DAO Snub Revolver As a Running/Walking CC Gun?

This is a discussion on DAO Snub Revolver As a Running/Walking CC Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to thinking earlier, for those of us who CC while doing outdoor activities like jogging or walking etc. what is the best choice in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DAO Snub Revolver As a Running/Walking CC Gun?

DAO Snub Revolver As a Running/Walking CC Gun?

Got to thinking earlier, for those of us who CC while doing outdoor activities like jogging or walking etc. what is the best choice in weapon? Personally, i'm a frequent jogger and carry a Kel Tec PF9 in a belly band under my shirt, I run on a known trail in the city of Dallas and carry for defense against robbery (has happened before, had a spree last spring) or potential dog/coyote attack (yes, coyotes live in the city, I've seen one a block from the American Airlines Center at night), never had to draw or use it fortunately (I carry OC as well). I carry 124gr+P Gold Dots, and that seems like it would be fine, but I'm kind of rethinking the overall weapon choice.

I'm not a revolver guy, never owned one actually, but doesn't a DAO revolver with an internal hammer seem like the perfect CC gun for this type of activity? I'm thinking an LCR or Airweight J frame in .357 or .38+P. As we all know, full power .357 Magnum from a snub is a beast to control, but for the one in a million chance that you have to put down that attacking coyote or robber/rapist, doesn't the almost infallible revolver design with a sledge hammer type load make sense? The super small/slim semi autos are all finicky not matter who makes them and in a high stress, likely at night, while physically exerted situation the room for operator error is amplified dramatically. A revolver negates a lot of this potential.

Some food for thought, chime in with yours please.

2. Remove Ads

I walk throughout the day and my Jframe in my front pocket is great. Now I am not tearing up the mall tiles on a power walk with the old ladies, but I dont have an issue with walking and carrying it. I do not run unless required...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I just got back from an hour jog down the trail, Glock 27 inside of thunderwear. I forget its even there.

I like hammers with spurs because I like choices, whether I use them or not. I frequent our old family place of fairly large acreage and might wish to take a shot at a varmint at longer yardage. While the small snubs aren't generally the main choice for hiking, fishing, or hunting, they have been "along for the ride" as additional back-up.

A few years back I was at my parents' place and happened upon a pesky skunk that my dad had already been gunning for. He was headed towards the briar patch when I engaged him at about 30 yards with my Smith & Wesson Chief's Special. Now for full disclosure, I popped two or three shots at him as he scampered to cover and missed each time so the use of the single-action trigger didn't accomplish the desired goal in this instance.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I find the S&W 637 to be one of my favorites.

It's light enough for any activity, and loaded with stout +p .38, it is able to put down just about any of 2 legged, 4 legged, as well as the slithering types in my area.

Shooting single-action, I've had no problem popping a water moccasin in the head from a safe distance.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.

The hammer spur is really not the problem many think it is. By just pressing the hammer spur's tip with one's thumb as he draws, a snag-free draw is effected with little or no loss of time. The hammer is worth it to me. It's just a matter of what is important to the person carrying the snub.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Ruger LCR in 38+P. 5 sure shots with a heavier bullet than a .380.

14 ounces of pure joy to carry, and a very light and smooth=very accurate Snubbie.

I only wish they would offer a 9mm version.
    Taurahe likes this.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

For pocket carry i use the 642 but for everyday carry primary is a SP 101 2.4 or a S&W mod 60 an a speed strip never feel under gunned

Jog daily with a 642 no-lock OWB, under a long t-shirt. They say, under stress, you don't even feel the trigger pull, or feel the recoil.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Before I bought my 442, I thought I wanted an exposed, or at least shrouded hammer. You know, for when I wanted to make precise target shots. Then I realized, this isn't a range gun! I want to train like I fight. I don't see drawing, cocking, and shooting. I won't carry cocked, so that leaves carrying hammer down and shooting DA. Wait, why did I want an exposed hammer?

My 442 has an Apex spring kit and a bit of polishing on the rebound slide and hammer. It's not a custom competition trigger, but it shoots like butter.

This summer, I plan on running with my 442.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I run with a Ruger LCR in a fanny pack. Thinking about that pistolwear holster, though. Or a smartcarry.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Yes to the revolver idea, no to the ultra-light .357. Out of an airweight .38 is more than enough.
    candalos likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I jog 10-15 miles a week... I usually feel most secure with my G26 in a belly-band. With no bouncing or movement against my body, it is very comfortable and I forget it's there. I have a Bodyguard 380 that I specifically bought for the purpose of a jogging gun. But with it's long trigger pull and small grip, I really don't shoot all that well in a point-shoot action. So it got relagated to a safe queen and the Glock gets outdoor athletic duty.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I run with a Ruger LCR in a fanny pack. Thinking about that pistolwear holster, though. Or a smartcarry.
    I give you tremendous credit for being the only other person in the world besides Hulk Hogan to admit to regularly wearing a fanny pack!

Which LCR do you have?
    Taurahe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    If you only plan to use the gun for SD I don't think an exposed hammer is necessary. But if you foresee needing to pop a skunk/varmint a little further out it's nice to be able to cock it for a SA shot.

I have mixed feelings about small revolvers. First off, I do like them. I've had three Taurus 85s over the years; all were dead reliable and all shot well. Yet, I've sold or traded them each time. I guess I'm not a big "revolver guy." I recognize their virtues but generally I just like semi-autos better. While five rounds of .357 or .38 +P should get the job done, I suck with a speed loader. In the back of my mind I'm always envisioning some situation where I've run the gun dry and can't affect a reload fast enough. Obviously, I could remedy with training. But my Beretta Nano holds either 6+1 or 8+1 and is fast to reload. Plus I shoot it better than I shoot a DA snubbie.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with. It's hard to beat the versatility and reliability of a good wheelgun, I'll concede that. Maybe I need to pick up another Taurus 85!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links