Trade offer

Trade offer

This is a discussion on Trade offer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got an FNX-40 and I've had trade offers for used HK USP 9mm compact. What ya'll think I should do?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trade offer

Trade offer

Just got an FNX-40 and I've had trade offers for used HK USP 9mm compact. What ya'll think I should do?

It doesn't matter what we think. What do you think?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Both are great guns, the one that will make you happy is the one for you.
    oneshot likes this.

Take the HK!

-424D57

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Both are great guns, the one that will make you happy is the one for you.
    this ^^^^^^
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Do you already have a dependable CC pistol?
    Will this be your primary?
    Will it be a HD/Range pistol?
    I have enough carry pistols to last 3 people a lifetime, so this would be easy for me, as both pistols are really really nice.
    I would take the FN.
    If you need an excellent defensive CC pistol, take the HK.
    But only choose THE ONE if it feels good to you.
    Try to shoot them both as well if you haven't already, and judge each on their own merits.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Straight across? Make the trade before the other dude sobers up! Used the HK would sell for around $850 here. The FN is worth $600 new, tops.

That aside, unless you don't want a 9mm, go with the HK. FN makes very good guns, but I prefer HK. NOTE: I am an unabashed HK fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

HK is probably worth more, so you are getting the better end of that trade money wise, but its up to you on if either one of those fits a niche better. Is this a home defense gun? Carry gun? Home defense I would keep the FN, carry gun I would switch to the HK.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

It's a carry and HD gun

Why does the owner want to trade? What is the condition of the HK? How old is the HK? There is a date code on the HK - it is two letters. See if you can get the two letters (NOT THE "DE") and you can tell when the USP was made.

• A - 0
    • B - 1
    • C - 2
    • D - 3
    • E - 4
    • F - 5
    • G - 6
    • H - 7
    • I - 8
    • K - 9

The HK would normally be worth so much more than the FN, that I would wonder why the person is offering.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The old adage of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

My first instinct would be "What's wrong with the HK?"

Age wouldn't deter me from the HK. They're built like tanks, and no USP of any kind is going to more than 20 years old. I would probably prefer one with a code KF or later; the '95 and later guns incorporated the current firing pin which was an improvement over the original. It should be readily apparent if they gun is good condition. Is the guy offering the trade a buddy? Can you shoot it first? Again, if after a visual inspection it looks good I wouldn't worry.

As for the value thing, there's no reason I'd be suspicious. People often trade things of unequal value for lots of reasons. Maybe he really wants an FNP and his wife won't let him "spend" any more money. Maybe he's hot and bothered to move to striker fired guns. Maybe the USP doesn't fit his hand or he can't find any 9mm ammo. Lots of reasons that aren't nefarious.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

If you wanted an HK you would have purchased an HK, but you didn't you purchased an FN. Keep the FN.

dba
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    If you wanted an HK you would have purchased an HK, but you didn't you purchased an FN.
    That’s not necessarily true. Perhaps the OP didn’t know about HK when he / she bought the FN. I always wanted a Belgian Browning Hi Power and finally got one. When I saw the HK USP for the first time, I traded the HP straight across for a used HK. Now I have another Belgian HP and might trade the HK for a 1911. Perhaps the OP couldn’t afford the HK outright or perhaps he /she is a serial flipper and bought the FN with every intention of trading it. Only the OP knows why he / she bought an FN instead of an HK originally.

To the OP: If you don’t think you’ll like the FN, trade for the HK. I love mine and carried it with pride at work for 20+ years. Never, ever, ever had any type of failure. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    ...Maybe he really wants an FNP and his wife won't let him "spend" any more money. Maybe he's hot and bothered to move to striker fired guns. Maybe the USP doesn't fit his hand or he can't find any 9mm ammo. Lots of reasons that aren't nefarious.
    The FNP and FNX models of FNHs are hammer fired. The FNS is the striker fired version. For some reason, I see the striker fired FNs selling at about $50 more than the hammer fired versions.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links