Beretta Nano 300 round test

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano 300 round test within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a new Beretta Nano 9mm; it came with one 8 round extended magazine and one flush fitting six round magazine. The Nano ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus

Thread: Beretta Nano 300 round test

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

I recently bought a new Beretta Nano 9mm; it came with one 8 round extended magazine and one flush fitting six round magazine. The Nano does not have an internal lock or magazine disconnect, if it did I wouldn’t have bought it. I also bought night sights and an extra six round magazine.

First thing I did was check sight adjustment; I shot 25 rounds of 124 gr. Winchester Ranger T and made a minor adjustment to the rear sight. I subsequently replaced the original sights with night sights, taking care to put the rear in the adjusted spot, and applied some Loc-Tite.

Next shooting session was 200 rounds of four different types of ammunition, 50 rounds each.

Third session was 50 rounds of my handload (a Hornady 115 gr. XTP) and another 25 rounds of the Federal 124 gr. HST +P bringing the total rounds to 300.

Chrono results, in ascending level of KE, average for 5 shots:
    Federal 124 gr. Hydra Shok @ 991 fps / 270# KE
    Federal 147 gr. JHP @ 914 fps / 273# KE
    Hornady 115 gr. XTP handload @1,110 fps / 315# KE
    Federal 124 gr. HST +P @ 1,144 fps / 360# KE
    Winchester 124 gr. Ranger T +P @ 1,184 fps / 386# KE

Ammunition performance in water filled jugs, average recovered diameter:
    Federal 124 gr. Hydra Shok- back of 4th jug / ~.53
    Hornady 115 gr. XTP handload- back of 3rd jug / ~.61
    Federal 124 gr. HST +P- back of 3rd jug / ~.68
    Winchester Ranger T 124 gr. +P- back of 3rd jug / ~.74

Ejection of brass:
    Federal 124 gr. Hydra Shok: acceptable ejection pattern, majority at 3-4 o’clock
    Federal 147 gr. JHP: erratic ejection pattern, some thrown close to or over my head
    Hornady 115 gr. handload: very good ejection pattern, consistently about 3-4 o’clock
    Federal 124 gr. HST +P: very good ejection pattern, consistently at 3-4 o’clock
    Winchester 124 gr. Ranger T +P: erratic ejection pattern, some thrown close to or over my head

I bought the Nano as a potential pocket carry pistol. I don’t like the look of the Nano with the extended eight round magazine inserted and it would eliminate pocket carry; however, the eight round magazine is useful as a spare.
    My choice in ammo is the Federal 124 gr. HST +P for the most energy and consistent ejection of brass, with my own handload as an acceptable (to me) alternate.

Summary, I shot 300 rounds of various ammo through my Nano with no malfunctions.

Nano1.jpg

Here is the Nano with a J frame for size comparison.

NanoandJframe.jpg

NanovsJframe.jpg
    vilecanards likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Sounds like a good trip to the range
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Thanks for the report. My brother in law has a Nano and I really like how well it shoots.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Thanks for the report.

VIP Member
    Nice report. Hope the nano works out for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm up to about 800 rounds through my Nano with no malfunctions. I'd have 2000 rounds through it by now if I could find ammo more easily and if that ammo wasn't $.40 round!
    CDW4ME likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I'm up to about 800 rounds through my Nano with no malfunctions. I'd have 2000 rounds through it by now if I could find ammo more easily and if that ammo wasn't $.40 round!

Finding 9mm HP for .40 a round would be a feat right now.

A local hardware store recently had a case full of American Eagle 9mm (115 gr FMJ) for $20/50. Since that's not a great price I "only" bought 5 boxes. But last time I was there even that was gone. Been pretty hard to get any but I'm finding it here and there. The LGS has generally had some for around $18/50. They'll only sell it if you're shooting there, so that keeps the hoarders off it. My "stash" is right around 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 1,100 rounds of .45 ACP, and if I don't burn it up too fast I can generally break even. At least my brass supply is getting better.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Sponsored Links