Kahr CW9

Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just saw one at my LGS today. I've been on the lookout for a nice single stack 9mm for summer carry. Would like to survey ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9

Kahr CW9

Just saw one at my LGS today. I've been on the lookout for a nice single stack 9mm for summer carry. Would like to survey the DC crowd for your opinions on it. Good? Bad? Current or previous owners preferred. Thanks much!

I've had one for a while and have nothing but good things to say about it. But if you get it please read the user guide. They HIGHLY suggest a 500 round break in period so be patient. They are great guns and SOOOOO easy to carry and conceal. Worth every penny!

I just recently bought one, and while I have not had it for long, I really like it. It is light and easy to conceal while while providing 7+1 of 9mm. But most of all from the time I picked it up fort the first time it just felt so natural in my hand. Great sights on it for such a small gun.

Great gun. Longish trigger pull (common to all striker-fired pistols) but the break is better defined than on my Glock, and it's easily learned. I like it for its compactness and light weight; this is my 'around the house' or 'quick grip to the corner market' piece. I have no hesitation in recommending it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I bought My first kahr , a CW9 from a disgruntled owner. I did nothing but clean it, lube it and shoot it. Round count for that pistol is a little over 1300 rounds and its 100% reliable. Kahr does NOT have a 500 round breaking. They do say to shoot several hundred rounds but that break in tends to be as much for any tight handgun and many of todays shooters going to small light heavier recoiling pistols. That should happen with any handgun to be sure your ammo runs reliably and with many small handguns that you can also run it reliably. I now have 3 kahrs that I carry only. All three have been great pistols with zero issues for a many thousands of rounds.

Feed a handgun good ammo. Allways have several brands to try on a new handgun as the smaller they are the pickier it can be with todays ammo companies producing so much bad ammo . And when you can no longer control it well ,stop shooting. Its easy to run a few hundred rounds threw a full size heavy pistol. When size and weight decrease so does round count for most before they have control issues.

CW9 can be bought well under 400 dollars from most lgs's. $375, localy. You will need to buy extra mags . I use a 8 rounder as a back up. And have carrier kahrs since '08.
    sensei2 and Kilowatt3 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Kahr's a great weapon. You may want to look at the CM9. Basically the same gun As a CW9 with a few less aesthetics, but a significant difference in price.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Wife carries a CW9, I carry a CW45 in the summer months.

Neither required the "break in" period. I simply disassembed them and cleaned and lubed them well, and went shooting without issue.

The CW9 has a remarkably low felt recoil for that light of a 9mm. Vastly different than the PF9 (by the way is a decent gun) which is a pretty snappy felt recoil and can wear on the hand after a bit.

Yes the CW series triggers are a bit long, but it is a striker fired gun and the trigger is the safety. It doesn't take much to master it.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Hodad The cm9 and cw9 are the same price only a size difference, cm9 with a 3" barrel and 2 finger grip, cw9 with a 3 1/2" barrel and 3 finger grip. Price's for the CM/CW are the same amount around here and have been for many years now. Both are the lower price models in the kahr line up. Maybe you are thinking of the PM and P series if there price difference.

Great input guys, thanks! I used to own the Ruger LC9 which is similar to this but it had a ton of annoying safeties and for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting good with that gun. It's trigger was just funky. Heck I shoot better with my tiny LCP than with the LC9!

Has anyone owned both the LC9 and CW9 or at least shot them both before? What are your conclusions? I think that would be the ultimate laugh test for me.

Again thanks for responding!

Mine after I polished the chamber and barrel with Mothers Mag Polish. Great gun....se easy to carry a Caveman could do it.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Hodad The cm9 and cw9 are the same price only a size difference, cm9 with a 3" barrel and 2 finger grip, cw9 with a 3 1/2" barrel and 3 finger grip. Price's for the CM/CW are the same amount around here and have been for many years now. Both are the lower price models in the kahr line up. Maybe you are thinking of the PM and P series if there price difference.
    Your right. My bad. I was thinking the PM9. Which is the more finely finished and more expensive model.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    My EDC is a PM9 and I love it. It is extremely concealable, great to shoot and for me it has been very reliable. I agree with Gasmitty that the trigger break is well defined and thus easy to use once you get used to it. I know that the PM9 is a little smaller and has a higher price point, but the CW is a very similar gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Great input guys, thanks! I used to own the Ruger LC9 which is similar to this but it had a ton of annoying safeties and for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting good with that gun. It's trigger was just funky. Heck I shoot better with my tiny LCP than with the LC9!

Has anyone owned both the LC9 and CW9 or at least shot them both before? What are your conclusions? I think that would be the ultimate laugh test for me.
    Can't speak directly re: the CW9, but I have a CW45 and a CM9. Great guns - both of them. I think you will find that the LC9 is not in the same league as the CW9 (and I'm a big fan of Rugers).
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Kahr's a great weapon. You may want to look at the CM9. Basically the same gun As a CW9 with a few less aesthetics, but a significant difference in price.
    I think you have your Kahrs mixed up. The CW9 is the 'budget' model of the P9; these two are nearly identical, but the CW9 lacks the polygonal rifling of the P9, it has some less-fancy machining, and it comes with just 1 magazine, not 2.

The CM9 is a smaller version of the CW9, and is actually more expensive.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

been carrying mine for over a year. love it. accurate, light, easy to conceal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links