Sig P238 took a dump, Kimber Ultra still perfection!

This is a discussion on Sig P238 took a dump, Kimber Ultra still perfection! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the wife and daughter to shoot the P238 in Rainbow Titanium today. All I can say is, what a pile of crapola! Misfeeds, double ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sig P238 took a dump, Kimber Ultra still perfection!

Sig P238 took a dump, Kimber Ultra still perfection!

Took the wife and daughter to shoot the P238 in Rainbow Titanium today. All I can say is, what a pile of crapola! Misfeeds, double feeds, stove pipes, and all kinds of headache. Out of 75 rounds, I got maybe one mag out of it without fail. I am sure Sig can fix it, but the wife hates it now. And double whammy for me, she shot the hell out of my Kimber Ultra. She wants it for herself!

My Kimber went through 200 rounds of dirty, crappy ammo without issue. I shot PMC, Magtech, and Zero brands. The Zero's were 185gr hollow points, all else was 230gr ball. Even with my wife and daughter shooting with questionable form, it just kept on feeding round after round. It took me FOREVER to clean it and it was soooo mucked up with powder, yet never missed a beat! I love it! And my wife shot 2" groups at 7 yards (first time shooting it). I used to think I was a good shot, now I am pretty sure it is the gun

Anyways, Sig Sauer really made a pooch of a pistol that I paid a lot of money for and I am not happy with them. The Kimber on the other hand is still flawless since unboxing.
    goldmaster and Smarshe like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

My wife's P238 has been dead nuts reliable since the first 50 rounds. Did you strip it and lube it before you took it out?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    My wife's P238 has been dead nuts reliable since the first 50 rounds. Did you strip it and lube it before you took it out?
    Absolutely I did. Performed a clean and lube per the instructions. According to my research this is not an uncommon issue.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

That sucks. I've had two and both have been perfect. (238)

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    How old is the Sig? They made some changes to them a year or so ago to fix the problems.

I had a very early p238 that was garbage but I bought one for my GF in November that works perfectly.

It sucks when you pay good money for a shooter and it winds up being a paperweight. I never had good luck with minuscule guns unless they were j frames or PPK pistols.

That's why I stay away from the current crop of smallish guns that are all the rage these days. If its got to be deep concealment give me a time proven model chambered for a cartridge for which it was originally designed.
    Some have luck with them, but I suspect if the truth were told, most don't have the utmost confidence in the current " micro" guns they claim work so great.
    sebring, smolck and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Did you try different ammo?
    ericb327 likes this.

I agree, I stick with proven platforms for carry. I have several newer semi autos I take to therange but stik with my snubs for cc.

I have shot several different kinds of ammo thru my 238 and have had no failures of any kind. It is my main edc. I guess everyone has issues at times. I would be disappointed also. Hope it gets fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It sucks when you pay good money for a shooter and it winds up being a paperweight. I never had good luck with minuscule guns unless they were j frames or PPK pistols.

That's why I stay away from the current crop of smallish guns that are all the rage these days. If its got to be deep concealment give me a time proven model chambered for a cartridge for which it was originally designed.
    Some have luck with them, but I suspect if the truth were told, most don't have the utmost confidence in the current " micro" guns they claim work so great.
    Truer words I have not heard. I only bought the Sig because my wife said she would actually carry a gun that was "rainbow titanium". After the range trip today she only wants a 1911 and she only wants a .45acp. I told her she could get the Kimber in 9mm and she said "is that one as big as yours", I said "nope", she said "no, I want a 45". I smiled.

It does suck though, I am out over $700 clams for a paperweight as you said. Did not expect this from Sig. I do not know when this particular gun was made, only that the guy I bought from said he bought it a few months ago. Who knows? And yes, I ran several types of ammo through it. It performed worse with round nose lead than hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Truer words I have not heard. I only bought the Sig because my wife said she would actually carry a gun that was "rainbow titanium". After the range trip today she only wants a 1911 and she only wants a .45acp. I told her she could get the Kimber in 9mm and she said "is that one as big as yours", I said "nope", she said "no, I want a 45". I smiled.

It does suck though, I am out over $700 clams for a paperweight as you said. Did not expect this from Sig. I do not know when this particular gun was made, only that the guy I bought from said he bought it a few months ago. Who knows? And yes, I ran several types of ammo through it. It performed worse with round nose lead than hollow points.

To add insult to injury, I just got my Pure Kustom Holster (bought it new but from a private party who didn't want it) and I don't like it. Seems too hard to be comfortable. I am striking out big time today.
    LOL! Its called the "law of averages" my friend. You get to goin thru guns like you have been doing, and sooner or later you will get a problem child. I used to be the same way. I kept myself broke, and the LGS in profits, till I finally got settled on what I like and got comfortable with that.

I'd send it back, let'em fix it, and sell it, and get that gal a 1911 in 45. Then the world will be right as rain once again.
    smolck likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    LOL! Its called the "law of averages" my friend. You get to goin thru guns like you have been doing, and sooner or later you will get a problem child. I used to be the same way. I kept myself broke, and the LGS in profits, till I finally got settled on what I like and got comfortable with that.

I'd send it back, let'em fix it, and sell it, and get that gal a 1911 in 45. Then the world will be right as rain once again.
    Wise words. Glad the sickness gets better over time. Gotta say, this 3" Kimber has all the makings of a great carry piece. So all I have to do is find one for her and then quit buying guns! Honestly, the best thing for me would be if the expanded background legislation passed and armslist.com was shut down, I have no self control!

(Wife) shot the hell out of my Kimber Ultra. She wants it for herself! And my wife shot 2" groups at 7 yards (first time shooting it).
    After the range trip today she only wants a 1911 and she only wants a .45acp. I told her she could get the Kimber in 9mm and she said "is that one as big as yours", I said "nope", she said "no, I want a 45". I smiled.

It does suck though, I am out over $700 clams for a paperweight as you said.

Downside is: you need to do a couple of transactions and you'll likely be out a few hundred.

Upside is: you've got a .45ACP convert, a 1911 convert, as well as someone who can out-shoot you who's on your security detail. Good day at the range, too!

Hard to argue with that. Draw a long, cold one, sit back and revel in how good life can be.

Congratulations to your wife, along with her new nickname: Sniper.
    smolck and glockman10mm like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, my wife owns every gun I think is mine, to the point where I have to confer with her before I trade or sell. But the up side is I am still allowed to buy without congressional approval.

A gun that shots as poorly as that , you will never trust it.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links