7-Round Magazine for XD-s: Opinions?

This is a discussion on 7-Round Magazine for XD-s: Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a 7-round magazine for my new XD-s. If you have one, what has your experience with it been, thus far? Are you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 7-Round Magazine for XD-s: Opinions?

7-Round Magazine for XD-s: Opinions?

I just ordered a 7-round magazine for my new XD-s.

If you have one, what has your experience with it been, thus far? Are you pro or con (and why?) on the 7-round magazine?

2. Remove Ads

I have one and it has functioned flawlessly since day one but I've read posts of others on XDtalk that have had feeding issues with them in their pistols. At the moment, it seems to be hit or miss with getting one that feeds reliably. I like the 7 round mags. I use it primarily when I out and about on the property and concealment isn't a priority. For EDC, I typically will use the 5 round mags. The pistol tucks away a bit better with the shorter mag.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I've never had a problem with the 7rd mag in mine. When I carry the XDs, I carry the gun with the 5rd and take the 7rd as a second mag.
    ironmike86 and Richard58 like this.

No reliability problems with the extended mag. I bought it thinking it would allow me to shoot that little .45 with better control...wrong! In comparing the two, I shoot better with the short mag. With the extended mag I'm shooting low-left, so my guess would be that the pinky is overcontrolling. One of the guys who works at the range has one as well, and he carries it full time with the short mag. Said he shoots it better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by grabdawg1 View Post
    No reliability problems with the extended mag. I bought it thinking it would allow me to shoot that little .45 with better control...wrong! In comparing the two, I shoot better with the short mag. With the extended mag I'm shooting low-left, so my guess would be that the pinky is overcontrolling. One of the guys who works at the range has one as well, and he carries it full time with the short mag. Said he shoots it better as well.
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I am particularly surprised by your comments about shooting better with the 5-round magazine!

I guess I'll see if that holds true for me as well.

Prior to the mag being broken in, I had a few problems getting it to snap in. Also for some reason, I have to be more aggressive with the XDs slide to get it to rack with the 7 rounder.
    Springfield Armory XDs .45
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm sc
    NRA Life Member

I have two of them. No problems at all. Like others I carry with the 5 round. I use them primarily at the range. I have 7 or 8 mags for each gun that I load and take to the range. Makes it easy and just enough to get a little practice without costing too much.

I definitely enjoy the longer magazine at the range, but like everything, it's a personal compromise between capacity, proficiency and ability to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    I definitely enjoy the longer magazine at the range, but like everything, it's a personal compromise between capacity, proficiency and ability to conceal.
    Agreed. As much as it disappears IWB with the 5 round, it absolutely sticks out like a sore thumb with the 7 round.
    NRA Life Member

I ordered one from SA about a month ago. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by grabdawg1 View Post
    I did a three way comparison; 5 rd mag, 5 rd mag w/Pierce pinky extension, 7 rd mag. I shot best with the 5rd mag w/pinky extension, then with the standard 5rd mag, and the 7rd mag came in last. This was my experience - - someone else can have a completely different experience.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    I ordered one from SA about a month ago. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get one?
    Ordered mine in January and it took five weeks.
    NRA Life Member

I think you guys saved me some money. I was trying to order a couple of 7 rounders, but all out of stock. I got a new XDs that I haven't gotten to the range yet. Will definitely try out the 5 rounder before buying the extended version.

Thanks..

VIP Member
    I use nothing but the five rounders. I bought this pistol to be a small pocket gun which works perfect. If I'm going IWB or OWB I'm going to carry my Glock 20.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links