Just bought a new one!

This is a discussion on Just bought a new one! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out looking for the elusive M&P Shield and ran across a Taurus TCP PT738. Now I know.....I don't even care for the Taurus ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigsky109

Thread: Just bought a new one!

Just bought a new one!

I was out looking for the elusive M&P Shield and ran across a Taurus TCP PT738. Now I know.....I don't even care for the Taurus but after handling it and trying the trigger I found it to be smoother than the Ruger LCP and the slide locks back on the last round. I figured for $185.00 I couldn't go wrong and picked this up. I figured I would carry this one around and leave the .40Cal at home for the wife to use for home defense. If and when I find the M&P shield I will pick it up and pass this little .380 down to the wife to carry.

This little gun is so small I know I will carry it EveryDay! After reading around here and other sites I found out the .380 isn't too bad for defense, better than nothing and will easily back up my .40Cal if necessary. I haven't found any ammo yet, but carried it around in my back pocket and never thought anything of it. My wallet is thicker than this gun! Even comfortable when sitting down. Now I know why people carry these "mouse guns". They are just like a pocket knife carrying.

I also picked up the BLACKHAWK pocket holster, very comfortable in the pocket.

Here are a few pics:
    P4220001.jpgP4220001-1.jpgP4220002.jpgP4220003.jpg
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking gun... You won't find alot of Tauras likers on this site, however i currently have a PT145 and i have never had ANY issues with this gun... Treated me well. I have since added the new Springfield XDS .45 and love it! Good luck and enjoy...

I am not a Taurus liker either but reading other places and seeing reviews on this gun all were favorable. I almost bought the Ruger but saving $110.00 was well worth it. In fact some of the reviewers stated the Taurus had better recoil and a smoother trigger, I agree so far. Some of the reviews stated the grip was better since it was a little larger. I really didn't want to look at the Taurus but the price did swing my vote to warrant research.

Nice looking little gun! Overall I favor full sized service-type sidearms, but I still have a sneaking affection for the little pistols.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Congrats on your new gun and may it serve you well and may you enjoy it !!! Just like any new firearm that comes out, when the Taurus TCP first came out, there were some teething problems that many people experienced, but that was back in 2009. Now most of the time, they seem to be very solid with many happy owners. Only problem is that the so called *teething* problems always follow the Taurus brand and gives it a spotty reputation. When people have problems with their Glocks, they give the brand many numerous chances to redeem itself. Just my opinion and observation. God Bless

CSL
    Keep us posted on how it shoots, carries, and holds up. I am very interested in picking one of these up as a back-up/pocket gun. The $200 price tag makes them very tempting!
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

I've had an LCP and TCP, as I've said before - I'll take a TCP over an LCP any day of the week.

Great guns, especially if you get the newer C serial...

Congrats, and enjoy.

A new gun is always nice! Hope it serves you well. Stay safe. Looking forward to the range report.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I have not seen one of these in person and I cannot tell by the pictures. Does this pistol have an external thumb safety?

It is one of the newer "C" numbers. I just picked up some ammo and should have a range report this weekend. It does not have any thumb safety and the looks of it just like the other small .380's, it has no safety. Trigger pull is long on all these guns but this one is a lot smoother than the Ruger and a LOT nicer than the Kel-Tec. It is also one of the only ones that will lock the slide on the last round. The Ruger and the Kel-Tec do not notify you of the last round. Not good in my book if you use this in a defense position and try to shoot an empty chamber.
    Thunder71 likes this.

Links