I need opinions on conceal and carry guns.

This is a discussion on I need opinions on conceal and carry guns. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a good, small revolver that will pack some punch and conceal well. I already have a XD SC 9mm and it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need opinions on conceal and carry guns.

I need opinions on conceal and carry guns.

I am looking for a good, small revolver that will pack some punch and conceal well. I already have a XD SC 9mm and it feels bulky. I have a new IWB holster ordered and I have heard that helps a lot. I am looking at a Kahr PM40 also.

I have heard and read that revolvers have less that can fail when the going gets tough. I would like to combo a nice revolver with a Kahr on the ankle or something.

What does everybody think?

Matt

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have carried a XD-40sc on and off since they first came out (usual carry is a gov't 1911) and a good holster makes all the difference in the world! I use a Kramer MSP paddle or an Alessi CQC/S, both are awesome and make carrying the XD subcompact a pleasure but make sure you have a good belt as these are somewhat bulky guns. Don't look for another gun, get the carrry system that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    I have carried a XD-40sc on and off since they first came out (usual carry is a gov't 1911) and a good holster makes all the difference in the world! I use a Kramer MSP paddle or an Alessi CQC/S, both are awesome and make carrying the XD subcompact a pleasure but make sure you have a good belt as these are somewhat bulky guns. Don't look for another gun, get the carrry system that works for you!
    I agree......unles you just want to buy another gun just to buy one.......
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Ron
    If you do decide to buy another gun, I highly recommend the S&W 642 revolver. It is light weight in a Mica pocket holster. It does not print, and I carry it all day without even realizing it is in my pocket.

Ron

A Kahr would be a good choice for a thin, easy to conceal auto. Personally, I find a compact or sub-compact 1911 to be to best for me. As stated above, no gun will be easy to conceal or comfortable without a good holster. If you are pleased with your XD, keep trying holsters until you get the right one. I know it can get expensive, but in the long run it is worth it. Not to mention some one will buy the others on ebay for sure.

You Already Have...

Quote Originally Posted by brauchma View Post
    I am looking for a good, small revolver that will pack some punch and conceal well. I already have a XD SC 9mm and it feels bulky. I have a new IWB holster ordered and I have heard that helps a lot. I am looking at a Kahr PM40 also.

I have heard and read that revolvers have less that can fail when the going gets tough. I would like to combo a nice revolver with a Kahr on the ankle or something.

What does everybody think?

Matt
    a gun with a punch, you just need to make it more comfortable...and I believe you'll find that comfort with a good IWB holster.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If you do decide to buy another gun, I highly recommend the S&W 642 revolver. It is light weight in a Mica pocket holster. It does not print, and I carry it all day without even realizing it is in my pocket.

Ron
    Ron is correct. The S&W 642 is light enough to pocket carry all day. It is a great gun. As a reference point, go to the Smith and Wesson forum and read the thread called the 642 Club. You will see how many people actually carry the gun.

If you want to shoot the .357 round in a heavier revolver, there are plenty of good choices. Some that come to mind are the S&W 640 and the Ruger SP101. I actually carry a 642 in my weak side pocket and a Ruger SP101 in a strong side IWB holster.

Good luck with your decision. By the way, the XD is a great gun. I would research the Kahr reliability issues before making a purchase. It seems like there are some good ones, and some not so good ones.

whw

Taurus and S&W both make good small revolvers. That actually what I'm looking at for my next gun. I am either going to get a 351PD, 340PD, or 360PD. I had a Kahr PM40 and it was ok. I have decided that for a pocket guns I am going to go with 2" snubbies and swear off pocket autos. I have read too many negative things about every pocket auto. I have limited funds and won't take the risk any more.

Also a real gun belt and a quality holster will make a world of difference in concealability and comfort. I have a belt from kdholster.com and it is great. The XD SC will be a great carry gun. You just need a good iwb. Because it is so short in height and length you might be able to get away with an owb and only change your dress a little.

For a CCW I started with a G26,then a Kel-tec jammo-mattic,then a SW642 which I found to be a perfect pocketgun. I liked it so much that I traded my G-26 and SW642 on a 340pd SW. I thought if I,m gonna carry this type of weapon I will have to have the best. THen missing the G26 I decided that I would get the G19 for sometimes CCW and to use as a house gun,range gun. MY gun buying days are gone and I like to keep the number down to work guns and not safe gueens. There tools for me in my old age of 53 and I got the have to have everything out of my system over the years. K.I.S.S. works for me.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I like the S&W 642. Is it comfortable in your pocket?

I will be keeping my XD. I can't wait to get my holster. I ordered it from http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/ because a friend had one and I tried it on. I found out about this forum from the website also.

Matt

Lead Moderator
    As said, a good holster makes a world of difference. get what ya want, but a semi auto is as good a wheel gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by brauchma View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I like the S&W 642. Is it comfortable in your pocket?

I will be keeping my XD. I can't wait to get my holster. I ordered it from http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/ because a friend had one and I tried it on. I found out about this forum from the website also.

Matt
    Gary Brommeland is a master at his craft. You will be pleased.

whw

find a old model s&w 36 and/or 60. hard to beat a s&w wheel gun.

Senior Moderator
    Since everyone is mentioning S&W I'll recomend the Taurus 605. You need to get a new one or a used one made since '98 to equal the quality of S&W. I've had no problems with my 605. I would stay away from a Rossi unless you want to do some trigger work. Taurus has bought them so hopefully their quality will improve.

Another vote for the S&W 642, which you should be able to get for about $400 out the door. More if you go with the Crimson Trace grips, which I recommend. We paid about $540 for my wife's 642 with CT grips.

She has it in a carry purse or pocket holster. I agree with the suggestions for a pocket holster from Bob Mika, great quality and fast service for just $16... http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Good luck...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links