First Time CCW / CPL - any recomendations?

This is a discussion on First Time CCW / CPL - any recomendations? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I just got my CPL lisense in the state of Michigan. I plan on carrying everyday all day. I've been looking at different guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Time CCW / CPL - any recomendations?

First Time CCW / CPL - any recomendations?

Hey, I just got my CPL lisense in the state of Michigan. I plan on carrying everyday all day. I've been looking at different guns for about 6 months now and this is what I've decided I want:

DA/SA
    external hammer
    9mm
    Full Size or Compact- no smaller
    under $600
    all metal frame -but its not a deal breaker.

For the last month or so I've had my heart set on a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. I really like the Sig p229 and the Springfield 1911, but those are far beyond my pricepoint. I'm wondering what other options / opinions the people on this forum have for recomending a handgun with those specs. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! If you are open to the polymer striker fire types, I wholeheartedly recommend either a Glock 23 (compact) or the sub compact Glock 27 both in. 40 caliber. Price point around $600. Both very concealable. The 23 has a bit more handgrip to hold onto. They are reliable and easy to breakdown. And Safe.

9mm ammo is scarce right now but. 40 is pretty available. It's a bit snappier than a 9, but controllable for sure

I have a Beretta PX4 SC .40 To me it is just to heavy to carry every day all day. Just me maybe because I am a wimp. Could be. But I have no prob with my Kahr CM9 at all. Forget it is there. Another thing that I must say is (if familiar) with Hickok45 he says that DA/SA is something he would stay away from in a CC firearm. The difference in the trigger pull is a prob. Maybe not for you but for him and for me too.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra419 View Post
    ...this is what I've decided I want:

DA/SA
    external hammer
    9mm
    Full Size or Compact- no smaller
    under $600
    all metal frame -but its not a deal breaker.
    DA/SA + external hammer + metal frame + <$600 rules out just about anything I can think of. Maybe a CZ or Bersa?

If you're OK with a polymer frame, you might consider a Ruger P90.

Personally, if I were shopping for a first/only handgun in that price range, it'd be an M&P, with Glock running a close second.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

FNH FNP-9 one of the finest shooting pistols ive had the pleasure of shooting. It is a polymer frame has interchangeable back straps and cones with three mags. Has external hammer with decocker and safety if needed. Overall a great pistol and accurate as I gets out of the box.

OP asks about all metal frame and gets "Glock, FNP, P90, Kahr, PX4" suggestions.

I have a CZ P-01. Alloy frame, 14 round 9mm. Lightweight, plenty of capacity and based off of the CZ 75 (one of the great service pistols of all time). If you are a careful shopper you can find them under $600.00

Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom shop have all the parts and accessories a guy could want. Another benefit is, that if you and your friends for some reason had to pile up all your handguns,,,,, you'd be able to pick yours out right away while they fish through a pile of plastic guns trying to guess which one belongs to who.

I'd take a close look at the CZ75 and its compact version - both appear to meet your selection criteria.

Welcome to the forum!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sierra,

I don't know why you'd require an all-metal frame, but for comfortable all-day carry, polymer is your best bet. First, you gotta handle a few pistols, not necessarily rent or fire, but handle as many as you can. Like a golf club or a guitar, when you find the "right" one, it will speak to you (or is that just me?).

Second, I cc a Beretta Nano all day everyday, and I love, love, LOVE it! It rides in a Theis hybrid IWB and soon in a PJHolster minimalist holster. As a bonus, you should be able to pick this up for $399-$450, leaving you with cash for a holster and maybe a class.

Third, the Glock 26 or G19 will be my second cc option, both in 9mm per your OP.

I tried the Glock, but decided instead on the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 compact. I just found the grip more natural. They make the same gun in a 9mm.

Here in Denver, I always recommend new shooters to go BluCore shooting range. For $20, you can rent all of their guns (one at a time) for their range. That is how my wife fell in love with the Sig P238. We went there looking at the 9mm, but after shooting all of them, ended up with the 380. Best $20 I have spent in a while.
    WE THE PEOPLE created the federal government. It is our “creature” as stated by Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.
    Our “creature”, can lawfully do only what WE authorized it to do in our Constitution. WE did not give our “creature” power to control medical care or our guns. - Publius-Huldah

I have the px4 sc in 9mm. If polymer isn't a deal breaker, I highly recommend it. Also would second the notion of a Glock if striker fire is an option. I love carrying my px4, but my glock 23 gets more carry time now. Get a good holster.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm going to stick with the px4 compact. That gun has style, quality, and comfort. It feels great and it meets all the specs I'm looking for. Keep em coming though

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Check out my avatar pic. That is a CZ75 compact in satin nickel. Now, you can't get one of those new anymore.

You can get the black polycoat model. CZ-USA CZ 75 Compact 9mm Black, 14 + 1 $483.00 SHIPS FREE
    The PCR is the decocker model. You can go a bit smaller with the 2075 RAMI. All of these will be among the best steel external hammer semi autos you can buy.

My second vote is the (discontinued) S&W 3900 series.
    used Smith & Wesson 3913 9mm $379.00 SHIPS FREE

i would look at the springfield xd subcompact in 9 or either 40... it was my first cc gun and i love it and i bought it under 400....the things thagt really sold me on it was the dual safetys that it has it has the backstrap safety along with trigger safety so i feel like chances are of a negiglance discharge is pretty slim. It also come with a flush mag and an extended mag so you wouldnt need extra mags for range if you didnt want them.
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Consider the Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra-Compact 9mm. It meets all your criteria, anyway.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links