S&W 642 added to my CCW rotation.

This is a discussion on S&W 642 added to my CCW rotation. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a S&W 642 and was always sorry it was gone, found a clean 642-2 today and shot it a few rounds. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S&W 642 added to my CCW rotation.

I had a S&W 642 and was always sorry it was gone, found a clean 642-2 today and shot it a few rounds. I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo, I got 150 rounds of Federal 158 lead rn with the 642.

I carry in the pocket or IWB appendix with a clip-draw, I really think the J-Frame is the easiest to carry, I had the Ruger LCR IN 357 it was a great shooter but larger than the 642 do mostly to the grip.

Great gun will serve you well

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I had a S&W 642 and was always sorry it was gone, found a clean 642-2 today and shot it a few rounds. I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo, I got 150 rounds of Federal 158 lead rn with the 642.

I carry in the pocket or IWB appendix with a clip-draw, I really think the J-Frame is the easiest to carry, I had the Ruger LCR IN 357 it was a great shooter but larger than the 642 do mostly to the grip.
    I have had both the 642 and LCR several times. While you are correct about the grip on the LCR, adding a Crimson Trace grip solves that problem, provides a laser for night time or other use, and gives the benefit of the LCR smoother and lighter trigger as well as lower weight without costing an arm and a leg like my Airlite did. I am a long time S&W guy but the LCR is now my carry snubnose. In fact, I own 2 of them. Used to be three but I traded it in to get an XDs which is now my big caliber pocket gun. :) The 642 is a classic and remains as S&W's biggest sellers despite all the take about semi autos over revolvers. I plan on getting another one as soon as I can find one for sale but until then, my LCR's are sweet guns to pocket and belt carry once you change the grips. BTW, you can put smaller grips on them without spending the money for CT grips.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Everybody should have at least one J-Frame.

I love my 642! It is in my carry rotation as well. I prefer it in a pocket holster, but sometimes carry it in an ankle rig when I wear scrubs. Enjoy yours!

Anyone lucky to CCW a j-frame is...lucky enough. Well Done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have one in the front right hand pocket right now.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

That buffalo bore ammo you have is great SD ammo. It's what's in my 642 in my pocket as I type.

The J fit my hand and pocket like few other guns. My LCPs have occasional issues. My 442 so far is a 100% reliable. There is something to be said about five for sure in a convenient package.

I will buy a 642 when the prices are normal again.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo
    If you can shoot those through your 642, then you're a better man than I. I put 2 rounds of that stuff downrange after I got my new 642 and promptly set the gun down. I had split the webbing open on my thumb with only 2 shots. I picked up some softer shooting +P Gold Dots for the rest of the trip and it was much better.

I keep the Buffalo Bore loaded in my steel framed Rossi. Doesn't bite near as hard on that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    If you can shoot those through your 642, then you're a better man than I. I put 2 rounds of that stuff downrange after I got my new 642 and promptly set the gun down. I had split the webbing open on my thumb with only 2 shots. I picked up some softer shooting +P Gold Dots for the rest of the trip and it was much better.

I keep the Buffalo Bore loaded in my steel framed Rossi. Doesn't bite near as hard on that gun.
    go to your local sports store and buy gel bike gloves. Use that for gun practice. My wife can go through a box of 38 special now. Now if SHTF, a cut web is the least of your worries...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Any pictures of this beauty?

Great score. J Frames are nice.

I have a 442 incoming and I will likely use the Apex Tactical Spring kit.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Your Buffalo Bore ammo is just fine. The only upgrade I would suggest is Speer short barrel
    Detail Page for Part # 23921

CDR- I put the Apex kit in mine. Some polishing on the rebound slide, and there is a noticeable improvement. Well worth the time and money.

You have great SD rounds already.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links