Glock 19

This is a discussion on Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a 9mm plinking/ concealed carry weapon. Is this the best choice in my $600 price range?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Glock 19

Glock 19

I am looking for a 9mm plinking/ concealed carry weapon. Is this the best choice in my $600 price range?
    IsaiahM33 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Plinking? At $5,000 per round, I can't afford to plink.

Yup, my next handgun purchase will be a Glock 19.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In my opinion, the G19 is one of the best guns for cc and plinking.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Actually, the best guns for plinking are .22s. Ammo is cheap, but hard to find right now... For CC though the 19 is one of the best.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Yes. I love mine. LOVE it.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    When I bought mine, I was carrying my Walther PPS daily and just planned on the 19 being more of a 'home defense' gun.

Since then, my PPS rarely comes out of the safe, and my 19 follows me everywhere.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Love my G 19! Would not give it up. Great carry and HD gun, IMO! I use my Sig Mosquito for plinking.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

GLOCK 19 is best pistol!

My 3rd gen GLOCK 19 is my EDC, HD, competition, and favorite range gun.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Plinking? At $5,000 per round, I can't afford to plink.

Yup, my next handgun purchase will be a Glock 19.
    Just bought some 9mm a few weeks ago for $16.99 a box...

I don't have the 19 but I do love my 23C! The Compact Glock is a very nice sized pistol! Accurate and concealable!

I carry mine in a Galco FLETCH. I have yet to try it my Crossbreed.

In God and Glock we Trust

The G19 is the best all around pistol on the market not named M&P9c*. For $600, I hope you're looking at a gen4? That is too much for a gen3 but fair price for a gen4.

*I owned a gen3 G22, didn't like the grip, I own a gen4 G27 and like it a lot, the adjustable backstraps make a big difference for me.

I loved my Gen 4 19. But I prefer the 357 SIG. Ironic, as now 9 is much harder to get than 357.

So I traded my 19 for a Gen 4 32. Same platform, just chambered for a cartridge that I prefer.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Only you can determine what is best for you as we have no idea of your hand size, recoil sensitivity, preference for a 1911 type grip angle or Glock, desire for manual safety, etc.. However in your price range you should also look at the M&P line as they are more ergonomically designed. My cousin loves his Ruger SR9 that he bought for $400 for range use. It has been 100% reliable and will outlive him. For plinking I use my .22's and even then at today's prices it is no longer cheap to shoot a .22 lr. These days 9mm can run you almost a dollar a round so if you are a first time shooter and not going to carry you may want to consider a .22 instead and get the 9mm later. And yes, once you get one gun you will get others (assuming you like to shoot. If not, your gun will collect dust and it will not matter what you buy) no matter what you think.

My last two new shooter students both stated that they could only afford one gun and it had to last them for a long time and agonized over their choices. Eight months later and they both own 3 guns now. As for the Glock 19, it is a good gun. Reliable, simple to use, disassemble and a good defensive tool. Whether it fits your hand and is the best for you however, is a personal decision. As I tell my new shooters, do not let others decide what gun you should buy. You do not do that when you buy a car or clothes or most other things so do not do that with your guns. Research, try if possible and form your own opinions. DO NOT buy a gun you never held in your hand. I know too many people who order guns and then hate them because the grip is too big, gun is too heavy, slide too hard to rack, difficult to disassemble, etc.. Good luck in your quest.

One last word of advice. If you really want a more expensive gun, save up for it rather than settle. I know many guys who did not buy the gun they really wanted because it was a few hundred more and ended up spending a lot more money buying several less expensive guns and ended up with several guns that cost a heck of a lot more than what they really wanted and are still not happy. I think that many of us have been there before. For some it is a mental thing where they cannot see spending a $1000 on a gun but buy $600 guns one after the other because none of them is like the $1000 gun they want. I see this all the time and was that way myself. Heck, I am still paying off guns that I no longer own. Now I just buy the gun I really want and it is actually cheaper in the long run. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

While the glock 19 is a great gun don't rule out the kahr cw9.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Hard to argue with a Glock 19.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

GH
    I owned a G 23 for years but gave it to my son after I retired from armed security & before WI had a concealed carry law. I realize my mistake. I'd replace it but have gotten a good LEO/Security/Military deal on an M&P 40C & now I'm waiting for delivery. I wouldn't hesitate getting another Glock.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links