This is a discussion on Traded my M&P 45 Compact for an XD(M) 45 Compact, 3.8-inch barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought the M&P two years ago and it has been my main carry gun. But..... I already have an XD 45 Compact and an ...
I bought the M&P two years ago and it has been my main carry gun. But..... I already have an XD 45 Compact and an XDS, plus two Springfield 1911's. I guess you could say I'm a Springfield fan. There are a few reasons why I made the trade:
1. The Springfield is a bit lighter, slightly shorter in barrel length, and slightly shorter in height.
2. The M&P mags only hold eight rounds, while the XD(M) mags hold nine (my old XD Compact holds 10).
3. The XD(M)M comes with a 13-round spare mag with grip extension. The M&P doesn't.
4. When topping off the M&P (loading 8+1), you have to really slam the mag home to get it to seat. I've never had this problem on an XD.
5. I ordered the M&P with the optional thumb safety. I thought I wanted it because I'm traditionally a "1911 guy." But I've found that a) I don't like the M&P's thumb safety because it feels vague, and b) I think I like the XD(M)'s grip safety better, because if the pistol is in my hand, it's ready to fire, as opposed to remembering to click it off on the M&P.
Don't get me wrong, the M&P is a fine pistol. Mine ran flawlessly with the modest number of rounds I put across it, maybe 400-500. But I feel like I'm more "back home" with the Springfield.
"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."