have put about 200 rounds through it without a single issue. I was originally interested in an SR9c, but was not able to find one locally. I had not done much research on the SR series when I bought the gun, and was wondering if I should have just coughed up the extra $100 or so for a Glock. However, all of that changed when I took it to the range. For me at least, I am much more accurate and comfortable with the SR9 than with the Glock 17 or 19. The ergonomics are excellent. I took my ccw class this weekend and was able to wow the instructor and some of the Glock guys in the class with a nice 3" group.

The quality is excellent for the price and I have no doubt it will serve me well for many years. I recommend it without hesitation.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

I've been very impressed with the quality of my LCP. It's also surprisingly accurate for a pocket pistol.

I own two Rugers. The LCP and LCR 357. The LCR is a sweet revolver. Nice trigger pull and good at spitting distance where stubbies shine. The LCP is quite honestly really nice for such a small gun. Mine has over 400 rounds thru it and no malfunctions of any kind. For the type of deep concealment pistol it is there's really no substitute.

But having said that I used to own a LC9 and SR45. Didn't like either one and sold both. Both had FTF issues sporadically and the LC9 had a terrible long trigger pull that I never got good at (at least for me). I wouldn't carry either one, couldn't trust them.

But honesty to each his own. It's truly YMMV. Some people get really reliable samples and get used to it. That's why I kept two Rugers and sold the other two.

In dont do Ruger centerfire auto handguns. Especially not the little shooters.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    In font do Ruger centerfire auto handguns. Especially not the little shooters.
    I don't understand the wording of that first sentence, Glockman. Sorry if I seem dense.

I've got a SR9C and a M&P9C. There's nothing wrong with the Ruger. I like the S&W better though. When using the small magazine, the Ruger has noticeably more muzzle flip and a little more felt recoil. My Ruger has been reliable though. It's aim is true and I haven't had any issues feeding any type of ammo. For extended range sessions, I'd suggest using a full size magazine. That will completely change the felt recoil and muzzle flip and make it feel more like a full size pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I don't understand the wording of that first sentence, Glockman. Sorry if I seem dense.
    I fixed it. I don't care for Ruger centerfire autos. For me it's like settling for a cheap beer. Oh, they work fine, but lack those finess qualities I appriciate in a pistol.
    IMO, you would be better off to put a little more with it and buy something like a Glock or one of its copies.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

here's to a cheap beer. Sorry Gman, but the SR's just work. Has one of the best triggers on a striker fired pistol I've shot, and
    you'd never know the grip is for a double stack. This is not your Daddy's P89.

\
    MJB_17, 40Bob and surefire7 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks, Glockman, for your explanation.

Lots of positive comments. So is it the fit and finish of the Rugers and not the quality of the materials, and I'm thinking especially of the SR9c, that accounts for its being a significantly lower price than a Glock 19/26 or S&W M&P 9c?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links