Colt Defender 45/9mm

Colt Defender 45/9mm

This is a discussion on Colt Defender 45/9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone on here carry a colt defender in either 45 or 9mm? I am very curious how you like it, how its holding up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Colt Defender 45/9mm

Colt Defender 45/9mm

Does anyone on here carry a colt defender in either 45 or 9mm? I am very curious how you like it, how its holding up to daily carry, concealability, accuarcy, weight etc. I do like my SR40c and can carry either the 9rnd or 15rnd mag, but I traded in my 38 snub nose, and my wife carries my Bersa Thunder 380 (even ordered pink grips for it to make it "hers" now but she's shooting and carrying it so I sure as hell wont complain there), so I dont have another carry gun that I can interchange.

VIP Member
    I have a Defender/.45 and have carried it. Big gun, little package. Mine has been reliable and accurate. Having said that, I've switched to a Sig 229 SAS .40.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    I had both and carried both. I love the look and feel of the Defender but neither the 9mm and .45 acp were 100% reliable. The .45 was much better than the 9mm and benefited from a good ramp polishing although they tell you not to remove the protective coating. However, the bullets hitting the feed ramp removed the protective coating anyway. I also owned the New Agent in 9mm but eventually did not like the trench sight system Good for close up work but not so good for distance. My experience with 3" barrel 1911 guns is that a 1911 is best the way it was originally designed. These guns were ammo fussy and not 100% reliable. I really do not care why they jammed and whose fault it was as some do because a jam is a jam and it can mean your life and I do not want it written on my tombstone that here lies Old Dog whose gun did not go bang when it should have but it was not the gun's fault.

In the end, they were heavy to carry every day and not 100% reliable so I traded them in for small and easier to carry guns. I currently carry a Sig P938 9mm and XDs .45 acp. So I still have my two favorite calibers in very lightweight guns that can be pocket or belt carried. With the extended mags I have the same ammo capacity as the Defender. Now I normally slip one in my pocket holster and go about my day often forgetting about the gun in my pocket. I also wear them on my belt when I will be sitting down a lot and they are nice and thin and over 10 ounces lighter.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I had both and carried both. I love the look and feel of the Defender but neither the 9mm and .45 acp were 100% reliable. The .45 was much better than the 9mm and benefited from a good ramp polishing although they tell you not to remove the protective coating. However, the bullets hitting the feed ramp removed the protective coating anyway. I also owned the New Agent in 9mm but eventually did not like the trench sight system Good for close up work but not so good for distance. My experience with 3" barrel 1911 guns is that a 1911 is best the way it was originally designed. These guns were ammo fussy and not 100% reliable. I really do not care why they jammed and whose fault it was as some do because a jam is a jam and it can mean your life and I do not want it written on my tombstone that here lies Old Dog whose gun did not go bang when it should have but it was not the gun's fault.

In the end, they were heavy to carry every day and not 100% reliable so I traded them in for small and easier to carry guns. I currently carry a Sig P938 9mm and XDs .45 acp. So I still have my two favorite calibers in very lightweight guns that can be pocket or belt carried. With the extended mags I have the same ammo capacity as the Defender. Now I normally slip one in my pocket holster and go about my day often forgetting about the gun in my pocket. I also wear them on my belt when I will be sitting down a lot and they are nice and thin and over 10 ounces lighter.
    Typo maybe? There is only 1oz. difference between the XDs (21.5 oz). and the New Agent (22.5 oz). And 5.5 oz difference between the Colt and the 938, without it's magazine.

Colt New Agent® Series
    Specs for the XD-S 45mm Compact Pistol | Springfield Armory USA
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...blackwood.aspx
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

My girlfriend has one in 45 and it is a nice. It is compareable in size to my SR9c but hasn't been as reliable so far! Nice gun though, it may just need more breaking in?
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

I carry a .45 Defender all day every day.
    Have it on now as a matter of fact.
    Love it.

for the cost, I was not expecting to hear all the reliability issues.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    A good friend 'had' a Defender. It wasn't reliable with any ammo.

The most important requirement for a defensive gun is that it goes 'bang' every time you want it to, no exceptions. Period.

He sold it.

I have a SIG C3 (4.3" barrel, Officer's Model Grip length), it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I've tried. The Commander barrel length seems to be way less fussy about ammo. The officer's grip is easier to conceal. The alloy frame reduces the weight about 10 oz compared to a full size steel framed 1911.

All things considered, IMO the best carry configuration for a 1911 is the Commander length barrel (4" to 4.3") with the Officer's length grip.

Fitch
    ppkheat likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Defender experience

I've had a Colt Defender for about 6 years and carry it some of the time. I like the gun and it has been perfectly reliable. It is accurate and has a good trigger. The gun is thin and easy to conceal.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I do not own a colt defender, but I have had good experiences with the Kimber 3" 1911's in both .45 and 9mm. Both 100% reliable.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have one in .45 and have carried it now for about 3 years. No problems at all with it. Never missed a beat. And I bought one for my Son two years ago and he carries it as his off duty and he also has never had one FTE or FTF with his either.

We both bet our lives on one. And have carried one for years. And we both recommend this gun in .45

The secrete to any 1911 is the extractor. Good quality (which Colt puts in one) and good adjustment. Then they run and run.

Good quality carry gun. They are not cheap these days.

think I'm going to lean towards an SP101 in 357 instead, read a few to many bad things about the colt that I really wasn't expecting from a fairly expensive gun.

I've been carrying a New Agent off and on for a couple of years--same size as the Defender, just a little lighter.

I like it a lot. Very reliable.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I am thinking about buying the Defender, hopefully my restrictions will be lifted soon. I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom but having never carried before I am wondering if I will have trouble concealing the full size .45. Comments are always appreciated,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I do not own a colt defender, but I have had good experiences with the Kimber 3" 1911's in both .45 and 9mm. Both 100% reliable.
    I agree with bgusty. My Kimber 3" is my primary carry - totally reliable. A friend has a 3" Springfield (V-10???) and it is a little heavier, but it appears to be every bit as reliable as my Kimber. Both guns are .45's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links