Walther PPX First Impressions

This is a discussion on Walther PPX First Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the opportunity to handle a Walther PPX at a store today, I have seen and read much about it on TV and online ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Walther PPX First Impressions

Walther PPX First Impressions

I had the opportunity to handle a Walther PPX at a store today, I have seen and read much about it on TV and online but hadn't seen one in person before. In short, I'm not impressed at all and here's why:

1) It is huge, it is a full size 9mm double stack (16+1) but compared to an equivalent G17 or M&P9 it is much larger feeling in overall dimensions and shape. It is very 'blocky' feeling, even next to a Glock. I could not possibly see carrying it concealed in anything other than a shoulder rig. How they only managed to fit a 4in barrel into something that large is beyond me.

2) The grip is terrible, both in texture and in size. It feels about as large as a G20/21 and has this weird texture that feels like soggy sandpaper. Also, there is no interchangeable backstrap, what you see is what you get. The two sales people there were one male and one female, they both agreed that it is not at all female friendly. I have fairly large hands and it even was big to me.

3) It is right handed only, no ambi anything (slide release, mag release etc.). Even for a righty like me, the slide release is very hard to get a thumb grip on.

4) The finish overall feels really cheap, almost like an airsoft gun. The polymer is very flimsy feeling and the general build quality just doesn't seem too sturdy. The magazines are plastic and feel like if you stepped on one it would crack. The price ($439) is a result of this I think.

As you can see, I was pretty underwhelmed overall with this product. I generally like Walther products and was very interested to see their entry into the full size polymer rail equipped market, but they really screwed this one. The only nice things I really can say are that there is nothing wrong with the sights (standard 3 dot) and it is pretty light. Safe to say, I won't be buying one, ever.

2. Remove Ads

Which revolver, handgun is right is a personal choice for all of us....... All you can do is hopefully find the weapon for you........ Good luck.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Which revolver, handgun is right is a personal choice for all of us....... All you can do is hopefully find the weapon for you........ Good luck.........
    Absolutely, you are totally correct. I'm not in the market for a handgun, I have plenty that I like, I was just giving my critique of a new to market weapon that has gotten a lot of press and I got to handle in person for the first time. I don't have any XD's because I don't like grip safeties, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, they just aren't for me. In the case of the PPX, I think it has some significant flaws and shortcomings and don't think it will be a commercial success.

The PPQ M2 is their better full sized gun with a nice light trigger for competition or the range. When it comes to guns, you often do get what you pay for. So many of my new shooters buy inexpensive guns not knowing why they are inexpensive and then end up buying another inexpensive gun since they already spent a lot on their first gun and finally buy a third inexpensive gun and still are not happy and have spend much more than if they just spent a little more to begin with. I think we all have been there. I know that I have. Now I just buy Sig, HK, Ruger, S&W, and FNH. My LGS knows that I am not interested in anything else other than a special use gun like an NAA mini revolver or my new Micro Desert Eagle .380 which is so short that it fits in so many places and makes a good hideout or backup gun. Plus it is a good shooter.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    The PPQ M2 is their better full sized gun with a nice light trigger for competition or the range. When it comes to guns, you often do get what you pay for. So many of my new shooters buy inexpensive guns not knowing why they are inexpensive and then end up buying another inexpensive gun since they already spent a lot on their first gun and finally buy a third inexpensive gun and still are not happy and have spend much more than if they just spent a little more to begin with. I think we all have been there. I know that I have. Now I just buy Sig, HK, Ruger, S&W, and FNH. My LGS knows that I am not interested in anything else other than a special use gun like an NAA mini revolver or my new Micro Desert Eagle .380 which is so short that it fits in so many places and makes a good hideout or backup gun. Plus it is a good shooter.
    I fell into that when I bought a Taurus as my first dedicated CC gun, it now resides in it's case in my closet. I bought another cheap gun (PF9) and got lucky that it is reliable, in hindsight I wish I had gotten an LC9, they are generally better made overall. I've since graduated to quality guns like Glock, S&W and HK, yea you do get what you pay for!

I think some of the PPX shortcomings are a result of their efforts to keep the price down, their ads really stress an affordable price as a selling point. The PPQ and PPS are solid guns and well designed, but the PPX just seems like it missed the mark.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The PPX is Walther's entry level handgun and it's main selling point is its very low price for a German firearm. I think it is a great handgun for someone on a tight budget that is seeking a handgun for home defense as the design is very nice, the DAO trigger is very soft, and it's made in Germany. Obviously, if you compare it to a Sig Sauer, HK, Glock, or FNH it is not up to par, but I think it can hold its own against more affordable brands like Ruger, S&W, Kahr, Kel Tec, Taurus, etc.. Some people say they look like a Hi Point, but I think that's absolutely ridiculous. It is a beautiful, accurate and reliable handgun made by Walther in Ulm, Germany.

I have the Walther P99AS in 9mm and I can't say enough good things about Walther firearms. I just wish I could find a PPS here in Costa Rica!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    First thought when I googled it, to see what it looked like was: A polyframe Hi-Point.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links