Review: M&P Shield vs. Springfield XDs 45 Photo Comparison

This is a discussion on Review: M&P Shield vs. Springfield XDs 45 Photo Comparison within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After our recent photo review of the S&W M&P Shield vs. Compact 9c, MandPNews.com was flooded with requests to compare the Shield with Springfield Armory’s ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MandPNewscom
  • 1 Post By ironmike86

Thread: Review: M&P Shield vs. Springfield XDs 45 Photo Comparison

Review: M&P Shield vs. Springfield XDs 45 Photo Comparison

After our recent photo review of the S&W M&P Shield vs. Compact 9c, MandPNews.com was flooded with requests to compare the Shield with Springfield Armory’s new XDs sub-compact .45 ACP, so naturally we did. One thing I noticed right off the bat was*the XDs was very nose heavy, even when loaded to capacity with its 5-rounds of 45. That’s right, with the supplied compact magazine, the XDs carries 5-rounds compared to the Shields 7 rounds. The XDs is also heavier by over 2 ounces and in this authors opinion, is a tiny gun for such a big caliber. Don’t get me wrong, I love the XDs, but I prefer the Shield for defensive carry. These photographs were taken with both the extended and regular magazines. Enjoy!

M&P shield Overall Length 6.1"
    Springfield XDS Overall Length 6.3"

M&P Shield Overall Height: 4.6"
    Springfield XDS Overall Height 4.4"

M&P Shield Frame Width: .95"
    Springfield XDS Frame Width: 1"

M&P Shield Weight: 19.0 oz
    Springfield XDS Weight: 21.5 oz.

M&P Shield Capacity: 7 Round & 8 Round
    Springfield XDS Capacity:5 + 1 RDS
    BadgerJ likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wheres the review?? I see a size comparison?? I shot both I preferred the XDS jmo
    RickyD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Wheres the review?? I see a size comparison?? I shot both I preferred the XDS jmo
    Ironmike, just a photo review comparing the two, not a shooting review per se.

Despite the size difference, I found no noticeable in carrying either one... they are both primo carry pieces, being a lefty I personally prefer the XD-S.

I have and shoot both , and much prefer the XDS. The size differance is a no brainer . there will never be a 45 as small as a 9mm. I prefer 5 plus 1 of 45 to the 9mm any day.My XDS does not feel nose heavy at all ?

I have read quite a few reviews where people say the XDs is quite a bit of recoil, but the grip texture is such that it is "okay" to shoot. I have not shot the XDs, but want to.

Thanks for the pics. I honestly would have thought the XDS was shorter from grip bottom to top of slide.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    I've shot the XDS, probably about 100 rounds or so. I was surprised that the recoil is quite tame in that little gun. I'd dare say a .38 +P in an airweight j-frame with boot grips is more snappy than the XDS.

Perhaps the XDS just fits me well, I don't know.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I have read quite a few reviews where people say the XDs is quite a bit of recoil, but the grip texture is such that it is "okay" to shoot. I have not shot the XDs, but want to.

Thanks for the pics. I honestly would have thought the XDS was shorter from grip bottom to top of slide.
    I have an XDS and I find the recoil to be very manageable for as small as it is. Most magazine reviews I've read echo my experience.

I've shot both. Both worked very well. Shot the Shield a little better, and my hand fit it better too. I bought the Shield.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Nice shots, but something is clearly wrong with the perspective on the third photo. The XDS looks to be towering over the Shield in that picture. Yet, from the stats:

M&P Shield Overall Height: 4.6"
    Springfield XDS Overall Height 4.4"

Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    Nice shots, but something is clearly wrong with the perspective on the third photo. The XDS looks to be towering over the Shield in that picture.
    He has the extended magazines in place on both guns in that third picture.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

My xds IMO has mild recoil for the caliber. I love it. Being a little nose heavy may be helping wit the recoil? Some others could probably answer that.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the photo comparison. Good job.

I have an XDs, it shoots fine. I don't own one, and have never seen a Shield........the same is true with Bigfoot. BTW, does the Shield have an awful smell? Just wondering?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links