Updated LCP anyone have one? Do you like it.

This is a discussion on Updated LCP anyone have one? Do you like it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Up dated LCP. Anyone have one? Do you like it better than the old version? Is the trigger better? How bout some pics of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Updated LCP anyone have one? Do you like it.

Updated LCP anyone have one? Do you like it.

Up dated LCP. Anyone have one? Do you like it better than the old version? Is the trigger better? How bout some pics of the differences.
    Thanks
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The slide did not lock back when the mag is empty on the last shot. This makes it effectively a 7 shot device and then a brick in a fast SD scenario. Just be aware. If your in shock, sweaty, bleeding, you may not be able to rack the slide and chamber a round at that time.

I have one, works very well. I have ran several different brands of ammo thru with no problems. I did tape off the sights and put white paint on them. It's a great front pocket weapon. I think you will like it.

I'd hold off and get a single stack 9mm with a decent trigger. It's not a bad 'bathrobe' gun, but you won't like shooting it at the range. The trigger will hurt your finger after a couple dozen shots. Might even be better served by a 6-round .38 revolver.

We have 2 LCP in the house fine weapons. They would not sell like they do if they were not

tough on the hands to shoot,
    380 ammo outragious expensive
    terrible trigger

and I put it in my front pocket when I am wearing clothes that make it hard to conceal my strong side holster 9mm Sig...

don't have to like it to carry it ,,,

We had one, my wife's very first handgun but it was stolen by a burglar last year.

The Ruger LCP is a good little pocket rocket, but hers had a failure to eject problem that I attempted to correct by grinding down some little "bumps" underneath the slide. I did not get the chance to test it out if to see if the problem was solved before it was stolen.

The LCP is Ruger's version of the Kel-Tec P3AT although a bit better in quality. Some of the downside of these type pistols will be small size, hard to hold, poor sights and limited .380 rounds in the magazine.

I did like the LCP, however it had an excessively long trigger pull and I felt like it took ages to fire. The slide did not lock open after ejecting the last spent round and that was another downside.

Upside, good quality, ease of concealment and for smaller folks, easy to handle and light recoil with the .380 round.

We now have the S&W Bodyguard .380 and I consider that to be a slightly better pistol. But the LCP continues to be favoured by many. If it serves the purpose that you want, then it will be a good choice.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

So far,i haven't had a bit of trouble with mine.That said,i've only put about 300 rds thru it.

I think the problem is manufacturers are not really trying to build the best gun they can anymore. They are trying to build 'small guns' knowing that females will buy them not realizing they have a recoil. They build long pull triggers because they know people are not careful with handling and stick their finger in the trigger guard or reholstering. They should have two versions of a gun. An 'expert' model, for which I'd be willing to pay a little more, and a beginner's model with mag release disable, long trigger pull and the slide not locking back.

The expert model would have a 4-5lb trigger, go to single-action after the first shot (like the S&W 469), slide would lock back, and better sights (three dot night sights) and be slightly bigger - sort of like Ruger tried to do with the LC9 but failed miserably with the mag disable and the terrible trigger. They could even go to the grip safety and trigger safety (like the XD). Oh, and a metal trigger.

But for some reason they build about the worst shooting .380 they can. I seriously doubt that Ruger employees carry such a piece of hard to shoot junk, with its plastic trigger.

I own one and agree with some of the negatives mentioned here. On the other hand it is so small and easy to carry in a pocket holster that it allows me to carry when I otherwise might not. I would definitely recommend adding Pearce Grip extensions to magazines as well as a Hogue grip.

Apparently, Ruger has addressed some of the concerns about the LCP's trigger and sights with the updated model. That is what the OP is asking about.

I have two of the "first generation" LCPs. I frequently carry them both in opposite pockets. With two spare mags, I have 26 rounds of .380 at my disposal, while being very comfortable and not having to worry about how I dress or about anyone noticing I am carrying. Two loaded LCPs weigh 24 oz, which is less than one loaded Glock 26.

Everyone has different tolerances - with the finger extension on the mag, I find controlling the LCP to be no issue. Recoil is not an issue - I can run through well over 150 rounds in a session. My wife, however, calls it quits after 50.

The long trigger does not bother me - I can empty mag after mag into one ragged hole at 7-10 yards, with the aid of the CT laser sight. I ran my LCP through a low light class, and shot better with it than all the other students in the class, who all were using service-sized guns. As always, the person behind the gun makes the difference.

The gun does not lock open when empty - wish it did, but then again, revolvers do not tell you when they are empty either, and lots of folks carry snubbies.

I think you will find it hard to find a better balance of firepower vs size/weight than the LCP. And Ruger service is outstanding.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My brother has an extension on his.I shot his a few times.I liked it ok,.It's really easy to conceal.I can deal with the recoil.It wouldn't be one i would shoot a lot,but,If i had the spare money,i would buy one.

Thanks
    Apparently, Ruger has addressed some of the concerns about the LCP's trigger and sights with the updated model. That is what the OP is asking about.
    Thats just what I was asking about the improved sights, trigger and mag release button. I think I can handle the recoil but I really don't care for a
    overly long when is it going to break trigger. I can even live with the point and shoot sights for close quarters get off me encounters. I was hoping that some of the people on this forum may have some experience with the up dated LCP.
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

I guess mine is the updated one. I got mine brand new Thursday and they had just gotten it in. Traded my Pf9 in for it and love it I shoot it better than I ever did the Pf9. Recoil is way less also. I shot 100 rounds through it Thursday and I could have easily shot 200 more. 100 through my Pf9 and my hand was sore for days.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I have one of the new LCPs. The trigger is much better, very Kahr like. I would never have bought one without the update.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links