Thoughts on Reminton R1 Enhanced Stainless

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Reminton R1 Enhanced Stainless within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking at purchasing R1 enhanced stainless as my first concealed carry weapon. I was referred to by a mentor of mine to pick the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Reminton R1 Enhanced Stainless

New Member Array montanacntryboy's Avatar

Im looking at purchasing R1 enhanced stainless as my first concealed carry weapon. I was referred to by a mentor of mine to pick the handgun that felt most like an extension of my arm and the 1911 fits perfect. But being a greenhorn when it comes to concealed carry, any suggestions about both the firearm itself and holsters/ways to carry would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Have you tried anything else? IMHO, there MAY be better choices for a beginner. However, if you have someone who is willing and knowledgeable enough to train/teach you, then a 1911 is a great choice.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have it in the black version. Worked great out of the box. Accurate, any brand of ammo so far has worked without a problem. Had it a year. A bit large to carry IMHO. A full size 1911 is way to large for me. I carry a Colt New Agent in a Stephen Kelley C-Flex.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by montanacntryboy View Post
    Im looking at purchasing R1 enhanced stainless as my first concealed carry weapon. I was referred to by a mentor of mine to pick the handgun that felt most like an extension of my arm and the 1911 fits perfect. But being a greenhorn when it comes to concealed carry, any suggestions about both the firearm itself and holsters/ways to carry would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    I'm really in live with the 1911 platform and like you, I've never found a gun that feels more at home in my hand. That being said, you might look at a Commander sized (4.25" barrel) or Officer's sized (3.5") or even a compact like the Colt New Agent (3"). I carry an all steel officer's and at 32oz, it's as heavy as I think I'd want to go with a concealed gun (at least for IWB carry). Just my opinion though, if you don't mind the extra weight I've heard nothing but good things about the R1s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    if you have someone who is willing and knowledgeable enough to train/teach you, then a 1911 is a great choice.
    Agree 100%.

1911s are not for everyone, but they are a fantastic platform, if you're dedicated in really learning it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

That's an advanced gun if you're new, but then again if you get off on the right foot why not? It's kind of large and heavy for CCW and lacks the capacity of modern designs, but 8 solid hits is better than 15 misses.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

one 1911 expert - Larry Vickers - has said that in the 21st century, the 1911 is an enthusiast's gun, not a service gun. he has also said that anyone who carries a 1911 as an Every Day Carry (EDC) gun should know how to detail strip, not just field strip the gun, so that you can keep an eye out for potential problems.

another expert - Ken Hackathorne - has said, referencing the 1911: "if you treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, get a Glock."

a steel, full-size 1911 will weigh about 10 ounces more (unloaded) that many other common mid and full size SD guns.

the primary attractions of the 1911 platform (IMO) are the wonderful trigger (on a properly set-up example) and the slim grip. combined, this makes the gun about as easy to shoot well as any SD handgun.

it's major disadvantages (again, IMO), are higher weight, smaller ammo capacity, the need to disengage a safety prior to firing, and a more complicated design which has the potential for more maintenance problems.

I carry one IWB in a Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC holster. You will need a gun belt due to the weight, but it disappears from sight. I also bought a Remora holster but I never use it as the Minotaur was so comfortable once I found the right spot (3:30 for me).

Its a large gun to use as an EDC weapon for most people, and its not cheap. Its a good chunk of change to spend on something that you may decide is not what you were looking for. Before you drop the cash, I would look at a more typical carry sized weapon like like a G19 / 23, M&P shield, Ruger SR40C, etc. and see if that suits you. If you want a 1911, there are 3 inch model 1911's available from sig, RIA, Kimber, etc. If you are set on the R1 , and the size is not an issue, go for it. Learn it well and carry it always.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

New Member Array montanacntryboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Have you tried anything else? IMHO, there MAY be better choices for a beginner. However, if you have someone who is willing and knowledgeable enough to train/teach you, then a 1911 is a great choice.
    I have tried a few. My dad is military and I grew up in the country so I've had the opportunity to fire quite a few. The handguns I have fired the most would:

my dads Beretta 92 fs. I liked it but it just didnt have that "feel" my mentor was talking about.
    a couple of my buddy's glocks (9mm and .40) i wasnt very fond of the glocks.
    and the 1911. which to me felt the most comfortable.

I am looking at purchasing through where I work and my options are limited to Remington and Para-USA. So thats my draw towards the Remington R1.

The R1 looks like a nice gun and it's a Remington so you know it's quality, but I can't see that being a good choice for a CC gun, especially for a beginner. Just like Larry Vickers said, the 1911 is an enthusiasts gun in this day and age (paraphrasing). To me, the 1911 design seems like it is just begging to get snagged on something during a high stress situation, between the hammer, safety, sights and beaver tail that is way too many sharp edges. I'm very much of the school of thought that a CC gun should be as light as reasonably possible and also a free from protrusions ("smoothness" if you will) as possible. That explains why all my CC guns are polymer framed and either striker or DAO hammer fired semi autos.

Save the 1911 for the range or for HD (if rail & light equipped), get something more practical for CC.

I think it will work fine provided you get a good, quality holster and gun belt. Then train, train, train!
    varob likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I think it will work fine provided you get a good, quality holster and gun belt. Then train, train, train!

Keep in mind. You're carrying a steel gun,it's supposed to be heavy.

My first carry gun was a S&W 4006, or as I like to call it "The boat anchor."
    OD* likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Just looked at one in the LGS was $729.00 it was the RIS ( stainless) looks good, good online reviews, however I purchsed a Colt M1911 instead. I would get the Rem in a heartbeat if the Colt was not in the glass.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I carry a full sized stainless Kimber, I have 22,000 rounds through it. A 1911 is the only gun I want to carry, If you learn to shoot you won't need all the ammo that others carry.

I have a Blade Tech holster, most of my shooting is IDPA. The reason I have a Kydex holster is for shooting IDPA it's a lot easier to reholster and without any retention strap to fool with on the draw. As for the safety if you are going to discharge the gun it comes off on the draw as it comes out of the holster. I carry it everyday, everywhere it is legal to do so. I hear people dissing this style gun because of a hole list of things, but I wont carry anything els if I have any choice in it.

As fot the Remington I have not heard any thing negative about them, also Rurger seems to be a good choice.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links