Defensive Carry banner

After Too Much Time and Too Many Dollars

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  fowler 
#1 ·
... I finally decided on a carry combination that meets my needs. A bobbed hammer Ruger SP101 rides in a strong side IWB holster. A S&W 642 rides in a nemisis pocket holster on the weak side. Two Bianchi speed loaders reside in the strong side front pocket.

Admittedly, I've had fun with all the Glock's (26, 36, 30, 21,17), Smith's (586, 649, 686, 625 and Model 10), SA's (1911 mil spec and xd's), and the lone Kimber (BP Ten II) and Kel-tec. Unfortunately, none of them met my needs completely like the sp101 and 642 combination. There were always malfunctions to deal with, weight and size issues, power concerns and the ability to hide the gun and still be comfortable.

I feel confident with two great American manufacturing companies backing each other up with this carry combination. I also feel comfortable with 5 rounds of .357 mag in the Ruger before having to switch to Speer .38 special rounds. Ten more .38 special rounds are ready to be brought into action with the speed strips.

For me, there is just something special about the revolvers. I don't think about the malfunctions as much as I do with semi auto's, and I take comfort in knowing that when the pressure is on, I don't have to concentrate on anything but the front sight. Hit a bad primer and all I have to do is pull the trigger again.

Anyway, the quest for the perfect carry combination has ended for me. My local gun dealer will hate to hear the news. To everyone else-- good luck in your quest for your perfect carry combination.

whw

See less See more
#2 ·
I know what your saying. It takes awhile to find the magic combination. I like my current list of wares.
If it came down to it, I could do away with the rest and use my 2 revolvers also... but I don't wanna...

#3 ·
Two revolvers for CCW

Your plan of using two revolvers, a Ruger SP101 IWB on the strong side and a S&W 642 in the pocket on the weak side, has a lot of merit. I can see several advantages:

1. The weight is better balanced than having a single semiauto on the strong side.

2. If strong side hand is disabled or restrained, you can use your weak side hand to defend yourself with the 642 in the pocket.

3. Almost absolute reliability in the SP101 primary, backed up by almost absolute reliability in the 642 backup. You won't be dealing with a jammed gun, in all liklihood.

4. Revolvers just conceal more easily than semiautos of similar size - I think it is the small grip and barrel, plus the curved contours.

5. Your 10 shots before reload will be adequate in 99.9% of the civilian CCW shooting situations I have heard about.

A CCW instructor and moderator on Packing.org named Steven Wenger (Arizona) also packed two revolvers for CCW, one on each side. I think he used S&W model 640s, which are 5 shot all steel enclosed hammer .357s like your Ruger. He frequently advocated this approach in postings, as I recall.

Congratulations on finding the CCW formula that works for you.

#5 ·
A CCW instructor and moderator on Packing.org named Steven Wenger (Arizona) also packed two revolvers for CCW, one on each side. I think he used S&W model 640s, which are 5 shot all steel enclosed hammer .357s like your Ruger. He frequently advocated this approach in postings, as I recall.
Yep. He (StePHen Wenger) still posts there quite regularly as "spwenger". He carries a S&W 640-1 Centennial on each side, plus a DeSantis 2+2+2 pouch at about 1:00.

He has a great web site that I think all readers will gain from:

http://www.spw-duf.info/

Get a copy of his book, too, it's an eye-opener.

#4 ·
... I finally decided on a carry combination that meets my needs. A bobbed hammer Ruger SP101 rides in a strong side IWB holster. A S&W 642 rides in a nemisis pocket holster on the weak side. Two Bianchi speed loaders reside in the strong side front pocket.
This sounds like a great setup. I wonder though why you choose not to carry the 2nd revolver on the non-dominant hip rather than in the pocket?

I feel confident
I also feel comfortable
And that is very important. The more comfortable you feel, the more you will enjoy practicing, with obviously improved results.

Very glad you found something that works well for you.

#10 ·
I have done the same. Maybe I've found the right rig just because I ran out of money, ha.
I do look forward to buying some "fun guns" now. There is a High Standard Victor on Gun Broker that I have wanted since I was a kid. Also a beautiful Colt Python, but it is up over $1,000 and has 7 days left on the bid.

whw

#7 ·
I have been thru the ''carry metamorphosis'' and also carried very happily an SP-101 for some time in a nice K&D rig.

I do tho also feel that I have my near ultimate combo, as it is coming up to two years unchanged - my 226 ST in an Eagle Defender from K&D. I happen to like large and heavy and my lifestyle and cover options make this easy. I rarely vary from this any more.

If comfort, confidence and familiarity with the platform are all well fullfilled then probably yes, you have found the carry nirvana - for you.

#11 ·
whw - I have posted these pics before a few times but here is my rig set up.

I remind folks that when I got my wife to ''snap'' these pics I had an old belt on - since replaced and my t-shirt was well wrinkled!. I do tho find I am happy one hole short of fully cinched and the gun still stays in real tight. These pics were well over a year ago - it is still just as good :smilez: As long as cover garment cuts it - all is well.

#13 ·
One cannot argue the New York reload with two pistols . One strong side one weak side. Even one wheel and one auto combo. Like a G19 and a J-frame. I recall one Jewery store out in Cal. That the owner got robbed some 3-times and killed and wounded at least 6 perps with his two on his body and a few more hidden in the shop. When one went dry out the other 2-3 went into action. When asked he said there is no time to reload. Wounded bad himself a few times he lives to tell the tale. Then the famous Jim Crillo in many N.Y. L.E. shoot outs the same. A New-York reload. Lord we hope it never rains that hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.