Glock 26/27 light enough for Summer carry?

This is a discussion on Glock 26/27 light enough for Summer carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (Not another "Woe is me what gun should I buy?!" thread) oh well. Here's my situation. I own a Glock 19. Love it. Sometimes I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Glock 26/27 light enough for Summer carry?

(Not another "Woe is me what gun should I buy?!" thread) oh well.

Here's my situation.

I own a Glock 19. Love it. Sometimes I wish it were a G23 but it's fantastic.

However, it sometimes feels harder to conceal in the Summer plus it feels too heavy for comfort. My question is, is the Glock 26/27 really light enough to make a difference and warrant another purchase? While you can go to a gun range and shoot various guns, it's harder to get an idea for wearing them. Does anyone else have a G19/23 and G26/27 and can tell how practical the difference is?

Note: I'm 6'1" and about 165 lbs.

I'm probably going to buy from gtdist.com since I can get their law enforcement discount on a glock for $390. But they also have Ruger LCPs for $280. Tempting.

Much appreciated everyone.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    For me the 27 is fine to carry in the summer. I believe the key is a decent holster and belt. I'm currently trying to find a new IWB holster for my 27.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I find the shorter grip of the G26/27 to be the main reason it carries so well. I loved my G27 when I had it. My G23 and Kimber Ultra are my current go to carry guns with the warmer weather. Likely stick to the Kimber for the summer because it is the same weight as the G23 (loaded) and has a shorter grip and thinner profile. I even sprung for a $185 custom holster for it.

All that said, the G26 is a great platform. One word of caution, if you plan on using pinky extensions for it, just stick with the G19. The 26/27 loses all its advantages once you stick those extenders on them.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My G27 is slightly easier to carry then my G23. But I got a Xds to carry for hot summer. G27 is still easy to carry I just wanted something thinner. So IMO if I was going from a G19 that I already had and wanted something for summer. I would go smaller then a G26. the 3/4 taller and longer will make a difference with tee shirts ect if you just want to stay with Glock. JMO

The 26/27 are very easy to conceal. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 27.

In God and Glock we Trust

Go for it. The G26 is way easier to conceal under t-shirts for me. For everything else I still carry the 19. Sure there may be smaller or slimmer options but the 26 will still take your spare 9mm Glock mags and should fit in most of your holsters. It is nice to switch between guns but still have that same comfortable feeling since they are in the same family.

I carried one for a year or so (26) but went back to snubs. Just personal preference i shoot better draw better. Nothing against the 26 good weapon i still use my g17 for bedside I like the rail for a light and better night sights. I just cc snubs for the comfort and because i am on target faster.

Without a doubt. I'm an inch shorter and 10lbs heavier and that would be no problem and can conceal a G26-sized pistol just fine in shorts under a polo/t-shirt/short-sleeve button down. I now carry a P250SC in a hybrid IWB year-round, and it's nearly identical to the G26 in size if you stack them side-by-side.

Yeah. I've carried my wife's Ruger LCP from time to time. Pocket carry, and it's nice. My Crossbreed Supertuck allows more comfort with a G19 than I would have expected.

Sidenote: call me crazy, but I'd probably go for a G27 over G26. Yes, the 26 would allow me to use the same ammo/mags, but I don't have a .40 yet and this way I'd have the CC option of carrying a larger caliber.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Have you considered getting your Glock 19 grip chopped so it can accept Glock 26 mags? Then you can carry the larger Glock 19 mag with grip section attatched as backup.
    Glock 19 to Glock 26 Conversion - YouTube
    sparkykb likes this.

For what it's worth: My first semi-auto was a Glock 19. Loved it. However, I wanted something smaller, so I picked up a G26. Shorter grip, slightly shorter barrel, but all in all, seemed much easier to Conceal.

However, I opted for the increased firepower of the G19 mags with the grip adapters, so for all intents and purposes, my G26 is a G19, but with a slightly shorter barrel.

I sold the G19 and picked up a full-size G17 to partner with my G26. Now I have a choice of a full-size or an easier carry compact. If I really wanted to, I could use the standard 10-round mags and have a shorter grip, but I really don't worry about it, and prefer the better grip on the adapter-installed 15-round magazine in the G26. I don't think there is a reason for owning a G19 since the G26 offers you essentially the same weapon dimensions, with the bonus of going smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm Lassiter View Post
    Yeah. I've carried my wife's Ruger LCP from time to time. Pocket carry, and it's nice. My Crossbreed Supertuck allows more comfort with a G19 than I would have expected.

Sidenote: call me crazy, but I'd probably go for a G27 over G26. Yes, the 26 would allow me to use the same ammo/mags, but I don't have a .40 yet and this way I'd have the CC option of carrying a larger caliber.
    Have you shot the G27 or G23?? Alot of ppl don't like the recoil of the 40sw. The G27 is a beast. But thats been my EDC for ~18yrs. I'm in a different camp. Instead of making the G26/27 larger and carrying a full size I would rather have the G19/23 and have the smallest slim 9mm or larger I could carry when it was needed. But when I did EDC the G27 It worked most the time. If I could only have one to EDC that would be the one. What ever your choice I'm sure your gonna enjoy it.

Regarding weight, I have established a limit of 22.0 ounces for off-duty carry. Glocks were my favorite before I retired from LE. G22 uniform, G23 suit.

For hot summer days & being retired (6' 01", 252 lbs) I like a J frame revolver in 38 Spec +P or .357 Mag. Sometimes its the CH Arms "On Duty" 5 shot @ 13 oz, other times its the Kel-Tec PF9, 6+1, with Corbon Pow'Rball @ 12 ounces.

Glocks are just too thick, for me, to conceal well... and a bit heavy. But, I carried a brick for 34 years, on duty and off. Now, I can ease-up a bit.

My favorite is my Colt Defender .45acp, unless its too flippin' hot outside. All my carry ammo is between 400-500 ft-lbs of energy with the bullets to 'optimize' the energy transfer.

Most of my ammo is the stuff my depts. wouldn't let me carry... od hadn't been invented yet.

Big difference between the two. My wife has the 26, and I have the 23. Much easier to carry the 26 and now that the weather is getting warm if she does not have it on her I will carry it over the 23. I'm a smaller framed person 150 wet and with a tee shirt and iwb holster it tucks away nicely. A good belt and holster will make a huge difference with weight distribution.

When I had my M&P 9c I always carried my Ruger LCP on warm-hot days. I couldn't deal with the extra bulk in the heat. Ugh

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links