Bad install

This is a discussion on Bad install within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought some big dot night sights from a lgs and they said the install would be free. I thought they would have good tools. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bad install

Bad install

I bought some big dot night sights from a lgs and they said the install would be free. I thought they would have good tools. I heard pounding so looked in the area it was being done and seen him tapping away. I wanted to tell him to at least put tape on the gun to protect the stainless but didn't think it was right telling them how to do his work. If I knew he didn't have the tool to push it out I would have did it myself. We I get the gun (xds) back it has a small but noticeable scratch. When I told them about it they said labor would be free which they had already said. They could tell that I was not happy but what could I do. I left but will never go back or recommend them. What would you have done? It is getting to the point that I will do all repairs on everything myself cause don't trust anyone.

2. Remove Ads

I would have asked for them to rectify this. Polish the scratch out to my satisfaction or replace the gun with a new one. Just because the labor was free doesn't mean you should accept sub par work, let alone damage to your firearm!

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    We I get the gun (xds) back it has a small but noticeable scratch. When I told them about it they said labor would be free which they had already said.
    Free labor. Free scratch, apparently.

I've had work done a few times, on various guns. Occasionally, a minor scuffing or scratch occurs. Of course, it should be perfect, in an ideal world. But metalworking isn't an exact science, not at the level of "freebie" installs. It's one of the reasons top gunsmiths don't charge peanuts for working on customer products. Doing it perfectly can be an expensive endeavor.

Uncertain what (if any) jigs and special tools this installer used, on your gun, whether any precautions typical for such jobs failed to get used in that install.

Might want to explore options with them on correction of the scratching. If they can clearly identify how they'll clean it up, perhaps that's a way to go. If they won't help (given the "free" facial situation), you might explore another (quality) gunsmith's services.

If only a small scratch, perhaps it'll be one of the few types that'll "just buff out." Stranger things have happened.

Got pics of the scratches?
    HotGuns likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I think I would start with the dealer that did the work. The XD series can be a pain to change the sights on unless you have the right tools, from my understanding. I'll second the motion for some pics.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I used the same local gunsmith for many years for all types of handgun and long gun repairs and modifications and never a scratch, he was a well trained, experienced professional. He was not an on line/mail order wanna be trained gunsmith/sales clerk that are employed by most LGS's. I will admit that there are some shops with well qualified gunsmiths but very few and none that I know of in my local area.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

The work wasn't free. I'm sure there was enough mark up in the sights you bought to warrant "free installation" There is something called a bailment contract that exists when you surrender something you own to someone else for safe keeping or in this case, work to be done. That bailment says, and you need to read about it where you live, that you should have a reasonable expectation that your property will be returned to you in the same condition that it was surrendered in. In this case, the only change to your gun is the installation of new sights and no new scratches. I would have said something. Good luck

I installed Big Dot 24/7 sights on my G26. The sights came with a plastic punch to drift the sights off. Apparently your gunsmith decided not to use his.

The exact reason why I decided against having night sights put on my Gen4 Glock22.

Sent in my PX4 Storm slide with Trijicons back to the factory for repair/replacement. The GS who did the work had an awful time to get the sights on, with a lot of whacking, etc., and the upshot was that two of the three dots didn't glow that night. Factory blamed the gunsmith right off,and now its been four weeks with my Beretta and it could be another four weeks before the slide is returned to me! The gunsmith said that never happened to him before--- I believe him--- and that the Trijicons just didn't want to go on properly. He has done other work for me and, I feel, he's an excellent gunsmith. So, here I wait and hope the cost won't be too great--- factory said it wouldn't. By the way, the Trijicon folks ( repair dept.) are hard as heck to get to answer an E-Mail or a phone call: you have to literally badger the clerk who eventually answers the phone to get anywhere with them. What a pain!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I cant do any gunsmithing. I always look for the best reviews on smithing in these forums and reviewing online companys. Actions by T was one of my favorites but Mr Jacobson is getting on in years an just to busy to be timely. I have used Gemini custom the last couple of jobs I needed done. Mark is a artist the work is exceptionable. They did my Mod 60 complete action job ported bead blasted big dot on front. I also picked up some grips for the 60 and my SP. right now they have my wifes 642 for complete job. They are busy but worth the wait. image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    The exact reason why I decided against having night sights put on my Gen4 Glock22.
    Just find a Glock Armorer or gunsmith that knows what they are doing. Its kind of silly to deprive yourself of such a great addition to your pistol for fear of a scratch. You may not want to shoot it or carry it ever, may get dirty or holster wear.
    MJB_17, mrm, miller_man and 1 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Having the proper tools for the job and the skills to correctly use them is not cheap.

Since your labor was free, there isnt much you can do about a scratch except to refinish it or buff it out.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Easiest to learn how to change sights yourself if theres nobody in your area that can. You can easily make a "generic" sight tool to push them out. Thats what I did. Found stuff on You tube. I would be pissed I can screw it up on my own if i wanted to

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    Just find a Glock Armorer or gunsmith that knows what they are doing. Its kind of silly to deprive yourself of such a great addition to your pistol for fear of a scratch. You may not want to shoot it or carry it ever, may get dirty or holster wear.
    Yea I agree, I've only had sights mounted or replaced by the factory (S&W, Taurus) and would only trust a third part to do so if I knew he/she were a certified armorer for the weapon concerned and had the right tools.

As far as your situation, you're kind of up a creek I'm afraid. I guess you could go back and complain but I don't see that going far since you didn't pay anything for the work. Alternatively, you could waterboard him until he gives in and fixes it.

I am not sure how to post pics. It looks like he hit the gun lightly. It is a little dent in the metal next to the sight. I don't see how that could be buffed out. I build cars, bikes, and can weld and fab metal for streetrods so I could have probably did it myself but they offered to do it so I thought why not. I did research the job and viewed several video's. Alot of them used duct tape to protect the gun. It isn't too bad but like one guy said, if it gets damaged by me that is one thing but when someone else does it, it upsets me. I will just live with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links