Awesome Range Day...Pics Included

This is a discussion on Awesome Range Day...Pics Included within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After scoring a large (300rds) amount of 9mm range ammo yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the great weather (70s, sunny/dry) and head to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MJB_17

Thread: Awesome Range Day...Pics Included

After scoring a large (300rds) amount of 9mm range ammo yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the great weather (70s, sunny/dry) and head to my favorite outdoor range. Took all my 9mm guns and my new HK in 357, left the G27 home, wasn't feeling .40 today. First thing I did was fire 50 rounds each from my M&Ps (fullsize and compact) from two of the CHL distances (7 and 15 yards), I didn't bother with 3 yards since that is a waste of time. I was using standard silhouette targets with the 5,4,3 scoring rubric where the max possible score is 250. With the 9c I scored a 232 and with the full size a perfect 250! I'm generally a pretty good, but not great shooter, so a perfect score was an awesome result.

Next up was 25 rounds from my PF9. I shot all these at 7 yards, I can't hit a damn thing beyond about 10 yards with that gun. I noticed this morning that the barrel on my PF9 is rusting severely after only having it 6 months, a call to Kel Tec CS is forthcoming, I'll update on that at a later time. I didn't bother scoring the target, but there appeared to be roughly 25 holes on the paper.

Last gun up was the new HK P2000SK in 357 Sig. I shot 75 rounds total, 25 125gr Gold Dots (my carry ammo) and 50 125gr WWB. I shot the Gold Dots out of the two factory mags and then used the two USPc mags I got this week for the FMJ for convenience sake, I never intend to carry the larger mags, I bought them for range use just like this, having to reload every 18 rounds is a PITA. The HK functioned perfectly, the only issue I'm having is that I'm still shooting to the left. Not low left, just plain left. It isn't horrible but you can clearly see the trend, any suggestions on this?

After the scored phase, it was time to sling lead! Specifically, with the 9c, my round count on it is still only a few hundred so I wanted to get that up. Yes, the round count on the HK is very low also, but given that I bought 100 round of 9mm for $21 and 50 of 357 for close to $30, I'm not about to blast away $100 of 357 ammo in 20 minutes. I fired 175 rounds of WWB 9mm from the M&P using 12 (2), 17 (2) and a 23 round magazines. Not a single malfunction, the gun is filthy right now, but it works fine. Tomorrow night I am going to sit down and strip and clean all of them thoroughly (the guns that is, I'm not going to get naked and clean them, I don't think).

Now, the icing on the cake. After I finished up, I was chatting with two of the RSO's who I know well. I haven't mentioned this here before, but I collect casings of all different calibers, today I added a .50AE and a 45-70 (massive) thanks to them. While I was hanging around, two men with numerous bags started setting up on their gear, out came (among others) an HK 416 with a 10.5in barrel and a 3 position selector and EOTech, an FN FAL with a suppressor, a longer barreled AR with a suppressor and an FN FNX45 with a red dot and suppressor. We got to talking and they mentioned that they are FFL holders and the HK is a LE dealer sample, one of them then asked if I had ever fired a suppressed pistol (I haven't). He loaded up a mag for the FNX and handed it to me, awesome doesn't quite say it! The feel and experience is very unique, it has very little recoil and doesn't even sound like a gunshot, it sounds more like a pneumatic nail gun. The red dot was zeroed for use with the suppressor and I shot a decently tight group at 15 yards with it. I mentioned that I have a full size M&P and they told me that if I ever get a threaded barrel to let them know (we exchanged info). The FNX45 (yes, I asked permission of the owner to post it)

image (3).jpg

All in all, a great range trip, well worth the headache I had for most of the evening! Due to the filthy nature of my guns now, tomorrow's carry choice comes down to Glock, Glock or Glock, but I think I can deal with that.
    dV8r likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Sounds like a great range trip indeed! I have never shot the FNX45 but would love to....suppressed or unsuppressed! Please do report back as to how KelTec CS treats you.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

It's great when you run across people at the range who have a vast array of cool weapons to gawk at, and they also happen to be generous enough to let you try them out. I got lucky once was able to shoot a FA MP-5 and a suppressed MAC 10 once just by being in the right place at the right time. It sure does make for an interesting experience.

Glad you had fun!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Sounds like a really fun range day.

I have an FNX45T, but no suppressor or RMR sight. I do plan to get an RMR02 for it. The suppressor is just plain too expensive just for giggles, and I don't really have a need for one. But I'd live to shoot the gun with one on it just to see how it feels. The FNX45T is a heck of a good pistol - 15+1 of 230g Speer Gold Dot in the bedside safe with a rail light on it gives me a warm feeling just thinking about it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

It really was great. I posted a thread over in the general firearms forum about getting a can for my M&P. I see it is doable, but right now I really can't justify the cost. In the past month, I have spent close to $1500 on my HK and ammo/mags for it, I earn good money but I do have limits. Right now, I'm thinking about getting a threaded barrel for the M&P and then looking at getting a can in the next year or so. I'm in the same boat as Fitch, I have no real need for one, I just want one!

Update on the PF9: called Kel Tec in Florida, explained the issue, they said I can send them the barrel and they will probably swap it out for a new one. The rust isn't horrible but it is ugly and seems to be growing so I'll probably just do that and see what they do, they said about 2 weeks turnaround time.

Sounds like a good trip! Love getting the opportunity to talk shop, let alone shoot some cool guns. Glad it went well!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Sponsored Links